SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There goes my MT-90 Trany oil. :(

These two switches are leaking and I need to fix the leak.
-1-Do I need new switches?
-2-Can I just put teflon tape on the thread of the switches?
-3- Any advice on tools and tips to get this done?
Its a 94 tranny.

:confused: :confused: :(

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
SmoothDaddyFig said:
There goes my MT-90 Trany oil. :(

These two switches are leaking and I need to fix the leak.
-1-Do I need new switches?
-2-Can I just put teflon tape on the thread of the switches?
-3- Any advice on tools and tips to get this done?
Its a 94 tranny.

:confused: :confused: :(
1. Eventually, yes.
2. Only a temporary solution.
3. Go here. http://www.sr20de.net/zotz/se-r_tran_switches.htm

The tranny switches aren't that expensive, and they aren't too hard to replace. Hope that helps.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rollcage,

That is exactly what I needed , man! PERFECT!!!!
I hope it goes "Smooth"ly!!! I'll have to wait till Thursday to do this. YIKES. Thats 5 days. I hope sh*t dont blow up. :cool:
Thanks again!!!

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
When I had my NX2000. They leaked for quite some time before I replaced them. If yours are leaking like mine did, it was a very slow leak. Not too bad if you nip it in the butt soon. The switch near the front is a little harder to do just because of the path of the wire, but it's all good.

Enjoy! Oh, and the switches were cheap as hell. I think less then $20 for both. But I could be absolutely wrong too! Hehehe! Been about 2 years since I did them.

·
fabricator
841 Posts
sealing the threads won't help, they actually leak through the switch. If you're really ghetto and don't want to spend any money (like me) Here's a hooptie fix:

remove the switches, clean them up really good, hose down with carb cleaner to get all fluid off. Make sure you peel back the little rubber boots and clean the terminals/wires with the carb cleaner. after they dry, smear RTV silicone all over the back of the switch, fill the inside of the boots. Then slide the boots back down over the wire terminals. The **** will ooze out ; just smear it everywhere (not on the threads) and let them dry overnight. Reinstall the next day., This is a semi-temporary fix, but works well when you're doing an axle in the middle of the night and can't go to the parts store. I don't know exactly how long they'll hold like this, but if you're into the hooptie thing... Oh yeah. the switches are 19mm for reference.

andris

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yeah!!!
You guys are great!! I feel like doing this right now!!!
Thanks for the help!!!!
Im ordering the switches tomorrow. I hate leaks!!!!!!!

I'll keep that ghetto tactic in my brain Rolodex though, for future purposes!! thanks

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
M2.0DE said:
Hey Smooth I just got both my switches the other day mine are leaking to.

With my SE-R discount they were 14.71 and 9.82 from Courtesy.
They are going in with the six puck.

Later,
Mark
damn, they are cheap!!! COOLNESS prevails!!!!
Thanks!! Hey, was there ever a SCC reverse switch/neutral switch shootout? I might need you to scan those results.:D :cool:
;) Let me know how the install goes!!!!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
What exactly is this "se-r discount" that everyone talks about at courtesy? Last time I ordered, I asked for the se-r discount, and it was supposedly given, but when I looked at my invoice, I noticed that I got the same prices that are listed on the website. Is this a real discount, or do you just get the same prices everyone gets on the site? The order took forever too, didn't ship until 2 days after I ordered. I don't know whether to bother with them anymore.

Ralating to the subject, I have new tranny switches sitting in my toolbox and have been putting off the job for going on 17 months now :).

Josh

·
Registered
160 Posts
MEclassic said:
What exactly is this "se-r discount" that everyone talks about at courtesy? Last time I ordered, I asked for the se-r discount, and it was supposedly given, but when I looked at my invoice, I noticed that I got the same prices that are listed on the website. Is this a real discount, or do you just get the same prices everyone gets on the site? The order took forever too, didn't ship until 2 days after I ordered. I don't know whether to bother with them anymore.

Ralating to the subject, I have new tranny switches sitting in my toolbox and have been putting off the job for going on 17 months now :).

Josh
[/QUOTE

Ask for Brian and say you are on the forum, List.
I think it is 15% or10% off you figure out the math.:D
List on both switches were 19.61 and 13.09 i got them for 14.71 and 9.82.

Later,
Mark

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MEclassic said:

Relating to the subject, I have new tranny switches sitting in my toolbox and have been putting off the job for going on 17 months now :).
Josh
:D

LOL, I hope I dont catch that bug.

If you order alot of stuff, its a great discount. If not then it works out even with shipping.

·
too many toys
386 Posts
One more tip for changing these things: When I did mine, I nearly screwed the job up by rounding off the edges on both the switches with the wrong tools (very easy to do).

Make sure the socket you use is a 6 point deep socket (can't remember the size). Mine were pretty firmly attached to the transmission.

Aaron

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think it is 15% or10% off you figure out the math.
I know I got money off the list price, but everyone talks about this discount as if it were some special thing for se-r owners or list members. On the website the prices I got are listed as their regular prices. I didn't get any extra money off for mentioning that I was on the list or forum or whatever, it seems to me I would have paid the same even if I never mentioned the discount. Do I have to ask for Brian? I got Butch last time, whoever that is...

Just as a point of reference, what do you all pay for an oil filter? I paid $4.97, just like it says on their website for a classic filter.

Josh

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So do I snip the wires to fit the socket over the switches?
Or is there a a special tool like the 02 sensor socket?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts