SR20 Forum banner

Rocker Arm Popout!!! PICS! Help

10K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  taareni9 
#1 ·
Alright my timing chain jumped a tooth, got the cams at 12 and 10 with 20 pins between at TDC, put the tensioner back in, and started to turn the crank by hand to see if the timing was going to maintain.... then POP! The 2 pieces that hold the rocker arm flew out of the valvetrain after about 3/4 of a turn and the rocker arm is out, but NOT BROKEN?!?! WTF Does anyone know why this happened and what I need to do to fix it?

See less See more
#4 ·
There was only 19 pins between the sprocket marks and I couldn't time my car past 2 degrees, I am 100% sure I jumped a tooth, thats not the problem now, I didn't not TOUCH the rocker arms so I couldn't have mixed anything up?!?! I am VERY CONFUSED!

#8 ·
exactly, they just pivot on the cam and the valve. those things that poped off are the shims.......peices of carefully measured metal that that keep the valve train from "ticking"

Greddy Rocker Arm Stoppers, allow you to rev higher than stock without risk of kicking off rocker arms. A common problem on SR20's. A finger rests above each of the eight rocker arms if they've began to float and raise then they hit the finger and this keeps them from coming off their seat and causing catastrophic engine failure.
^ get some. cost about$40-70 on ebay

when you jumped a tooth the rocker most likely shifted and when the cam turned that was enough to push it off its seat......causing the valve springs to decompress shotting the shims accross the room.:biggthump

#9 ·
Really, so if the arm isn't cracked or broken I could just put it back in? Do you need to get a new shim and guide, or can you re-use the ones that popped out? I haven't taken the cam out again since it happened.

#10 ·
Put them back in...

The issue is, what caused the binding and rocker to pop off, are you sure that you didn't skip more than a few teeth? I guess you can carefully try to turn the motor over again and see if it happens yet again. If it does, then you got a bigger problem to worry about.

Also, don't get the rocker arm stoppers... don't take my word for it, just do a search on the forum and you'll find alot of credible guys that will steer you away from using them.

#17 ·
Pulling the front cover involves FIRST removing the crossmember, the exhaust from the manifold, the upper and lower oil pans, the crank pulley, the alternator, radiator (to pull the alternator more easily) and the power steering and a/c, alternator belts. A lot of bolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.