SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive Got A Gtir Swap, Came With No Ic Or Piping. Im Running It Right Now With Stock Gtir Ecu As Well As Everything Else. Weve Just Got Done Fabbing Ic Piping And Are Trying To Figure Out What To Do About A Blow Off Valve. Do I Need To Recirculate Blow Off Or Can I Blow Off Into Atmosphere. And Either Way What Do You Guys Prefer As Far As Blowoff Valves Go.
Thanks,
Todd

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
TYPEILL said:
Ive Got A Gtir Swap, Came With No Ic Or Piping. Im Running It Right Now With Stock Gtir Ecu As Well As Everything Else. Weve Just Got Done Fabbing Ic Piping And Are Trying To Figure Out What To Do About A Blow Off Valve. Do I Need To Recirculate Blow Off Or Can I Blow Off Into Atmosphere. And Either Way What Do You Guys Prefer As Far As Blowoff Valves Go.
Thanks,
Todd
Search my good friend!

Manny

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
You should recirculate it the car will run much better. I have a Greddy Type S and it works well for me.

·
Registered
947 Posts
maybe if you had a stand alone EMS or SAFC you could run the bov to atmosphere, but with the stock ECU (or a JWT ECU) you will run into drivability problems unless your recirculate

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
webninja said:
maybe if you had a stand alone EMS or SAFC you could run the bov to atmosphere, but with the stock ECU (or a JWT ECU) you will run into drivability problems unless your recirculate
Even with the SAFC or emanage, its only a band aid for the problem. Running Open BOV's of MAF equipped cars IS a problem. Why create a problem with no benefit only to put a band aid over it. Do you cut your arm for fun so you can put a band aid over it? NO. RECIRCULATE!!!!

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Hmm, this answers a question that I was going to search for. Cool.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
TYPEILL said:
Ive Got The Turbo Xs Type H Rfl. Thatll Do The Trick.
I think that's the one that'll blow into the atmosphere instead of recirculating the air.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yeah, thats an atmospheric bov only..... it can be recirculated, but it's kind a pain and it doesn't work too well.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
200sxsr20de said:
Yeah, thats an atmospheric bov only..... it can be recirculated, but it's kind a pain and it doesn't work too well.

I wouldn't even want to try recirculating the TurboXS bov. I do love the way it sounds though. This is what I'd buy if I wanted something loud and didn't care about drivability issues.

Something like the Greddy Type S (the one on the right) is what I'd buy to make life easy on me and the drivability of the car.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
The turboxs rfl leaks. Don't buy it. I got a lot of power once I switched to the type s.

Justin

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have the h-rfl and it works just fine. holds boost very well with no leaks, and its used on many many high horsepower applications.

i do have idling issues, but im going to try to tune the car with the afc-ii i just bought to fix it (i heard that does the trick).

sounds soooo good.... seriously its worth having idling problems with this bov. i turn all heads within a 1/4mi radius when it goes off.

·
MYSPACE.COM/STREETARMOUR
684 Posts
I had a Greddy Type S and I sold it for a C note. I want to buy the Greddy Type R BOV, but I do not know what the difference is between the two? Does anyone know the difference between the S & the R??

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Type R is for when you need to hold higher boost than what the Type S was designed for.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
The type R is for the big dogs. It has a much larger oraface so if you are running 20 plus lbs of boost it will bleed off the pressure much faster then the type S.

They can both "hold" lots of boost since there is just as much pressure holding the valve closed as there is trying to open it. I.E. 30 psi forcing the valve open and 30 psi forcing it closed cancel each other out.

2nd Runner said:
I had a Greddy Type S and I sold it for a C note. I want to buy the Greddy Type R BOV, but I do not know what the difference is between the two? Does anyone know the difference between the S & the R??

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
type R is for manly men. only real men run the Type R. ****.

seriously though. i love my Type R. no girly whistling noises, just a solid whoosh.

and, the spring isnt fighting the boost. its fighting the DIFFERENCE in boost. the main reason for the spring is to return the poppet to its closed position. the boost in the intake manifold is what holds the BOV closed. usually, there is a couple psi difference in boost in the pipes as opposed to the intake manifold.

the type R has such a heavy spring, and is so large, you need to give it its own vacuum source though. do a search for my name and "gobbling turkey"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts