SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the ignition from this parts car I have. It doesn't look like it's meant to be unbolted though. I have the entire interior out, steering column exposed - steering wheel still on though. (That's another issue.) Any advice for removing the ignition assembly? I'm about to get out the hack saw.

·
Registered
655 Posts
BumP..

hey did you ever get the ignition off?? Mines all mangled after an incidient when the locking mechanism wouldnt come off. I was searching for interior removal tips and came accross this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
jmcn said:
I'm trying to remove the ignition from this parts car I have. It doesn't look like it's meant to be unbolted though. I have the entire interior out, steering column exposed - steering wheel still on though. (That's another issue.) Any advice for removing the ignition assembly? I'm about to get out the hack saw.
On my 91 it was held on with some badass rivets, they had to be drilled out. They are suppose to be permanent. good luck!
:mad:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those are bolts that are made so that when it's tightened to set amount of torque the head snaps off. You have to drill them out. I know because when my car was stolen they jacked the ignition switch. If you plan to replace it just drill through the side untill you go through the bolt, but don't drill into the steering column.

se-r_bri

·
Registered
450 Posts
HOly back from the dead Batman!!!

Well I got mine off with 3 cuts from a dremel. I didn't want to take the dash off so the dremel worked like a charm. (to get a drill in there and not mar your dash you should take it off) I cut the top yoke almost as wide as the stering column and then 1 extra cut throught the side to snap one of the bolts. You could do it in 2 cuts. I wasn't sure how to do it the first time. Just use a damp rag to catch the metal bits as you go. Then the replacement is a simple bolt up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts