SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BOOST OR GO HOME!!!!!
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just wondering what you guys perfer to have a turbo car for road raceing or a na. what you guys think would do better turbo gti-r engine or sr20 with every bolt on imagine plus bored out to 2.1 liters 300zx high compressoin pistons and nos for those street nights.:)

·
Registered
487 Posts
In my area most circuits have long front straights and the courses seem to favor fast cars. I think for people in my area it may be better to go for turbo, as it's a cheaper way to get lots of power to the ground. Other courses may be different though.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
It would depend on the road course and your preferences. Some people say that turbos are quicker, but tend to have over heating issues. I guess it depends on the setup. They also say that you break trannies quicker with a turbo setup, but trannies have been broken with high HP N/A SR20's also. I guess when it comes down to it, it would be a matter of the what type of course it is and YOUR style. Whatever you choose, good luck to you. :)

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
From a reliability standpoint I'd say go N/A. Before I get a bunch of replies saying how reliable turbos are, has anyone done 5 or more track events on a turbo with zero problems? All the turbo track cars I know of have problems all the time. The ones that don't undergo CONSTANT maintenace to keep them working right and reliable on track. An all motor SR20 needs nothing more than Mobil 1 at regualr intervals and 92+ octane. This is all I've needed to do for 2 years and 20 track weekends. You may not be as fast as a turbo on track, but you're wallet will thank you.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea turbos tend to lend themselves to more work and more worries. Just remember with any engine a set of underdrive pullies are needed. Cause all that high rpm driving causes the waterpump to become utterly useless unless its underdriven. But the turbos tend to over heat or have problems alot more than NA. Just depends on situations. If you are ragged edge tuned NA then you will probaly overheat just as much. But simple bolt ons and computer you will win the endurance race over the turbos. Also it isnt how fast your car is, its how fast the driver is.

·
BOOST OR GO HOME!!!!!
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanxs for the info guys i will look at my cost between na and turbo. i never thought about over heating in the turbo motors. i thought all those little features(oil squiters quad throttle bodies) in the gti-r motor would elimnate that. i guess not.:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
another thing is driving the cars, N/A motors you have to make sure you keep the revs in the power band.

With any type of blower you also have worry about getting boost when you want it and when you don't want it.

I do auto-x with my truck, and sometimes that blower can be a real pain.

As for overheating, a good intercooler and proper cool down will help out alot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts