SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Nissan Enthusiast
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how the freight company told me the motor was shipped.

Can someone tell me if there are any problems with me running this motor with this kinked pipe?

Now, I think that the freight company missed with the forklift when moving the engine and knock off this piece of the housing. What do you guys think can I still use the motor or is it a bad idea?

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a missing bolt here cause an exhaust leak? I don't even think there is enough room to put a bolt in this spot.

Ok, now for the turbo. This is an SC61 and I am told by the seller it boosted and held perfectly at 30 PSI. I don't plan on running more than 15PSI. Anyway, this thing has massive shaft play. Is this thing scrapped or can I get this rebuilt? I have no idea what possible could has caused this damage to the compressor blades.

Please help answer my questions. I am so frustrated right now I can't even think straight.

Thanks,

·
Ruby Red SE-R
1,578 Posts
Dude look at the freakin wheels on the turbo. It looks as if the turbo sucked up a bolt or nut or something and chewed it up. That's gonna need a rebuild. Was it insured during shipping and if you don't mind me asking did you purchase this from a SR20forum member. I would be supremely pissed if I were you right now!!!!!!!!!!!:squint: :squint: :squint: :squint:

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
HOLY ****!!!! You have a few issues going on there.........

From what I see the piece of the block missing isn't a good thing, the blades on the turbo look fubar'd, the manifold looks cracked, and the oil tube is facked. I would be either getting a hold of the seller of the freight company right away.

·
Ruby Red SE-R
1,578 Posts
That kinked pipe is just a OEM oil drain for the stock oil seperator. You should be fine.

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
Now that I look at it the previous owner might of bent that oil drain pipe to fit the manifold on and it wasn't the shipping company on that one.

·
Ruby Red SE-R
1,578 Posts
Now that I look at it the previous owner might of bent that oil drain pipe to fit the manifold on and it wasn't the shipping company on that one.
^^^^^ X2 I was just about to say that. What poor fabrication man.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Nissan Enthusiast
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude look at the freakin wheels on the turbo. It looks as if the turbo sucked up a bolt or nut or something and chewed it up. That's gonna need a rebuild. Was it insured during shipping and if you don't mind me asking did you purchase this from a SR20forum member. I would be supremely pissed if I were you right now!!!!!!!!!!!:squint: :squint: :squint: :squint:
I am extremely pissed right now and I did buy off a member. The shipper did not insure the motor, which I had no idea he didn't. do you think the turbo can even be rebuilt? How much?

·
Big Cheddar fan club
1,466 Posts
THAT SUCKS!!!!!! I have a turbo that looks just like that. IMO I think it is scrap but, I'm not a pro on rebuilding turbos. You really have a mess there and I hope you can get some sort of satifaction or compensation for it.

·
Ruby Red SE-R
1,578 Posts
Yeah it can be rebuilt just gonna change the wheels and whatever else is messed up in there but the question is how much. Was this a running motor with blown turbo that you purchased or what????? I would contact the seller asap.

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
A rebuilt, I don't think you need a whole new center section, which might cost close to the cost of a new turbo... someone correct me if I'm wrong in this thought.

That's a awful big chunk of motor missing there... can you actually see into the oil pan... looks like it.

I'd be talking to the person you bought this from on what they were thinking when they didn't opt to pay for insurance.

·
From Miami to New York
1,999 Posts
Another lesson learned. Dont buy from people you dont know. Ask for pics of EVERYTHING and how it looks BEFORE they ship, with pics and everything. Ask for every detail. Sucks man, I hope you got a good price because you could have bought a DET sell off some parts and bought those same exact parts new for probably less money.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

From what I see the piece of the block missing isn't a good thing, the blades on the turbo look fubar'd, the manifold looks cracked, and the oil tube is facked. I would be either getting a hold of the seller of the freight company right away.
I don't think I saw any cracks in the manifold. Is the piece missing from the block going to cause me that much concern running 15 psi? There is no oil leaking from that broken piece.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah it can be rebuilt just gonna change the wheels and whatever else is messed up in there but the question is how much. Was this a running motor with blown turbo that you purchased or what????? I would contact the seller asap.
According to the seller, he only put 1k miles on this motor is was recently rebuilt with eagle rods, weisco pistons, etc. Yes, he said it was coming off a running motor.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another lesson learned. Dont buy from people you dont know. Ask for pics of EVERYTHING and how it looks BEFORE they ship, with pics and everything. Ask for every detail. Sucks man, I hope you got a good price because you could have bought a DET sell off some parts and bought those same exact parts new for probably less money.
Definitely, a lesson learned. Actually, I paid quite a bit for it because the picture I saw of it was in the car. There were no picture of the compressor wheel and I didn't think to ask. Dude my wife is so pissed at me right now. I'm so confused I don't even know what to do.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A rebuilt, I don't think you need a whole new center section, which might cost close to the cost of a new turbo... someone correct me if I'm wrong in this thought.

That's a awful big chunk of motor missing there... can you actually see into the oil pan... looks like it.

I'd be talking to the person you bought this from on what they were thinking when they didn't opt to pay for insurance.
No, you can't see the oil pan. It is a clean break but you do see the dowel pin and I now have one less hole to mount the transmission. I think this was the freight company's fault. Because the break looks recent.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Nissan Enthusiast
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I sent SR20Starlet a PM asking him to resond to this thread...
Well, honestly out of this whole ordeal I am most pissed about the turbo. But he did say that he did not have any problem with the boost on it and the turbo worked fine except is smoked at idle. Anyway, is this motor even worth putting in? He and I are filing a claim with the freight company for the damage to the block.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

When I went to pick up the motor at the freight terminal they said that the way I picked it up (what you see in the picture) is how it was shipped. I spoke with the shipper and he confirmed that it was boxed and taped securely. So, now I have filed a claim and they said they are waiting on the corporate office to decide if they are going to send an inspector out to look at the motor. Haven't heard from them yet.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts