SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok i screwed up and didnt label the shims and rocker arm on my sr20de (jdm) and when i put them back in (i didn't know they had to be in order) my rocker arm fell off and broke some shims in the process. ok here is my question can i just take the shims and rocker arms off another sr20 head in order and put it in my car in the same order. also is the height difference the same on all the sr20s

·
Registered
57 Posts
No offcourse you can't.
Don't you think if the order was the same on all engines Nissan would've used different shims?

It's all about difference in height between the 2 valves on each rocker. If they're not within spec you use up the camshaft in 1000 miles.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
time to go to the machine shop or time to find a complete head from another forum member

·
Registered
SR20DE stock G20 p10 highport
92 Posts
ASSUMING kickass240 HAD KEPT THE ROCKER ARMS AND SHIMS ORGANIZED, why could he not "just take the shims and rocker arms off another sr20 head in order and put it in [his] car in the same order?"
Is it that the rocker arms, shims AND CAMS MUST all come from the SAME head if non-original rocker arms/ shims are to be used at all?
Is it that valve stems are not of the same length from engine to engine, hence the need for a unique shim for each pair of valve stem/retainers?
Why then do camshaft manufacturers advertise "drop-in" or "bolt-on" cams that they claim are "compatible with stock valve trains" and "require no adjustments me made?

Is it just understood that when installing a new camshaft, the new cam's lobes are going to wear down a bit in order to match the shape or level of the existing rocker arms?

My camshafts are pitted, so I am sure my rocker arms have been affected (abnormal wear). What am I left to do, replace the entire head? Or can I find a head, and switch out rocker arms, shims and camshafts, all from the same head, and put them into my original head?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts