SR20 Forum banner

remote batt to trunk

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  PULSSSAR 
#1 ·
Was wondering if there was anyone that used 4 guage wire for their batt relocation to the trunk. I was thinking about moving it to the trunk but i dont want to waste my 4 guage for my stereo. Can i use that?? Thanks

#5 ·
well according to iasca if your power wire run is 16 feet and you car pulls 75 amps 4 gauge is fine. but if your run is longer or you car pulls more current a larger wire is required.

#6 ·
I want to figure out why when I relocated my battery I blew one of the big fuses that were attached to the battery tray and didn't trip my breaker...well atleast I don't think I blew my breaker. Has any other B14 owners blown that expensive fuse in the fuse box by the battery tray?

I bought a ANL 250AMP fuse now and am going to try it.

#7 ·
Tomcat5678 said:
I want to figure out why when I relocated my battery I blew one of the big fuses that were attached to the battery tray and didn't trip my breaker...well atleast I don't think I blew my breaker. Has any other B14 owners blown that expensive fuse in the fuse box by the battery tray?

I bought a ANL 250AMP fuse now and am going to try it.
How expensive was this fuse you blew? I think I blew mine last night relocating my battery...CRAP

#8 ·
NismoNX said:
How expensive was this fuse you blew? I think I blew mine last night relocating my battery...CRAP
What setup did you have for relocating it? Just to see if it was a fluke when I did it or if there is something similar in our setup.

I blew one of the fuses in the little black box attached to the battery tray. I believe it was a rectangle-ish green colored fuse. If I remember right it cost $11 from the $tealership and that was with my discount I think.

Let me know what happens.

-Erik

#9 ·
Tomcat5678 said:
What setup did you have for relocating it? Just to see if it was a fluke when I did it or if there is something similar in our setup.

I blew one of the fuses in the little black box attached to the battery tray. I believe it was a rectangle-ish green colored fuse. If I remember right it cost $11 from the $tealership and that was with my discount I think.

Let me know what happens.

-Erik
I bought the relocation kit from Summit Racing. I could smell something electrical being shorted out. Question for you: If Summit Racing sent me the wrong cable guage and ran too much amperage would that short out my fuses? I could smell the smell coming from the battery tray mounted fuse box...I think...Which fuse did you blow? I have no electrical components that work in my car.?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

#10 ·
I believe it was in the smaller of the two fuse boxes, but I don't know if B13's have 2, I did on my B14. Like I said, if I remember right I think I blew a rectangle green fuse. It was easy to spot when I opened up the fuse holder because they are very big and you can see that the fuse wire is blown through the little window on top of the fuse.

If you can, go check and report back.

#12 ·
If I remember right I have 2 ga. but I think I might upgrade to 1/O just for shits and giggles.

I may play it dangerous and just hook up my new 250amp fuse with the 2 ga. and see how it works since I already have that wire run through my car and ready to go.

If it works then I saved myself the price of new expensive 1/O and if not then I have to buy another $11 fuse and the wire. (Man I hope the 2 ga. works.)

#13 ·
wow u guys are taking chances with these things???

2 ga is MARGINAL according to my calculations, how long the cable is (15ft) and how much the starter can pull / how much the alternator can charge, etc.

1 ga is safe. and with that use a 140amp circuit breaker.

A bigger fuse doesnt mean you are supplying more current, it just means it will take more current b4 the fuse blows.

with a 250amp fuse, it will take a direct short, like touching the red wire to the car body, while the negative is connected to the battery, b4 the fuse blows.

#14 ·
That's what I thought at first but I've talked to a bunch of people that use 200+ amp fuses with 4 ga. and 2 ga. I didn't think the math worked out either but it has been proven more than once to work.

#16 ·
Tomcat5678 said:
I believe it was in the smaller of the two fuse boxes, but I don't know if B13's have 2, I did on my B14. Like I said, if I remember right I think I blew a rectangle green fuse. It was easy to spot when I opened up the fuse holder because they are very big and you can see that the fuse wire is blown through the little window on top of the fuse.

If you can, go check and report back.
When I tried to start my car, I could hear a vibrating noise from thast green relay you speak of...does this mean it is screwed? I went to Schuck' sAuto Parts and told them what happened and they said it wasn't the relay that was bad. They said to put my battery back in the front of my car and see if it works and go from there...

#17 ·
I use 4awg for the chassis, starter/alternator, etc...

I run seperate 8awg for my ECU (which controls injectors, etc) and another seperate 8awg for my CDI unit which powers ignition :)

I've not had a problem. I have 1ft of 4awg earth from the battery to the boot floor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.