SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hotshot Headers have an annoying resonance "ringing" that sound like it's coming from the collectors. It starts a 2500 RPM and I stop noticing it at 4000 RPM or so, probably because my HKS exhaust noise drowns it out. Has any body else noticed this?

I talked to John at Hotshot and he said sometime during production he changed from 16 gauge pipe to 14 gauge but changed back again when he did not notice a performance increase, only increased cost. So that is one possible explanation.

Mike Kojima in his performance tips write-up on ser-net mentions something about this resonance as well. But he notes in the article that he thought the problem had been corrected. Again, possibly the pipe size issue mentioned above is somehow related.

My headers are two months old. This "ringing" is driving me nuts! As it is most noticeable in the daily driving RPM range. It's enough to make me want to sell them and get AEBS headers, To any future buyers of Hotshot Headers, Caveat Emptor!"

------------------
93 SE-R JWT S3 Cams, JWT ECU, JWT Pop-Charger, HS Header,RT Cat, HKS exhaust, Hypercoils, KYB-AGX, ST Sways, N-Tech Brace, Stillen STB, SMC SS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
i've answered a question like this b4, 'cept the sound was different. anyhoo, i had a sound eminating (sp?) at the same rpms. sounded almost like i was driving a quiet harley or a diesel engine. but since my cat-back was put on, i honestly don't hear it anymore. but being real nervous about a possible damanged header, i went back and checked all the connections and re-torqued the bolts/nuts. i still hear a small *chirp* but not AS bad. unfortunately i'm not up on my latin so...habeus corpus!


------------------
stiletto

99 Sentra SEL platinum gold w/ HS headers and CAI, custom b-pipe, arospeed exhaust, magnecor 8.5mm wires, eibach pro-kit, courtesy nissan frt and rear STB, smc short shifter, greddy knob, jwt clutch, k&n crankcase breather, 17 deg. timing, EL indiglo HVAC, clear corners and taillights and not a single stock bulb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
I too talked to John about a similar problem. It sounds like my noise is coming from the flex-pipe area. As a result, I have a new down-pipe sitting on my desk, waiting to be put on. If that doesn't fix it, I want my money back from Hotshot. I'm incredibly unhappy to say the least. For $503.00 Hotshot's product should be much better built, IMO. I had a defective manifold at first too, so this isn't my first problem with the Hotshot product. I do want to say that John has been incredibly helpful in trying to correct the problem though. This is not a knock on him personally, by any means. I'm just upset about the product itself. I regret not going with the STILLEN 4-1.


<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andrew:
My Hotshot Headers have an annoying resonance "ringing" that sound like it's coming from the collectors. It starts a 2500 RPM and I stop noticing it at 4000 RPM or so, probably because my HKS exhaust noise drowns it out. Has any body else noticed this?

I talked to John at Hotshot and he said sometime during production he changed from 16 gauge pipe to 14 gauge but changed back again when he did not notice a performance increase, only increased cost. So that is one possible explanation.

Mike Kojima in his performance tips write-up on ser-net mentions something about this resonance as well. But he notes in the article that he thought the problem had been corrected. Again, possibly the pipe size issue mentioned above is somehow related.

My headers are two months old. This "ringing" is driving me nuts! As it is most noticeable in the daily driving RPM range. It's enough to make me want to sell them and get AEBS headers, To any future buyers of Hotshot Headers, Caveat Emptor!"

</font>

------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)

Current Modifications:
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
STILLEN Performance Exhaust
Hotshot Racing Header
Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires
Nis-Knacks Clear Side Markers

Future Modifications:
Jim Wolf Technology ECU

[This message has been edited by Chris93SER (edited 09-27-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OTE]Originally posted by Chris93SER:
I too talked to John about a similar problem. It sounds like my noise is coming from the flex-pipe area. As a result, I have a new down-pipe sitting on my desk, waiting to be put on. If that doesn't fix it, I want my money back from Hotshot. I'm incredibly unhappy to say the least. For $503.00 Hotshot's product should be much better built, IMO. I had a defective manifold at first too, so this isn't my first problem with the Hotshot product. I do want to say that John has been incredibly helpful in trying to correct the problem though. This is not a knock on him personally, by any means. I'm just upset about the product itself. I regret not going with the STILLEN 4-1.


[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. When did you speak to John? When I spoke to him this past Tuesday (9/25/01) he acted like he had "never heard of this problem before"
. To which I responded that I have read many remarks about Hot Shot Headers "ringing Hotshot Headers" on se-r.net.

I also had to send back my first collector because of very shoddy workmanship (slag all over the #1 and 2 primaries. It took Hotshot almost a month and a lot of unanswered and unreturned phone calls to get it exchanged after I had already paid to send mine back to Hotshot.
I kept the secondary, which I assume is a earlier generation than the primary he sent me. Because the primary says "Hot Shot" or "H.S"on it, i can't remember exactly which. I have been told means it's the newest generation. The defective one did not.

Chris is yours the 14 gauge down pipe? How is it different from what you had before? Please, let me know how it works out for you. Do you have the Suspension Techniques front Anti-Sway Bar? I've heard that some version(s) of the Hotshot secondary (down pipe) will rub against it causing a different rattle. Mine does not. But I would hate to trade one problem for another.

P.S. Caveat Emptor = buyer beware


**Edited for grammar
------------------
93 SE-R JWT S3 Cams, JWT ECU, JWT Pop-Charger, HS Header,RT Cat, HKS exhaust, Hypercoils, KYB-AGX, ST Sways, N-Tech Brace, Stillen STB, SMC SS.

[This message has been edited by Andrew (edited 09-27-2001).]
 

·
fabricator
Joined
·
841 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andrew:
My Hotshot Headers have an annoying resonance "ringing" that sound like it's coming from the collectors. It starts a 2500 RPM and I stop noticing it at 4000 RPM or so, probably because my HKS exhaust noise drowns it out. Has any body else noticed this?

I talked to John at Hotshot and he said sometime during production he changed from 16 gauge pipe to 14 gauge but changed back again when he did not notice a performance increase, only increased cost. So that is one possible explanation.
</font>
Ok, first off, it is difficult to pinpoint exactly what causes a given resonance. The word "resonance" refers to a sound/pressure wave that oscillates within a system at a frequency close to the undamped natural frequency of that system. that is what causes the noise. The 'system' in this case is everything in your exhaust stream from the ports to the tip of your exhaust. I'm guessing you had the exhaust, put the header on, and the noise showed up, right? It could just be that the header combined with that exhaust creates a volume that produces louder resonance than normal. (think pipe organ) Being that there are a very few known instances of this happening, I think that some people, for some reason, end up with an exhaust volume that amplifies the natural resonance of a Hotshot header.

Note Stiletto's experience.

Your statement about talking to John and tubing size is COMPLETELY 100% untrue. John did not tell you any of that. It really bugs me when people disseminate information that sounds correct but is not. It lessens your credibility in a public forum and people who don't know any better believe it. The tubing used in Hotshot Headers is 14 gauge. It has never changed back to thinner wall. Also, the wall thickness change had nothing to do with performance, it was to make the header more durable because the 16 gauge headers were developing stress cracks from the repeated heating/cooling a header sees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!!! My car does this too. It sounds like crickets are stuck in my engine bay...almost like a whistle and when the rpms get up, I don't hear it anymore(obviously intake/exhaust drowning out)...

now I bought the car with headers on it so I don't know what kind they are(no markings that I can see). They look of good quality though and now hearing this I am almost sure they are HS...

I will have to admit. IT IS ONE OF THE MOST ANNOYING SOUNDS EVER!

I thougt maybe my headers were cracked but now that this topic came up it sounds almost like my problem.


So is this normal? no problems except the damn noise?

[This message has been edited by Sheabird (edited 09-27-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andris:
Ok, first off, it is difficult to pinpoint exactly what causes a given resonance. The word "resonance" refers to a sound/pressure wave that oscillates within a system at a frequency close to the undamped natural frequency of that system. that is what causes the noise. The 'system' in this case is everything in your exhaust stream from the ports to the tip of your exhaust. I'm guessing you had the exhaust, put the header on, and the noise showed up, right? It could just be that the header combined with that exhaust creates a volume that produces louder resonance than normal. (think pipe organ) Being that there are a very few known instances of this happening, I think that some people, for some reason, end up with an exhaust volume that amplifies the natural resonance of a Hotshot header.

Note Stiletto's experience.

Your statement about me speaking to John and tubing size changes is COMPLETELY 100% untrue. John did not tell you any of that. It really bugs me when people disseminate information that sounds correct but is not. It lessens your credibility in a public forum and people who don't know any better believe it. The tubing used in Hotshot Headers is 14 gauge. It has never changed back to thinner wall. Also, the wall thickness change had nothing to do with performance, it was to make the header more durable because the 16 gauge headers were developing stress cracks from the repeated heating/cooling a header sees.
</font>
Andris,

I think your comments about the changes in tubing gauge were meant to be directed to me since I wrote it. I stand by what I wrote since John from Hotshot told me first hand "he changed back from 14g to 16g because there was no performance increase to justify the additional cost for the larger gauge tubing". John said he too felt the change would not effect durability. But he did acknowledge it could have some effect on this "ringing" phenomena. Which is the issue here. This is first hand knowledge from the source and a damned credible source at that.


****Re-read this paragraph. You completely contradict yourself. First you say he never changed but then go on to say "the wall thickness change had nothing to do with performance, it was to make the header more durable..." The bottom line this "resonance" for a lack of a better term (I prefer ringing) has been noted by many people including among others Mike Kojima. It is the header that is creating this ringing particularly the collectors or down-pipe. It's is only less noticeable when the exhaust gets louder , somewhere past 4000 RPM. End of story.


Were you listing to my private comversation with John that I was not aware of? So unless your calling John or me a liar I suggest you back up your statements with some FACTS and less accusations! Do you work for Hotshot?

Don't try with me over credibility issues unless you know what you are talking about. When it comes to my character I have a very short fuse and it is always lit. The thin shield of anonymity the Internet provides should not protect you from saying something I doubt you would say to me in person.



------------------
93 SE-R JWT S3 Cams, JWT ECU, JWT Pop-Charger, HS Header,RT Cat, HKS exhaust, Hypercoils, KYB-AGX, ST Sways, N-Tech Brace, Stillen STB, SMC SS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
I posted something like this a few weeks back. It is driving the hell out of me. I've jacked up my car several times double checking everything. I did notice that there is a little piece of metal sticking out near the flexpipe (towards the middle of the car). I don't know if it is rubbing against it or not but I hope someone finds out soon! I just can't stand it anymore! The HS ringing sound along w/ constant overheating, ARGH!

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Eibach Sportline Springs, Place Racing CAI, HKS Super Drager Exhaust, Hotshot G4 Header
http://photos.yahoo.com/sr20ser
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
I have the ringing too, but it almost sounds as if its towards the rear of the car, in the muffler. I thought about changing intakes, then mufflers because I supposedly purchased the most recent generation of HS's. It is VERY annoying, kinda like there are about 100 people with blow darts shooting dried grains of rice at the pipes really really fast. UGH. Oh well, she still screams.

------------------
95 200SX SE-R--> Hot Shot CAI, Custom Apexi Cat Back, ST Shifter & G4 Hotshot Headers, Viteks and Iridium, B&G springs, 17" Konig Tantrums wrapped in Nitto's, a bunch of stiffening and look good crap, 91 Cams, JWT CPU COMING SOON!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Andrew, do you have AOL/AIM? If so, IM me at the screen name Chris93SER. I'll be happy to discuss everything with you.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andrew:
Chris is yours the 14 gauge down pipe? How is it different from what you had before? Please, let me know how it works out for you. Do you have the Suspension Techniques front Anti-Sway Bar? I've heard that some version(s) of the Hotshot secondary (down pipe) will rub against it causing a different rattle. Mine does not. But I would hate to trade one problem for another.

P.S. Caveat Emptor = buyer beware


**Edited for grammar
</font>

------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)

Current Modifications:
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
STILLEN Performance Exhaust
Hotshot Racing Header
Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires
Nis-Knacks Clear Side Markers

Future Modifications:
Jim Wolf Technology ECU
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
is there anything we can do about this? I am just relieved to know I am not the only one with HS headers to hear this ANNOYING noise!
 

·
newbie
Joined
·
8,148 Posts
Well I have the Stillen 2G header with the 2G downpipe. (the one with the dent in it.) For those who know there are different stages of Stillen headers.
1st gen with flexpipe that hits the swaybar and leaks. Then they voulentarly swapped downpipes (2G downpipe) to ones with stronger flexpipes and dents in it to clear the swaybar. Then they switched to a different 4-2-1 primary(2G) and downpipes(3G downpipe). I have the second 4-2-1 with the second Gen downpipe (I never swapped to the downpipe that came with the newer header)
Now they have a 4-1 (3G) header. Thats the history, now my point.
The 2G header makes the same noise. I think it is the flexpipe. If you were to do research and see where Stillen got their flexpipes and Hotshot gets them from now you would probally see it is the same place. I personally don't have the gingling-whistle. When my friend put his 2G header on I heard it and said ..."no way, I am keeping the old flexpipe on and sending the new one back.."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty White,

I think you are correct! After very careful listening I too think it's the flex-pipe material that's ringing.

Do you know if Hotshot makes Stillen's Header? So are you saying the newest flexpipe that Stillen sells is the one that rings?
 

·
newbie
Joined
·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andrew:
Pretty White,

I think you are correct! After very careful listening I too think it's the flex-pipe material that's ringing.

Do you know if Hotshot makes Stillen's Header? So are you saying the newest flexpipe that Stillen sells is the one that rings?
</font>
No, I would think since they are both in California they probally got the flexpipes from the same vendor. There aren't many manufactures who make those things. I doubt Hotshot would make Stillen headers. (I seriously think someone from AEBS or somewhere designed them, I forgot the guys name though). But then again JWT makes Stillen ECU's.
 

·
Veritas
Joined
·
6,205 Posts
Have gas, will pour......

My Pacesetter header (yes, the one that everybody loves to dis...) makes the exact same kind of sounds as described above. Seeing as how it was an obvious ripoff of the Hotshot, then I think it's fair game to bring this up in this topic.

However...my ringing sound is only noticable on deceleration, in the 1,500 - 2,500 rpm range. Pushing in the clutch to drop the revs makes it go away.

It is loud. Very noticable.

Just had to chime in (pun intended) on this one, guys.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, a proud customer of Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc., [email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Nick!

I'll check it out this week and post what I find .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nick:
ok you can see here that its a pore match and there is slag and some white stuff that kinda looks like solarflux but not sure... but when the gasses pass over that it will make noise. just like blowing over the top of a beer bottle.

</font>
Any way to fix it other than replacing the downpipe?



------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Eibach Sportline Springs, Place Racing CAI, HKS Super Drager Exhaust, Hotshot G4 Header
http://photos.yahoo.com/sr20ser
 

·
Stuck on an island
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
have any of you guys taken the flex pipe off and had a look down it ? as im writing this a have a SS flex pipe in my lap, now its not one ment for cars but all in all its the same thing.

As i look down mine and i see were the corrugated metal starts inside i can see an obvious gap between the pipe and the flexible part. this would definitely cause a whistle, ring, or some sort noise, and this is probably your problem.

now they probably have cheeped out on this part since they are expensive. the one i have worth about $300 or more.

ill try to take some pix with the digi cam to show you what im saying
 

·
Stuck on an island
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
ok you can see here that its a pore match and there is slag and some white stuff that kinda looks like solarflux but not sure... but when the gasses pass over that it will make noise. just like blowing over the top of a beer bottle.

 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top