SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can use any cam designed for sr20 in RR motor. 100% proven fact. We've used sr20 non RR regrind cams in RR motor with no problem.

·
Registered
945 Posts
well the different radius of the cam follower means that a non-rr cam in an rr motor will have less duration than the number posted for the spraybar timing on that cam.

regards,

Mike

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
a RR cam will have a ramp angle way too agressive to run in a regular flat tappet style head. I have access to new factory billets, I can make some cams larger than S3R's if wanted but 5 sets minimum though. It would take some time though.

I would need to get a real RR cam, intake or exhaust, and then make a larger profile.

the VE S/R kits will fit the RR motor head.

·
Registered
945 Posts
a RR cam will have a ramp angle way too agressive to run in a regular flat tappet style head. I have access to new factory billets, I can make some cams larger than S3R's if wanted but 5 sets minimum though. It would take some time though.

I would need to get a real RR cam, intake or exhaust, and then make a larger profile.

Well that surprises me as it seems to be running quite well at the moment.

Mike

·
Poppin' Granite sparkle
324 Posts

if that was the case, id be one to buy.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Me too some type of s4 for the rr would be great

·
finally got a classic
631 Posts
s4's for the roller rocker would be badass....put me down for a set right now!!

but whats being said here is i "could" use a regular ol s4 cam in my rr head with little to no issues???

·
Poppin' Granite sparkle
324 Posts
^^that is also what im wondering as well.

·
15642uner
1,681 Posts

i'd be down for a set and i also have 2 sets of stock cams laying around. one set with 1700 miles and the other with low 40k miles i'd willing to throw in for the cause for maybe a small discount :confused: :biggthump

·
Cookin Up Some Snails
1,348 Posts
is it possible to use SR20VE cams in a Roller rocker SR20DE engine?

if so what are the ups and downs if anyone knows?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
ve cams do not fit a DE head.

as far as making the RR cams fit in the stock head with stock springs, thats the JWT S3R. I would probobly make something bigger than the JWT ones but you would need springs, the RR head uses the same 36.5mm installed height as the VE motor. the DE uses 40mm installed height which allows more room for coil bind.

I'd be interested in seeing a dyno of the JWT S3R cam VS the DE S4. the S3R should make more power because the S4 area isnt going to be there because its made for a flat tappet lifter not a roller. They will have more power than stock, but not the duratino.

·
15642uner
1,681 Posts

·
Cookin Up Some Snails
1,348 Posts
ve cams do not fit a DE head.

as far as making the RR cams fit in the stock head with stock springs, thats the JWT S3R. I would probobly make something bigger than the JWT ones but you would need springs, the RR head uses the same 36.5mm installed height as the VE motor. the DE uses 40mm installed height which allows more room for coil bind.

I'd be interested in seeing a dyno of the JWT S3R cam VS the DE S4. the S3R should make more power because the S4 area isnt going to be there because its made for a flat tappet lifter not a roller. They will have more power than stock, but not the duratino.

correct me if im wrong butt does the Roller Rocker DE engines 99-01 not share components with the VE engines?

if you look at a roller rocker DE engine and a VE engine they look very similar . However i know , the solenoids , VVL etc are diffrent.

But do they share oil pumps ? How diffrent can the Cams be. I know you make cams for the VE but have you compared a Roller rocker cam to a VE cam?

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
don't put non rr cams in a roller rocker DE... I think its counterproductive. It's not the correct application, Just because they fit doesn't make it correct. The cam lobe radius ratios are different. You can put a man in a gorilla suit in the congo too, but that doesn't mean that he will survive.

in other words, it will run okay, but not the way it should/could.

Please check out this thread guys.... it would be awesome to get it rolling again and spread the conversation there.... to keep all the roller rocker info in one place. :D
http://www.sr20forum.com/technical-...dm-usdm-roller-rocker-sr20de-info-thread.html

SR20freak, i would def love to see some cams made... nummy :D

your making me want to post up a passage I made about this subject.

·
Cookin Up Some Snails
1,348 Posts
i know that you "can not "put 91-98 cams in a Roller rocker or VE.

i read that thread after it was posted a while back.

1. will VE cams fit a roller rocker DE ?.

2. does the VE and Roller rocker DE share the same oil Pump?.

thats all, not being a smart a$$ just want more knowledge;) .

1 - 20 of 56 Posts