SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some have done it. What are the negatives? Not a race car rental just a regular street car. Any downsides other than the obvious liability?

·
Her 1st track day in 2017
2,105 Posts
You may want to verify that your DE allows rentals. The SE-R Conventions are the only DE's that I have attended that allowed rentals - Porsche, Audi, & BWM events are more local to me and they typically do not allow rentals.

Brakes and tires would probably be the downfalls to the rentals (since they will probably be all-seasons & quiet/non-squeaking brakes) - just thinking about standard rentals not S2000's, EVO's, etc.

Josh

·
Captain Slow
149 Posts
HPDEs run by larger regional orgs (that aren't associated with car clubs) don't really seem to care. Tyres and brakes, as Fosters said, would be the primary concern if you're running in HPDE 2 or higher. Don't push too hard near the end of your sessions or Avis might ask you about the chunked shoulders.

On the other hand, the lack of overall grip and the less aggressive brakes might teach you something new. Who knows? It might even be a productive exercise.

·
3 NX2000's
720 Posts
I rented a Mini Cooper S for the SERCA National Convention the last time it was in So. Cal. The tires and brakes held up really well, rental agency never said anything, and I found out how well the Stability Control System works to keep the car from spinning around in transitions.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys. Kind of what I was thinking. I don't see an issue and I am not going to push too hard. I am one of the technical inspectors for the event so the car will get in. I am going to replace the brake fluid with some ATE Gold fluid. Should be fine. I just don't really like the track too much so I am going for the Saturday night pig roast and help with tech. More of a social weekend. Race car is staying home.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
Wouldn't it make more sense to borrow someone's DE car?

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Personally I reccommend a Buick for track events.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Personally I reccommend a Buick for track events.

Nah, Pontiac Grand Am FTW:

It doesn't have that racey name for nothing... :D Yes, it's high centered. Just lean forward and it comes off...

I've run rentals (as most of you know) at many, many, many events. As long as you don't go shouting to the world that it's a rental, most don't say anything.

Rentals generally aren't fast enough, nor have good enough tires to boil the brakes. Plus, since they're not your tires, you can always just trail brake instead to scrub speed. :D

Stay away from the Mazda 6 (or probably any automatic Mazda). The damned near self-aware computer would determine I was abusing the car too much and take away the manual gear select function and shift straight to 6th. This is a major problem when the first time you discover this is going really hot into turn 8 at Willow Springs. Nothing like 100+mph 4 wheels drifts with no cage, a wall close enough, and no way to correct it in time with the gas pedal. Yikes!

Oh, I would also disable the ABS. If (when) you go off track, ABS is nearly worthless in the dirt (read: NEARLY NO BRAKE APPLICATION WHATSOEVER). Since you're always told to go both feet in (well, one foot with an automatic) when you go off track, this can get, err, exciting?

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
ya know... I still have some pics of the tires from that Buick :) I would say, get something small like the Focus. Also, like Rockwood said, you don't need to worry about the brakes. Rentals are too damn slow anyways.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The deficiencies of a street car are so amplified at the track. Luckily it made good power. Thing worked well at the skidpad. Had a good weekend. Buddy bought a Radical SR3 and let me drive it for a session. We were both in the 1:30's at Shenandoah right away which is pretty decent with no seat time and no setup.

·
Pâté Performance...
1,274 Posts
WHo remembers the rental Focus from the 2001 convention in DC? They had 5 people in that thing going around the track! :eek:

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Rockwood is such a baller with rental cars... The Grand Am suffered I think the worst than any car at the conventions.

The Malibooty was not tortured as much...

Cheers-
Erich

·
Pâté Performance...
1,274 Posts
You probably want to skip the ON STAR equipped cars and I think you would be ok :tongue:
"Hello On Star?.....I'm experiencing some MAJOR brake fade in my rental car here on the RACE TRACK, can you help me?" :rofl:

·
Beware....THE BEAR!!
1,730 Posts
when we get cars returned we just check miles, gas level, and just take a quick walk around looking for any damages

·
70/30 Racing
2,372 Posts
The Malibooty was not tortured as much...

Cheers-
Erich
Cause that thing had to take our asses back home from Texas.

I will say that you do learn a lot from rentals. Nothing like taking a car to the limits when you know you don't have to fix or take it home.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts