SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind (crossdrilled/slotted/blank) rotors do you run?
What brand?
What size?
How much?
Where do you get them?

We're building a LeMons car, and can't afford crazy 14" eight pot BBK's, but we're not skimping on the brakes either. Front upgrade to NX rotors, race pads F & R, and really good brake ducting.

One teammate and I are at odds about what kind of rotors to get. I feel a good quality blank is the best option, while he feels that blank = poor quality, and to get a good rotor (metal, heat treat, etc.) we need to get something with c/d or slots. I ran high quality German blanks (can't recall the name for the life of me) for years on my e30 with no problems. I'm just getting into the SE-R world; educate me on what the common thoughts are on rotors...

Thanks

·
The anti-Probe.
514 Posts
The NX stock rotors and NX brakes seem to be the cheapest and easiest option. I know 4 guys that beat the crap out of that setup weekend after weekend and have great success.

I use the fastbrakes setup and like it as well but the NX rotors are definitely the best option when it comes to price, availibility, and longevity.

You'll probably have to change pads for the Lemons race but that's about it. The rotors should be fine.

·
Shift_Dream
1,200 Posts
I got some drilled and slotted rotors on my nx setup w/ steele lines and autozone lifetime warranty pads lol. Im debating on trying axxis, hawk or endless pads next for the front.
Rotors are from
-"88 rotors"
-located in south el monte, ca
-under $100 a pair.
I beat on them daily and Ive had one track day with one set of wasted autozone pads, lmao, and rotors held up.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Stock on the G20. We use the cheapest rotors we can find made out of genuine CPM (Chinese Pot Metal). When they crack/warp (and every single one will, regardless of manufacturer), we throw them away (or use them for target practice) and throw another set on.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
?

We're building a LeMons car, and can't afford crazy 14" eight pot BBK's, but we're not skimping on the brakes either. Front upgrade to NX rotors, race pads F & R, and really good brake ducting.
For a Lemons car your best bet is Cheapo blanks or at the most Brembo blanks, race pads up front ONLY, cheapo rear pads, and good fluid.
This is what I use on my track NX and is similar to what alot of the race guys use with good effect.

·
Registered
557 Posts
What kind (crossdrilled/slotted/blank) rotors do you run? Blank
What brand? China?
What size? Stock NX
How much? Free
Where do you get them? Random parts box in trunk of the car
Used, slightly micro cracked, and surface rusted from sitting around for 4+ years is all you need to win. And that was for the real 24 hour NON STOP race.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah, you are way overthinking it and losing sight on what lemons is all about. Use blanks, good pads and good fluid. Bring spares. Take the money you saved to put into your theme.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Stock on the G20. We use the cheapest rotors we can find made out of genuine CPM (Chinese Pot Metal). When they crack/warp (and every single one will, regardless of manufacturer), we throw them away (or use them for target practice) and throw another set on.
Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner. I get the cheapest rotors for my ITA SE-R. Two front sets last me a year of racing. I pay $10 per rotor from a local shop. They are Chinese. They start showing harline fractures. When the fractures become apparent, I replace them. I have been using these cheepos for over 8 years of racing. I only had one crack on me prematurely. It was an obvious defect. You could see that the metal was thinner where the crack was.

I do not cryo-treat rotors. I did it once, it was a total waste of money. Do not drill/slot the rotors. It is a waste of time. I tried slotted rotors once and the Hawk Blues ATE the slots :D I was impressed by the Hawk Blues. :biggthump

·
I drive a race car again!
1,370 Posts
As said above - the cheapest thing they have at the AutoHut. New rotors everytime new pads are put on. They are disposable.

·
H1racing.com
107 Posts
I have a Pulsar GTi-R that I weekend race...autocross and on the track. I use racing brake cross drilled and slotted rotors and EBC yellow stuff pads.

·
Local illeterate *******
161 Posts
I just installed some china rotors on Harpers SE-R
Don't think that car has ever had anything better in 10+ years....
I think they are like 20 bucks a piece.
EBC.. I remember my first track day. I bought some EBC back in the day and they lasted 20min. they are JUNK.
Cross drilled rotors... not going there.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Yep. I lost very large chunks from mine. Hawk, Carbotech and Metal Masters (in that order) were the best pads, IMO.

·
Female enthusiast
4,024 Posts
rotors only seem to last 1 set of DTC60 pads so we buy the cheapest rotors we can find (typically whatever is cheapest from www.rockauto.com and made in china)

We HAVE used Brembo blanks but they don't last any longer so why waste the money?

·
_______
2,170 Posts
For a Lemons car your best bet is Cheapo blanks or at the most Brembo blanks, race pads up front ONLY, cheapo rear pads, and good fluid.
This is what I use on my track NX and is similar to what alot of the race guys use with good effect.
That is EXACTLY what I am running on my track NX, Brembos, Carbotech pads.

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
I have been doing ebay on the chinese rotors myself. I replace them every set of pads or every other.

Brent

·
Bitter Old Man
2,637 Posts
Our first race we used the ancient rusty AD22s that came with the car though we popped for new Autozone pads. The pads were half worn after eight hours of racing (see my original race report) and had narrow cracks and glazed spots on them. The rotors are too thin to turn (safely), so we're getting new blanks (Brembo?) from Autozone and reman'ed AD22 calipers from O'Reillys. We still have to use the ancient rusty torque members. Gonna try some modified Hawk pads for the Eclipse. Not too happy with this idea myself but at least we have "real" race pads up front. Couldn't tell you what's on the rear of the car and we're not too inclined to find out. The pads aren't worn out nor are the rotors, so that sleeping dog is being left alone.

·
Registered
150 Posts
With stock se-r brakes, our Hawk HP+ pads lasted 3.5 hours. Then our autozone pads lasted about 1.5 hours each. We are now going to NX brakes, rotors, mc and going with a pad made for endurance. Maybe Pagid Yellow, but I can't find them for the NX. Ferodo, PFC and others make pads specific for endurance. I'd use Hawk blues at a minimum if the budget is tight

1 - 20 of 41 Posts