1.5inch drop 17in rims
2inch drop 16in rims
1.5 inch drop 16in rims
3 inch drop 16in rims

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you really like it that small of drop? Or is it not possible to drop it 1.5 with 16in? But many people here have 17's what kind of drop do they have?:confused:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have 17s with eibach pro kits (1.3" drop) and there is still a significant amount of wheel gap if that is what your interested in. It looks coo though but I bought intrax (1.7" drop supposedly) to see how it looks. Waitin for my KYBs first and then I'll install them and afterwards, it should be only a half an inch gap. I'll post pics when I was my car. But if you go to 17s, be prepared for a significant loss of power and fuel mileage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yo CBall what size tires do you have on your 17s? 205/40/17?
And why should I be perpared for a loss in power? What does that have to do with the power? The wieght? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Its the moment of inertia of the wheel. Since more weight is displaced further from the center of the rim, it is more difficult to turn. Therefore, the loss in acceleration. It shouldn't be that bad if you have an se-r but since I have the 1600, it would be better without. However, it looks much better with 17s in my opinion (certainly not shared by others :)). Look for more on the topic on www.sentra.net or www.se-r.net.

·
Registered
72 Posts
when i had 17's on my nx i had a 3 1/2" drop in front and 3" in back, looked sweet, a little bouncy but oh well, i have pics if you want em. no rubbing btw.

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
MadNX said:
2inch drop 17in rims
1.5inch drop 17in rims
2inch drop 16in rims
1.5 inch drop 16in rims
3 inch drop 16in rims
My choice was 1.25 inch drop (prokits), AGX adjustables and 15" rims with 195/50 high end tires. Lovin it,

(I should specify i'm in a 91 Sentra SER. Did min drop to keep suspension travel.)

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
ive got a 2 inch drop in the front, 1.5 in the back, with 17 inch wheels! no rubbing, great handling, looks good too! although i dont take my car to the track.....if its a track car i'd say 16 inch max lowered for drag 1.5 inch max.

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
i actually bought them from a guy on this forum. i dont know how he got them, maybe he did use ones from a sentra but they work great man. ask around, im sur you can find out if they work or not. i forget the guys name who i bought them from, if it comes to me ill let you know.

·
Registered
145 Posts
fast92nx said:
when i had 17's on my nx i had a 3 1/2" drop in front and 3" in back, looked sweet, a little bouncy but oh well, i have pics if you want em. no rubbing btw.

Are you kidding me???

I would imagine that was a little bouncy, being that you had absolutely no suspension travel left.

Don't go more than one inch lower on stock-length struts...unless you don't care at all about how your car handles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
the ride really wasnt too bad, it was bouncy but not really bouncy, it handled very well around turns, the worst thing were speed bumps and driveway slants, looked so sweet tho!

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
exactly! the lower the better, essentially, for handling. i would think that anything belew 2 inches would get rediculously low, but hey whatever floats your boat. lower = rougher on the bumps and better around the turns....but you gotta pay to play... :p make sure to get a good strut tho...(agx!!!, the best !)

"dont't go less than an inch unless you dont care how your car handles?"

-whats that all about? i think what you meant to say there was...GO less than an inch if you care about the way your car handles, and don't go less than an inch if you care about how rough the ride is. thats just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
92nx2k said:
exactly! the lower the better, essentially, for handling. i would think that anything belew 2 inches would get rediculously low, but hey whatever floats your boat. lower = rougher on the bumps and better around the turns....but you gotta pay to play... :p make sure to get a good strut tho...(agx!!!, the best !)
Uh... I hope you were kidding. Lower *does not* necessarily = better, especially when suspension travel is lacking, which it is on our cars. Sure, a lower center of gravity helps cornering, but if you're hitting the bumpstops all the time... can you say BUMP STEER? In other words, the car will handle like ****. You'd want to maintain at *least* 1.5" of compression travel before bumpstop. So, for stock-length struts, I wouldn't lower the car no more than 1-1.25" from stock, and that's also with trimming the bumpstops to gain back some travel.

Now, from an aesthetic standpoint, if you want to go low, by all means go for it... But ask yourself these: Is the bumpy ride really worth the aesthetic appeal of lowering a car? Is replacing the struts more often because my car being too low causes premature wear worth it?

--Andrew Phan

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
yes, yes,and yes again. its all worth it to lower the car. granted, i dont have mine lowered 3 inches. it is 2. and i dont have as much bumpsteer as your talking about, all my wheels tend to stay planted at all times. lower center of gravity is what i was referring to for better cornering, so lower does = better as long as it is not too low, and i dont think 2 inches is too low. 3 probably is.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
92nx2k said:
yes, yes,and yes again. its all worth it to lower the car. granted, i dont have mine lowered 3 inches. it is 2. and i dont have as much bumpsteer as your talking about, all my wheels tend to stay planted at all times. lower center of gravity is what i was referring to for better cornering, so lower does = better as long as it is not too low, and i dont think 2 inches is too low. 3 probably is.
Okay... Let's pause for a minute before you or especially I inadvertantly start a flame war. I can see both you and I are making comments from different standpoints. My comments are based on my autox/track experience; about a year's worth (20+ autox events, and about 7 track days). Your comments are based on daily street driving (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I'm perceiving it).

From a street driving standpoint, I guess it would be alright (lowering the car about ~2") especially since you would be driving the car at nowhere near the suspension's limits as if you were to autox the car or participate in a hotlapping track day. You car maybe cornering well taking those right and left turns on city streets, or highway on/offramps. But I guarantee you, take your car to an autox event, or a track day, and by the end of the day, you'll know what bumpsteer is... And it sucks! You would be pushing the car well beyond what you could possibly do on the street (safely, that is).

Bottom line: Lower *does not* equal better when suspension travel is part of the equation.

http://www.se-r.net/car_info/suspension_tuning.html <~~~A good read if you want to learn more about suspension dynamics and stuff. There are more detailed books out there, but that wouldn't be a bad place to start.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
hey man i never said you were wrong. if you remember, in my first post about this topic, i mentioned that for the track id reccomend no more than 1.5 inch drop for the track. i have never auto-x'ed before so i know you know more than me about track situations but im just saying on the street its a matter of preference, and ive driven my nx and my friend's nx before, mine is 2 inch drop, his is 1, and mine handles better and we have the same struts. its just a matter of personal preference. but for auto-x, i agree it shouldnt be dropped that low.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts