SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much would a rollcage stiffin up the NX as in body and seam flex ? are they worth the truble of installing just for that intent ?

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
It does stiffen the car a great deal. And no, if that's your only intent, don't bother. The rear seat becomes useless as well as the hatch. Getting in and out over a door bar on a daily driver is a major pain in the ass. And what if you get hit and whap your head on that really hard metal?

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah those are good points, i coudnt care less abotu my back seat i have that out already, but maing a pain using the hatch would suck.
what would you do to stop the car from flexing becouse of stiffer shocks so my seams dont pull apart over time.

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
Door bars can be a pain but if installed correctly anyone can get used to it.. it is all about prioritys!

As far as the hatch being useless... make the cross bar removeable.. might not be as stiff, still will be stiff.. make it removeable and when you are not at the track or whatever just unbolt it so you can have the useability of the hatch!

later

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
what would you do to stop the car from flexing becouse of stiffer shocks so my seams dont pull apart over time.
I have never heard of this problem. Is it really an issue or are you just trying to think of what might happen?

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you have never seen seems split on cars before ? its a problem that accompanies lowered cars and stiff suspension.

the welds will start to stretch and split over time from more stress. vary common in wheel wells.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Nope, never seen it before. I could definitely see this happening on the fine automotive products turned out in the 1970s though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
cage

Seam pull happens to cars 8-10 yrs old no matter what make/suspension. Harsh suspensions exacerbate the problem.

Stuff ages. Get used to it. Stiffening the chassis (w/a cage or other means) will help.

Keep in mind - almost all mods have limits and drawbacks.

I once saw an NX that had stiffer springs/struts, anti-roll bars, thick tower bars front and rear, and a good cage. The car was so stiff that the windshield cracked. It was the only flex point on the car. I also read in Autoweek that this happened to a race-only car. It's rare but does happen. A cage will not only keep you safe, it will also help w/handling. There is a limit though.

PNWser is correct. I have seen more than a few NX cages w/useable hatches.

·
Registered
484 Posts
hoe much money are we talking about here? i was just hinking of getting a rear bar w/harness mount. i like the idea of a removable trunk bar in order to still use the hatch.

Alex

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have no idea how much they are ? if im going to have a roll cage i was going to make it. since i can get seamless pipe for free or next to nothing.

·
8,148 Posts
Speaking of which, my NX has splits at the seams in my door area. Around the lock hitch there are cracks in the door jamb. My left fenderwell/strut tower seam is splitting, around my door it has hariline cracks. I found that to be a problem on 91 NX's. My old hood had cracked to pieces around the hinge. I had to replace the hood because of it. NX's are too strong in places creating weak spots in others it seems (or seams).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts