SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am running timing at 17 and want to know a easy way to retard the timing to 11 so I can use 75 shot N2O??

I have remote bottle opener and would like to be able to reset timing quick and in the drivers seat :confused:

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
I'm guessing you meant N2O, and not H2O. If that's the case, you have one of three routes to go:

1.) Convert your nitrous setup over to a JWT one, where the timing and all other functions are controlled by the ecu. Cost? About $1,000. Maybe more.

2.) Buy a MSD Digital 6 ignition control box. Tie in the built-in timing retard function to your nitrous solenoid(s) or arming switch, and the Digital 6 will retard the timing to whatever you tell it to, in .10s of a degree. You leave your timing where it's at, and the box does it for you. Cost? About $290.
http://www.msdignition.com is the place to start.

3.) Manually retard the timing yourself every time you want to use nitrous. That means having to get out the timing light, etc., and knowing WELL ahead of time that you're going to be on the bottle. Cost? Free. But, it's a pain in the ass, IMHO.

Last thought here: I don't think you'd need to retard the timing ALL the way back to 11 degrees for only a 75 shot. I run a 78hp shot, direct-port, and my timing is rarely under 14 degrees. Just a thought. Your car may well be different from mine ('93) and need more timing taken out for nitrous.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the ZEX unit and in the tunning guide timing is:

55 shot = 0 degree retard
65 shot = 2 degree retard
75 shot = 4 degree retard

On our cars that would be:

55 shot = 15
65 shot = 13
75 shot = 11

Right know I am at 17 degrees and 55 shot.

This is a real post, and I am looking for help.
I don't want to blow motor!!!

The MSD sounds good but the web site doesn't tell how it works, only that it has programable retard feature.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
The MSD sounds good but the web site doesn't tell how it works, only that it has programable retard feature.
It's an ignition amplifier, and it splices in between your coil and distributor. You tie your nitrous solenoid(s) in to the retard function, and any time they're activated, it retards the timing however much you want, in .10s of a degree.

Wait a minute, you have a '99, correct? No distributor. Ack! MSD Dig. 6 not applicable then. Sorry.

-GP-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts