SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the regular bosch plugs and had any problems? Or does anyone have any opinions? I heard someone say that they once had a problem with hesitation using the bosches and that they had to you back to the NGK's.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Lots of people use them and say they there isnt anything wrong with them. But from what I remember from testing with them is that they will end up dieing quicker than the NGK's and or loose a little power. I remember a dyno comparison somewhere about this. But there is a reason Clark, Jim, George, Mike, Rob everyone recomends the stock plugs and wires.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
Lots of people use them and say they there isnt anything wrong with them. But from what I remember from testing with them is that they will end up dieing quicker than the NGK's and or loose a little power. I remember a dyno comparison somewhere about this. But there is a reason Clark, Jim, George, Mike, Rob everyone recomends the stock plugs and wires.</font>
Somebody dynoed NGK's vs. Bosch platinums, and the Bosch's made 1 MORE hp over the NGK's. Go to the SE-R list archives ( http://www.se-r-list.org/archives/ ) type in ngk and bosch, and specify searching the 1999 archives.

It was only 1 hp, but that means the Bosch's definitely aren't any worse than the NGK's.

Oh and I don't know about the Bosch's lasting a less amount of time than the NGK's, but they're only about $2 a plug (compared to $6-$8 for an NGK).

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy

[This message has been edited by slowSER (edited 03-15-2001).]

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I never had any luck with these on my Eclipse so I gave up on them. After ~10,000 miles, my car progressivly drove worse and worse. Missing, stumbling, rough idle, etc. I noticed the electrodes were pitted, in essense, the spark was jumping out of a hole. Sparks don't like to jump out of holes. The prefer sharp points to propogate from (like, say, NGK double platinums). I replaced them with NGKs and problem solved. It's been ~20,000 miles on the NGKs and still running great.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
Registered
705 Posts
The stock plugs and wires are highly recommended for our car. Not because other stuff just sucks, but because ours are so good. Even the turbo guys will tell you to stay with stock. Perhaps this is why even Nologys wires ($180) only made 3hp on the sr20de.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
My NX won't run on the boschs (boschi?) I got a horrible misfire situation with them. I just stay with stock.

Blair
#76 ITS

·
Registered
353 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slowSER:
Somebody dynoed NGK's vs. Bosch platinums, and the Bosch's made 1 MORE hp over the NGK's.
</font>
Yes, yes.. This was a very hotly debated topic some time ago.

Chris Pinthong (who has never been afraid to disagree with prevailing wisdom) ran that test to prove his point that the Bosches were no worse.

He *removed* those plugs some time later and switched *back* to the stock NGK-R's in order to fix some drivability problems he was having.

Nissan's in general are very plug and wire sensitive. I firmly believe that you should run nothing but NGK-R's and factory plug wires, no matter what kind of horsepower you are putting out.

I've seen too many weird problems with any other combination.

Rob

[This message has been edited by ClassicSE-R (edited 03-20-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts