SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not exactly a replacement as this will be the new family car.

1998 Honda Odyssey

Ad still up on cars.com here:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=167539752&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=0&leadExists=true&criteria=K-|E-|M-_18_|B-6000|D-_215_|N-N|R-50|I-1|P-PRICE+descending|Q-descending|Z-46902&aff=tenness

Got it for $5,000. Picking it up Friday. We've been looking for something with three rows of seats, non-minivan normal opening rear doors (wife hates minivans), and relatively inexpensive. That seemed to limit us to crossovers like the Ford Freestyle and Chrysler Pacifica which are new and $20k+ even used, but yesterday I thought of the 95-98 Odysseys and found out they do have the third row seat - it even folds flat into the floor on those older models. It's smaller which my wife likes (easy to park, manuever, etc.), gets excellent gas mileage as opposed to late 90's SUVs with 3 rows of seats, has an excellent reliability rating, and it WAY cheaper than we expected to find something to meet those needs. We expected to eventually buy me a beater classic or NX or something until we could de-upside-down the Elantra loan in several years, but it worked out in re-discovering these vehicles.

So the Elantra will be primarily my car to go back and forth to work and the Odyssey primarily be her car and the car we take all together. One issue was that when my wife went out by herself, she would take the Elantra with the carseat and leave us stranded at home due to her being unwilling to drive my Maxima. Sorry guys - she has never liked driving any Nissan I've ever owned and refused to drive my Maxima because of that and "it smelled funny." Now she is willing to drive either car which is better - I can take off with kid when mommy isn't home now. I've decreased my overall amount of debt by $2,000 and in the process obtained the family vehicle we all wanted. Win-win if you ask me. :)

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
That didn't take long. I forsee that forum ban we talked about though. Minivan and sr20forum just don't mix. :)

·
Now accepting donations!!
3,394 Posts
VTEC POWAH!!!11

Needs window tint! That things a freakin greenhouse! Your kids are going to bake in there!

Ben's new home... http://www.odyclub.com/forums/

Who's coming to pick it up? You and Wendy? I'm off all day Friday, I was possibly going to be bringing the NX up there that day. Will there still be room w/ the shaggin wagon?

edit: I just noticed (due to my fantastic investigation skills) that the odyssey is about 1/2 mile from the nx! Crazy coincedence...

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
El Gabito said:
VTEC POWAH!!!11

Needs window tint! That things a freakin greenhouse! Your kids are going to bake in there!

Ben's new home... http://www.odyclub.com/forums/

Who's coming to pick it up? You and Wendy? I'm off all day Friday, I was possibly going to be bringing the NX up there that day. Will there still be room w/ the shaggin wagon?

edit: I just noticed (due to my fantastic investigation skills) that the odyssey is about 1/2 mile from the nx! Crazy coincedence...

Dude I know - it's like in the same neighborhood as the NX! So how are you picking it up? And yea, there'll be room in the wagon. :) Gotta get down there in the Elantra so we'll have a caravan going back.

·
3,394 Posts
I meant room for the NX actually! Wanted to make sure Wendy doesn't mind it taking up space temporarily. I have a guy I should be able to borrow a truck from. I'll find out tonight. Then I'm just going to rent a tow dolly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks exactly like mine when I bought it in 2002. It is definitely perfect for getting the family around and it becomes pretty useful for transporting other things too. Congratulations.

As already stated there is a lot of good information at odyclub.com.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
El Gabito said:
I meant room for the NX actually! Wanted to make sure Wendy doesn't mind it taking up space temporarily. I have a guy I should be able to borrow a truck from. I'll find out tonight. Then I'm just going to rent a tow dolly.
Oh in the garage - yea she doesn't care. Ben had his G20 in there for a month or so and it was no biggie. Just have to find a place for the old cabinets that sit there since my kitchen remodel. Would like to actually get them mounted on the walls in there like a planned, but that ain't gonna happen in the next two days. Maybe come up in preparation Friday and see what you can move around? Wendy will be home from about 10:30 for the rest of the day. Most are pretty manageable in size and weight so maybe you could take them to the attic? Well, the NX could sit outside for a day or two while we took the time to organize. Or hell, we could just quickly screw them into walls. I'm sure Ben, myself, and you could come up with a quick plan of where they should all go in there. Hit me up on AIM

·
No longer a member
6,093 Posts
how many kids do you have?

·
3,394 Posts
Shoot, I'd rock that van. I think that looks pretty good. I always thought that nice wheels and a subtle drop looks good on a van.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts