SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend told me the other day that if you use a -3AN oil feed line, then you don't need the oil restrictor with my T25. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Pressure?

97SE-R C2 said:
Smaller lines raise pressure, so yes you'll still need the restrictor.
I'm new to this turbo thing, so I'm not sure where in the turbo the increased oil pressure is causing a problem. But I would imagine it would blow by the seals if the pressure is too high??

With that out of the way, a smaller line will only raise the pressure on the side of the line that is being fed with oil (the fitting at the block?) The pressure in the oil galleys in the turbo (assuming they have a greater cross sectional area than the line) will consequently be lower. How do you think the restrictor works? It is basically a really small diameter oil line, high pressure in, low flow thru, into larger volume, equals lower pressure.

I can't tell you if a -3 line would be the same as a regular line with a restrictor. But if the regular line is larger than a -3, then the turbo would see less pressure with the -3 than with regular without a restrictor.

Did that help?? :)

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
97SE-R C2 said:
Smaller lines raise pressure, so yes you'll still need the restrictor.
It will increase the pressure..but the amount of oil flow to the turbo is less. I also read somewhere that you don't need a restrictor if you are running a -3AN line on a T3/T04E setup. Anyone care to chime in? I'm interested in this also because I'm currently upgrading my turbo setup to a Turbonetics T3/T04E .63 A/R.

Manny

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
A T3/T04E with a 370cc 4 bar setup :confused:
It'll max out at 300whp and you'd be better off with a Faster Spooling T28 for that goal. Unless your plan is low boost now and more later along with more fuel. Anyway, I've heard mixed feelings on a Restrictor with a -3 line. I thought it was decided that it was still a good idea.

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
97SE-R C2 said:
A T3/T04E with a 370cc 4 bar setup :confused:
I have been getting the same questions from everyone on this forum...
Im not planning on boosting more than 12 psi. The same setup I'm getting on my car is the same setup DannySE99 has on his car now. I believe he produced 287 WHP with this setup and still ran safe on he fuel management side. BTW..his car is tuned by Mr. Miko.

Manny

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
Thats still close to maxing the injectors. Why not just get 50lber's if you haven't bought parts yet. At 15psi Coach made over 300whp which is a cold night boost spike away from bad things for your car. Just my opinion. Not hating.

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
97SE-R C2 said:
Thats still close to maxing the injectors. Why not just get 50lber's if you haven't bought parts yet. At 15psi Coach made over 300whp which is a cold night boost spike away from bad things for your car. Just my opinion. Not hating.
I understand your point...
I already bought the parts. The thing is..I ordered my JWT ECU about a month ago from Miko. Last week I found out I was getting a hefty amount of money back from the gov't (income tax) :D and basically said.."Fuk it! I'm getting T3/T04E." So my plan is to run low boost for awhile and send back the ECU for reprogramming and go with 50lbs and Z32 MAF.

Manny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts