SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently hooked up a 50 shot dry system for my car. The guy that helped me install it, said I should retard the timing 2 degress from "STOCK". Since stock is around 13, and I recently bumped it up to 17, I retarded 6 degrees to 11. Is this really necessary? What are the risks for having your timing advanced more? One last thing, Does nitrous really eat up your engine??? I know the SR20 block is really strong compared to Hondas, so I'd figure 50 shot is nothing, if not too little.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Sportline Springs, PR CAI, HKS Exhaust

http://photos.yahoo.com/sr20ser

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've heard that you can run stock timing @15 deg under nitrous but can't confirm that for sure. But I hope someone here can clear it up. No fair man! I still have to put my NOS kit in. hehehe... still go out to Fresno track? I think we're going to set up something a little more organized down in Hanford like not this Friday but hoping for next Friday. Theres a really nice track out there. e-mail me if you're interested man.

Mel

·
Registered
858 Posts
stock timing is 15 degrees +/- 2 degrees so you can leave it on 15. check to see msd stuff . they have a timing control that you can advance or retard the timing from a knob inside the car so you could leave it at say 19 ten before squezzin' put it to 15or 14 sweet.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header, ACT HDS/S clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Your information is correct, but your method of figuring it up is kinda' screwy. Set your timing to where you like it (mine is at 19 degrees, great for autocrossing). When drag racing, or ANY time you use the nitrous, then yes, you must pull the timing back by 2 degrees. Usually, our engines like the timing at 15 or less for nitrous.
Setting yours at 11 degrees is WAY too much retard, and it will barely get out of its own way.
Redman007 is also right: Check out the MSD Digital 6 ignition box (I have one, too). It has an adjustable retard on it, in tenths of a degree, that automatically retards the timing whenever my nitrous solenoids are tripped. Effortless. No more changing the timing at the dragstrip. Highly recommended. About $299 at Summit/Jeg's/CarParts.com etc.
Also...check your plugs after each run with nitrous. They'll tell you if you have too much timing in, and are getting detonation. Brown specks on the white porcelain part of the plug means detonation, so back off the timing a degree or so.
Some detonation you cannot hear, so it's a good thing to check the plugs. Plus, nitrous 'cleans' the plugs, so you're getting a good read after every run.
Hope this helps.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably advance my timing to like 15 whenever I get the chance.

Mel: Sure, I'm interested! Just tell me when and where. What's your email? My email = [email protected]

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Sportline Springs, PR CAI, HKS Exhaust

http://photos.yahoo.com/sr20ser

[This message has been edited by SERacer (edited 07-26-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts