SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
My Car is My Mistress
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my outer cv boot replaced about 20,000 miles ago and it is ripped again. Did not hit anything, probably ripped from driving hard?? :confused: What I was wondering is there any type of high performance cv boot that is stronger than the stock one.

·
8,148 Posts
Actually I think there is a Neophrome (sp?) boot that is supposed to last a little longer. Call the Driveshaft shop out on the island. They have some nice stuff there.

G

·
same boat as you mike---I was doing a brake job on my car when I first got it at 107k. I noticed both boots ripped and replaced them with parts america boots. I am now at 120k and the drivers side is ripped again? Does hard driving have anything to do with premature wear of these? It would seem that it does not. I thought the only way these would tear is if you hit something, or just flexing/cracking/fatigue wear--but that is not 15k miles worth. Pretty White---do you have a name of the company on LI? I have friends on LI and asked them if they knew of an axle shop and nobody knew. It is a messy job--don't want to do it regularly. If I can't find a stronger aftermarket boot--I'll try oem and see how that does.

thanks

mark

G

·
great! thanks pretty white.

I will give them a call monday morning and see what they have and prices---and update this thread with the info.

·
Registered
174 Posts
massclassic,

I'm confused. Are you using the OEM CV boot? If so they are about the finest made. I would look for a diiferent problem that is causing it to fail. Is it the same boot?

G

·
andrew---no---these are not oem. I went to parts america and got generic ones---and I think I am paying the price now. I can't think of anything a driver could do to shorten the life of them--any ideas?

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Well fellah's I'm in the same boat. Just had mine replaced and I looked at my wheels tonight and they're all nasty. Looks like I might have to check into some stronger one's.

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
ME 2

I am in that boat with all you guys. For some reason the one that always rips is the one on the passanger side. I hate that MONFRO! Grease behind my rim is not a cool thing. :(

·
My Car is My Mistress
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Called The Driveshaft Shop, and for stock replacement drive axles are $75 and about $15-$22 for just the boot kit. Prices are per side. It is made of a combination of some type of plastic and rubber. Did not get the prices on the race drive axles.

Later and thanks,
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts