SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what Nissan was thinking when they stuck the alternator into the engine bay of the NX, Has anyone had to replace thiers? I think mine went out becuase the upper radiator hose was leaking right into it, Im rplacing the hose in about 20 min and im gonna spray some brake clean into it maybe its just a gunk build up. I HOPE TO GOD..... Otherwise im gonna have to pay a **** load for someone else to take it out. Any tips would help alot. Thanx

·
Finnish Nut
171 Posts
DoubleClutchin said:
I dont know what Nissan was thinking when they stuck the alternator into the engine bay of the NX, Has anyone had to replace thiers? I think mine went out becuase the upper radiator hose was leaking right into it, Im rplacing the hose in about 20 min and im gonna spray some brake clean into it maybe its just a gunk build up. I HOPE TO GOD..... Otherwise im gonna have to pay a **** load for someone else to take it out. Any tips would help alot. Thanx
Where should they have put it??
I'm on my 4th alternator so far, replaced it ones because of a coolant leak.
Taking the alternator out isn't very difficult, you should be able to do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
make sure u just take out all the things in your way, like the coolant bottle, the radiator tubing, and the little housing it attaches to on the block. with that out of the way its realitivly easy. oh ya a little tip, when u need to get that one big bolt out that the alternator swivels on, use a really long flat blade to "pry" the bolt off. you'll know what i mean when u see it.

·
8,148 Posts
Yeah, you have to take off that radiator upper rad thing on the block. My only problem is that I tapped there for my temp guage. (So one of the 10mm bolts cannot come out without removing the sensor) But I am getting that water pickup thing that is available (the shaped spacer that is pre tapped) and replace it.

·
suspected eskimo
603 Posts
Just remove the coolant bottle and you should have no problems with getting the alternator.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
It's only about a 5 minute job to remove the alternator. If you want a challenge, try replacing the water pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im not very mechanically minded but i did change my alternator. Same thing, coolant leak. I agree with fast NX. My water pump was done under warranty (thank GOD) and I watched em do it, c**t of a job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts