SR20 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
8,886 Posts
www.blackstone-labs.com OWNZ you.

Seriously, unless someone posts and says "I did oil analysis in a similiar situation....." I would just test the oil after your normal drain interval. My friend changes the oil on his DSM every weekend he hits the track. He runs a cooler and never sees those high temps. He had done some testing buy I never spoke with him about the results. I am curious what others who only track their cars do.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
adg016 said:
How often are you guys who are running Mobil 1 15W-50 changing the stuff? I routinely see sump temps in the 250-260F neighborhood if that's of any help.
Every 3 hours of track time. 250-260 degrees kills oil fast, even synth and is right on the verge of bearing damage. Bearings strat to get marginal right at 260.

Conventional wisdom of slightly overfilling the sump is wrong on SR's. With overfill the sump temp soars.+

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Define "overfilling the sump". Is 4 litres too much? I know it's more than the 3 5/8th litres, which is recommended, if I recall properly.

I've thrashed my car over and over on a road course with 4 litres without any problems.

Oh, and I usually change oil before an event, and don't leave it in terribly long afterwards. It's cheaper than a new engine and worth it for the peace of mind, IMO.

James

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did this on my Evo, but it doesn't see the track. I think I'll go ahead and have it done on the NX that is a track only car. I'll report the results so we can debunk (or uphold as the case may be) various speculation on what the high temps really do to the oil.

98sr20ve said:
www.blackstone-labs.com OWNZ you.
Seriously, unless someone posts and says "I did oil analysis in a similiar situation....." I would just test the oil after your normal drain interval. My friend changes the oil on his DSM every weekend he hits the track. He runs a cooler and never sees those high temps. He had done some testing buy I never spoke with him about the results. I am curious what others who only track their cars do.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
What high temps does to an oil is not an opinion and will not show up on this sort of analyisis.

Look at the oil after a track even if you are a fast, advanced level driver. It might look clean but its all thick from oxidation. Call up the maunfactures and tell them about the sump temps and duration of those temps and they will tell you when the oil will start to fail.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike,

I'm not questioning you. :) Are you saying a Blackstone analysis will reveal nothing in terms the degraded specific qualities you're speaking of? What kind of analysis CAN measure that then. I'm curious.

choaderboy2 said:
What high temps does to an oil is not an opinion and will not show up on this sort of analyisis.
Look at the oil after a track even if you are a fast, advanced level driver. It might look clean but its all thick from oxidation. Call up the maunfactures and tell them about the sump temps and duration of those temps and they will tell you when the oil will start to fail.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Spoke with Staveley Fluids Analysis in Cleveland, Ohio today. They CAN and will measure oxidation and a number of other things you might not be aware of. :tongue:

choaderboy2 said:

·
B13 Budget Racing 4TW!
311 Posts
Hey good thread going here, I'm going to be road racing soon too, and this info is very helpful.

Just wondering though, anyone on here use royal purple motor oil? How come I haven't seen anyone who has said they use it on this thread?

-Mike

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know no road racer using it.

Mike96G20 said:
Hey good thread going here, I'm going to be road racing soon too, and this info is very helpful.
Just wondering though, anyone on here use royal purple motor oil? How come I haven't seen anyone who has said they use it on this thread?
-Mike

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I change every other event. In between, I put on a new filter. I use Mobil 1 5W-30. I do not *race* though.

51 weekends so far. Engine is still strong. #52 is this weekend at "The Rock".

Edit: I must say that my oil looks MUCH better after weekend #1 since I switched to the NX radiator. A sign to me the engine is staying much cooler.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mike96G20 said:
-Mike
I use nothing but Royal Purple products on my cars. I run Royal Purple water wetter, tranny gear oil (85W-140), 10W-30 motor oil for my N/A NX, and 15W-40 for my Turbo B13. I took the B13 to Street of Willow three week ago and the car ran fine without any problem. I plan to have the oil tested.

·
B13 Budget Racing 4TW!
311 Posts
adaluz said:
I use nothing but Royal Purple products on my cars. I run Royal Purple water wetter, tranny gear oil (85W-140), 10W-30 motor oil for my N/A NX, and 15W-40 for my Turbo B13. I took the B13 to Street of Willow three week ago and the car ran fine without any problem. I plan to have the oil tested.
Ah cool someone else does use it. I'm going to be using Royal Purple 10w30 as well for my engine, because I have heard all good things about it! For my tranny I am using Redline Shockproof, but I didn't even know that Royal Purple made gear oil.

-Mike

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
Mike96G20 said:
Ah cool someone else does use it. I'm going to be using Royal Purple 10w30 as well for my engine, because I have heard all good things about it! For my tranny I am using Redline Shockproof, but I didn't even know that Royal Purple made gear oil.
-Mike
I didnt think RP was good for our trannys?

·
Registered
10 Posts
many people might be mad at me for saying this, but i don't have much experience in road race. but... i have a 180 (rs13 sr20det). i'm not sure if my mechanic is going to put regular oil or synthetic... but will running 20w50 be alright for a few runs on the track, occasionally?... please inform :)

·
Nissan Sport Magazine
182 Posts
K.Ogawa said:
many people might be mad at me for saying this, but i don't have much experience in road race. but... i have a 180 (rs13 sr20det). i'm not sure if my mechanic is going to put regular oil or synthetic... but will running 20w50 be alright for a few runs on the track, occasionally?... please inform :)
It depends. If you're running very loose tolerances on your main bearings AND you have a comp oil pump (or modded your OEM pump for a higher flow rate), than 20W50 MIGHT be needed. That high a viscocity might also help in the middle of a long, hot summer day at your local road racing track. But since I'm writing this in November '05, I've got to believe that kind of high temp is NOT a problem at this time of year. IMHO- most cars will get adequate protection with a 5W30 weight synthetic and the lighter weight will flow better at start-up and possibly free up a few ponies as it warms to operating temp.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dkmura said:
It depends. If you're running very loose tolerances on your main bearings AND you have a comp oil pump (or modded your OEM pump for a higher flow rate), than 20W50 MIGHT be needed. That high a viscocity might also help in the middle of a long, hot summer day at your local road racing track. But since I'm writing this in November '05, I've got to believe that kind of high temp is NOT a problem at this time of year. IMHO- most cars will get adequate protection with a 5W30 weight synthetic and the lighter weight will flow better at start-up and possibly free up a few ponies as it warms to operating temp.
I pretty much agree with this. I'm still a bit tepid to try 30 wt oil with my sump temps, but I'm experimenting now with Redline 10W40. Mobil 1 50 wt shears down anyhow at very high temps and acts more like a 40 wt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts