SR20 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
reckless imprudent
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, my sr20's got 105,000km (around 61k miles). i know that most sr20 motors got a sucky chain tensioner with it, causing this "clakclackclakclack!" noise then when starting the engine. se-r.net's got an article about this.

my questions are:

when starting the engine and hearing the usual "clackclack" sound, i noticed that the check engine oil light is on. the light turns off as soon as the chainy noise goes away. is this some kind of "oil having a hard time going up" case? im sure i have enough motor oil in the motor, and i dont have any leaks.

if i get lazy and ignore this for the meantime, since i dont feel its affecting performance, can this cause me major problems later?

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
pazuso said:
hello, my sr20's got 105,000km (around 61k miles). i know that most sr20 motors got a sucky chain tensioner with it, causing this "clakclackclakclack!" noise then when starting the engine. se-r.net's got an article about this.

my questions are:

when starting the engine and hearing the usual "clackclack" sound, i noticed that the check engine oil light is on. the light turns off as soon as the chainy noise goes away. is this some kind of "oil having a hard time going up" case? im sure i have enough motor oil in the motor, and i dont have any leaks.

if i get lazy and ignore this for the meantime, since i dont feel its affecting performance, can this cause me major problems later?
Nope; nothing to worry about. It's just the startup clatter that goes away one oil is circulating throughout the engine. :biggthump

·
Registered
SR20DE stock G20 p10 highport
101 Posts
A known-bad chain tensioner should be changed. A slack chain might skip a tooth on one of the timing sprockets if the bad tensioner is ignored.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts