SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
SE R Madness said:
This is going to be the 2nd autozone alt I will be returning.. what is with these Reman alts??
It did not happen to me, but a friend of minie went through 7 Auto zone alternators before he went to the dealer. I went to Start smart and it has been OK so far. I had more trouble with the bolts falling. Good luck!! Dominic

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
for reman type stuff i usually only trust NAPA. the other thing to look as buying the parts to rebuild them yourself.

·
Blast From The Past...
1,994 Posts
BigB said:
for reman type stuff i usually only trust NAPA. the other thing to look as buying the parts to rebuild them yourself.
Yeah NAPA is a good place to get parts from, even though I work at PEP BOYS and can get discounts. I dont trust there reman stuff, bad experiences with them such as my starter.

·
Registered
496 Posts
If you want to go the rebuild-it-yourself route, buying the parts from the dealer (even from Greg) will leave you well behind even a Nissan reman - it's some serious $$. Best bet for that would likely be getting the parts from a local electrical-rebuild/parts place.

David

·
I blame the internet
1,518 Posts
i just changed the brushes in my alternator when it went first, that little fix was about 8 bucks and lasted almost a year. after the brushes went on me recently, i just got a reman. alternator for $153 from nissan. p.s. - my dad works at nissan so thats why its cheap.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
SE R Madness said:
how much is a factory nissan alt? $500??
Nissan sells Reman alternators too, but they should be alot better then the advance/auto zone crap. They are about 225 from nissan (courtesy).

My advance autoparts reman just died, only had it for a few months. Got a new one today. I'm giving it two months.

-Mike

·
Whut?That Ain't No Hondah
2,558 Posts
BigB said:
the other thing to look as buying the parts to rebuild them yourself.
Comming from the man who paid to have a shop replace a clutch-cable :D

Just kidding.... but personally I got a hookup a reman reciept so i can just swap em out for free. Its a 45min job start to finish so I can live with that for 0$ out of pocket.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
shortly after I got my car 3 or so years ago, I went through like 5 alternators in a month. I finally got one that lasted... for a year. I put a nissan alternator in and it is still going strong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts