SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the '91-'94 Classics have a rev limiter on their stock ECU? If so, at what RPM does it kick in?

------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake System
STILLEN Performance Exhaust System
15x7 Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
195/50 ZR 15 Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires

[This message has been edited by Chris93SER (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've taken mine up that high too. I have heard people claim there is one that kicks in between 7600 and 7700 RPM. I am just curious to know if this is true.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DannySE99:
I don't think they had any type of rev limiters in the early 90's. I took my classic to 7600rpms.</font>

------------------

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
heh, i think they have rev-limiters because when i was autocrossing on street tires once, i went around a hairpin and dropped it into first and nailed the gas. of course, i got tire-smoking wheelspin but when i looked down i noticed that the tach was at 8,000rpm and it wasn't budging. if i was getting wheelspin like that, it should've kept going higher (the rpm's that is). thus, that ends my theory that the se-r has a rev-limiter at 8,000rpm.

also, i noticed a toyota corolla fx16 (80's to 90's car) banging it's rev-limiter at a recent autocross, so older cars do have them.

------------------

representing the plains with a slammed in door, but loud and fast, 1991 nissan sentra se-r, and now a sweet looking silver 1988 toyota celica gt-s with more show than go.

[This message has been edited by Monsoon (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Yep, Classics have a rev limiter. Mine hits it at *about* 7,700 rpm. I say *about* because I usually am looking at the autocross course when I bounce of the rev limiter, not looking long enough at the tach. When I began drag racing the SE-R (naturally aspirated then, no nitrous), I'd go through the lights (1/4 mile) in third gear, and just *barely* make it through the lights before hitting the limiter.
It is akin to hitting the brakes.
Once the nitrous went in, it was all fourth gear on the track.

------------------
Greg P., '93 SE-R w/
148,000 miles, JWT
pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS
50--shot (direct port
installed, yet to run), Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4
mile, [email protected] 1/8
mile, 2.05 60-ft.
http://www.geocities.com/herdinsider/serpage.html

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your responses, guys.

------------------

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
my weak b14 reads @7200 when I bounce off the limiter. It makes for a good shift when you bounce off it properly tho.

What I'm wondering is if all your tach's are totally in spec. I mean I'm not even sure mine is. It's stock, and I haven't put in an extra gauge myself.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
You guys, the stock tach is innaccurate.

91-94 Sentra SE-R and 91-93 Nx2000: 7500rpms

95-99 200sx SE-R and 98-99 Sentra SE: 7200rpms.

No more, no less. The JWT ECU does bump it up though to 7800rpms.

------------------
Jordan (Stormy)
Black 1998 Sentra SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys (NI), KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Actually, it's 7,100 for the B14. But, I agree with Jordan, your tachs are way off.

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nsracer:
Actually, it's 7,100 for the B14. But, I agree with Jordan, your tachs are way off.
</font>
Conflicting though. Some places say 7100, some say 7200. Can't rely on the cars themselves because the tachs could be off too sooooo.......

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
There is definitely a rev limiter. I've read the fuel cut comes in at 7700 for Classics. That's been my experience at autocrosses, too. JWT ECU raises it to near 8000.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
That's true Jordan. I've even read 7,000 somewhere.

It's definitely 7,500 for the classic. Your tach may say 7,700, but it's not that high. And the JWT only takes it to a max of 7,800...unless you specify higher. 8,000 is getting into valve float area. JWT wouldn't risk doing that to your motor.

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
so i'm assuming we buy the ecu upgrade after we modify the car. why? 7800 isn't gaining any power, it's just hurting your engine. frankly, i shift at 7,000 because i don't feel any power gain above it. i love hitting 4 grand though, puts you back in your seat.

------------------

representing the plains with a slammed in door, but loud and fast, 1991 nissan sentra se-r, and now a sweet looking silver 1988 toyota celica gt-s with more show than go.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Yep, my tach is off about 200rpms. Reads 8000 at 7800.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Monsoon:
why? 7800 isn't gaining any power, it's just hurting your engine. frankly, i shift at 7,000 because i don't feel any power gain above it. </font>

Thats because your SE-R was nearly stock. IIRC you only have an intake and exhaust.

Trust me, once you start getting into JWT cams, UR pulleys and even a Hotshot or AEBS header, you REALLY start to feel a huge pull towards 7000rpms and up. I mean hell, the JWT s4 cams make most of their peak HP past 7200rpms as it is! Then you can see why it is neccasary to have a higher rev limiter for optimum performance.

------------------
Stormy
Black '98 Sentra SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies....in need of a JWT ECU

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Registered
504 Posts
In my experience with hitting the rev limiter in both my cars, the fuel cut-off comes on first (feels like the engine just died) but if you keep your foot in it (while I was wincing...), it will start to bounce with a rap-rap sound...

My question is: I've heard other makes (BMWs mostly) bouncing off the limiter in autocrosses from outside the car, do they also hit the fuel cut-off first, feel the engine cut, and then start bouncing or do they just start bouncing right away? 'Cause it's almost a knee-jerk reaction for me to back off when the fuel cut hits... Do they just train themselves to push through it?

TIA!

Andy

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by maxQ:
do they also hit the fuel cut-off first, feel the engine cut, and then start bouncing or do they just start bouncing right away? 'Cause it's almost a knee-jerk reaction for me to back off when the fuel cut hits... Do they just train themselves to push through it?
</font>
Who knows. I'm sure it varies on a case by case basis.

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies....in need of a JWT ECU

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

G

·
on the rev limit stuff.. im sure it is 7500rpms. SOme how my tack has an honest 75000rpm because i figure i could take the tack up to at least 7700 but the fuel cut off hits ubruptly at 7500. lol. On a different note my friend has an integra thatwhen he wants attention he will rev it until it bangs off the limiter!!! Personally its a fact to me... it protects my engine and theres no need to abuse it or be afraid of it!

·
Registered
146 Posts
my '93 revs to 7500 maybe a little higher and then the fuel cuts...i thought the jwt ecu lets the sr20 rev till 8200rpms!

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Jay Hass and I were talking the other day about optimum shift points with the stock cams. He said to wind out first almost to the rev limiter(near 7800rpms with wolf ECU) then to shift at about 7200 rpms in second third and four. The stock cams just don't make any more power up top. I notice the car moves better when shifting the way i mentioned above. With the wolf cams or JUN cams its a different story and you should probably shift close to the rev limiter in all gears.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU

1 - 20 of 27 Posts