SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Nissan > All
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guy's done it? In any car for that matter? In my young and stupid days I decided to paint my interiour. It turned out quite well compared to some, BUT ever since the doors (the vinyl part) never stopped being sticky. Its a pain in the ass trying to keep them clean!! I was thinking about getting them professionally reupholstered with white vinyl. What do you guys think?

**flame suit on**

·
Nissan > All
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bumpidy bump

·
Registered
496 Posts
It is not too hard for a good upholstery shop to cover interior plastic trim with vinyl, or with vinyl and some foam for a bit of give, but the spray paint you've got on there may make it difficult. Adhesive won't stick to that stuff, especially in the condition it sounds like it's in, and it will be work, time and a mess to strip and prime the surface. You might be better off getting some unaltered panels from a salvage yard or the classifieds.

David

·
Nissan > All
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I was thinking aswell, I took a look at the panels and the vinyl thats on there right now (the stock stuff) is actually glued onto a hard fiberglass-like substrate. I pondered the idea of being abel to rip the stock vinyl off and replace it with the new stuff. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Trying to peel off the factory vinyl will be a waste of your time. The glue they use is super strong and the vinyl will just come of in little pieces, if at all. I tried doing it before I fabricated my fiberglass door panels. You should either go to a paint and body shop and have them re-spray the doors or an upholstery shop as Pertuzian suggested.

·
Nissan > All
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great, thanks for the advice guys!

·
Nissan > All
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually bought some myself and was going to attemp to do it myself. BUT I didnt want to fu*k anything up and didnt know how to attach it to the door "correctly" without any reaction with the material and adhesive i have. So yeah thats the idea I have right now. I just need to find a reupholstering shop....I live in a SMALL town lol.
Pretty White, could you post or pm me some pics of your doors.
My interior looks like this right now. Im planning on reupholstering the vinyl on the doors and possibly changing the blue to....soemthing else...black? white? what do you think. I think the white looks nice and clean but I'm getting a little older (20 is so old you know lol) and want something a little less flashy...

·
Nissan > All
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks alot Stratton, It does look "good" as in not a shitty job with overspray and without primer, but like you said the blue...idk. I would look HORRIBLE if the car was any color but white aswell. Its been like this so long that I really have grown to like it but I want to tone it down a bit. What color would you change the blue to?

Oh and it was done in one restless weekend with about 20 cans of krylon. I think i was higher than a kite the whole time from the fumes. I wouldnt sneeze blue for a week afterward. I know it was dumb.

·
I Keep It Unique
2,423 Posts
sr20deman said:
What color would you change the blue to?
I would change it to the same grey as the doors or maybe black, but really I think its the white that is too loud maybe tone it down a bit with an off white color possibly?

·
wants 2 dry hump chriscar
4,507 Posts
my buddy has a ga b13. its painted red with metal flake and its pretty nice. the route he went was he painted the grey dash and door panels a flatish black with vynal paint. then he used some dull finish maroon vynal paint and vynal leatheret on the accents. he put the leather on the map pockets and had some mesh stiched in over the stock plastice speaker grill. he has tv's in the head rests, red neons and led's in the air vents. his trunk is the best part tho. 2 10inch kenwoods, 2 amps built flush into the walls of the trunk. and the entire trunk is jet black with small grey accents. he puertoreican and drives lowerd b13 painted red metal flake on 17's.......you would think the interior should be ricy (not a stab at the south americans) but the interior is so docile and clean i love it!

as for your blue...gah! i would paint the blue parts black and match them with the dash and carpet.

·
Nissan > All
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heres a quick photoshop of waht it would look like white.

What do you guys think?

·
Nissan > All
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And heres waht black would look like

Which do you like?

·
Nissan > All
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hot!!!... what you think between the white or black?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Why dont you paint over the white?

I think black will make it look cowlike and I think the white looks too bright and bland... I would just paint the white stuff black and re-do the doors... Something like PrettyWhite's car...

Cheers-
Erich

1 - 20 of 23 Posts