SR20 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, has anyone ever repaired a ribbon cable? This is a cable that goes to the face of my car's head unit. The ribbon cable is at a flex-point. The first three bars of the cable have broken through. This is a shot from the front. You can't see the break but it's right behind the little black bar on the left.
This is a great kenwood head unit and I hate to retire it. Any ideas / feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay so this has been fixed. I'll let you all know how it was done should you care or ever need this type of repair done.
I basically took the ribbon cable and laid a piece of packing tape across the bottom. Then I took a utility knife and scraped the top surfaces to be repaired. I then took a conductor pen from radio shack and laid a new surface across the copper lines. I then cleaned up the "over flow" and proceeded to pull some slack from the ribbon cable. The repaired area was covered with tape and folded under the black surface you see above. Now I have a WONDERFUL working kenwood mp3 player back in my car for hopefully another 4 years of faithful service. I love the kenwood head units. They take a hell of a beating! PEace out all! :biggthump

1 - 2 of 2 Posts