SR20 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me how to get at the fog light bulbs? Also what kind of bulb do they take? Thanks.

·
Registered
484 Posts
reomove the two screws on the sides of the lamps to take that plastci cover off. then there is some screws behind that, that are holding the assembly in. make sure you unscrew the screws holding in the assemblys and not the adjuster screws. the blubs (h3's i think) go into the back, and are held in by a clip

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
make sure you unscrew the screws holding in the assemblys and not the adjuster screws.
If you look very closely on the side of the fog light assembly, you'll see a small (10mm I think) bolt. Unscrew that one. The fog light should come right out.

the blubs (h3's i think) go into the back, and are held in by a clip
Correct. But you'll have to open up the fog light assembly once you've removed it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
yea, now i remember. sorry i left that out. if you have never changed the light bulbs, or havent done it in a while, be prepared for some stubbern screws holing the assembly together. im missing a couple. they are philips instead of a bolt head. they can/will strip! you might want to try letting them set in WD-40 or somthing for a while if your have a problem.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes, for the screw that holds the assembly to the bumper I recall I had to drill it and hammer the screwdriver. Surprisingly, I managed to drill the screws core in a way that I could reuse it.

BTW: the type of lightbulb is an H3-50w or H3-100w. I have 100w in right now and they are bright enough to make me feel guilty once in a while.

On another note, has anyone managed to wire the fog light relay such that you can turn on the fog lights when either the parking lights or the headlights are on instead of only when the head lights are on ?

·
Registered
484 Posts
i had an idea for this...although it could be a pretty monkey-ish way of doing it...

you can get another 3 pole switch from an auto parts store and put it into one of the little open plates on the dash somplace. just make the hot wire from the switch go to the down-stream side of the power for the foglights coming off the stock foglight switch. so, you can use the new switch to turn the lights on and off, but then when you go for inspection, you can turn that one off, and still use the factory switch.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
well, the screw that is holding in the foglight assembly on my car is rusted and now stripped!! :mad: What can i do to get it out of there so i dont have only one stupid fog light on and one off??? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was in the same situation with my right front fog light. This is what I did.

* Spray it with wd40 or a silicon spray.

* With a Drill and a drill bit about half the diameter of the screw, drill about 3/8 inch into the center of the head of the screw.

* set a solid phillips screw driver into the screw head and give it a few taps with a hammer.

* try to unscrew it.

* If you are still slipping, spray, drill another 1/8 inch then tap and screw again.

If you keep your drilling in the screw you won't damage the nut it screws into and you may be able to use the screw again if you do not have a replacement handy.

- good luck

·
Registered
812 Posts
socalnx said:

BTW: the type of lightbulb is an H3-50w or H3-100w. I have 100w in right now and they are bright enough to make me feel guilty once in a while.
any problems with the H3-100w? wondering if it would get too hot and ruin anything

·
Registered
408 Posts
No problems for me. Both 50w and 100w are on the parts list at the napa I picked them up at.

They are really bright though. When they are on, the headlights look like bathroom nightlites mounted above airplane landing lights. I think I may switch down to 50w when I feel like getting around to it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
lol.. aight thanks. im gonna put some on my nx when i get it back from the damn body shop... another week to go. :(
i'll see if they are too bright, i might like it cuz we get ugly weather up here and its hard to see sometimes.

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got mine done tonight. What a pain!!! Of the 4 bolts that hold the unit together I stripped the screw head on 2 of them. Also the electrical connector did not want to come out. I had to break parts of the plastic connector to get it out!! Oh well, it is working now. How have you guys done the aiming?

·
Registered
484 Posts
you can probably get in the ball park by parking your car with the lights on (in the dusk/dark) while pointing at a wall. if your close enough to the wall, the light from the lights should be narrowed down to where you can see if you adjust one of the lights, it will move up and down, etc. just keep toying with them, and get them somwhat level, and pointed down a little. unless you want to go to a shop and have them do it with a light aiming thingy...

·
Gettin' Old and Whipped
571 Posts
100W h3

I use the 100W h3's and they work great, but the passenger side one always burns out before the drivers side. I have put 3 in the pass. and only 1 in the dr. I don't know why, but they're not that expensive, so I just keep an extra in my glove box. The last one lasted almost a year. I had to bend the little tab on the 100w's with needle nose pliers so that they would fit into the housing, but thats no biggie.

Oh, yeah, one more thing... I love my NX.

·
Registered
812 Posts
100w H3's

i just put in some 100w H3's... and it was a biatch takin those damn fog lights apart... they didnt wanna unplug. puttin em back on wasnt so bad though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I dont know what is so hard... i got mine out effortlessly and replaced the bulbs with PIAA xtreme white plus bulbs 55w with the apperance of 110w at 4000k and they are awesome!

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Guys before you try to take those Phillips head bolrs out of the back I found that spraying them with WD40 then taking a lighter and heating the bolt up first makes it easier to get the bolt to come out

1 - 18 of 18 Posts