SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've driven 2k, and 2k01 G20's They read red at like 6700. This is the new redline for SR20's. They will become the Sentra base engine in a few years I believe. There are some fundamental changes in the latest SR20's. Look in recent issues of Sport Compact there was an article on the whole thing. But look for further taming/greening out to occur in future models. Nissan claims that they have strengthened the rest of the range to compensate. I can't testify to the validity of this. I know i'm pissed every time i hit the 7100 limit on my 200 though. Lousy fascists watering down my car!

·
0 Posts
WAZ UP!!
Hey , my 94 classic redlines at 7500 rpms.
and it saw plenty of it this weekend.
Wooped up on an Integra and sooped up Stanza.
wooohoooo!!!

------------------
"Spidey"
3x ex-Honda owner

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
Your car comes into power much quicker than the older models. It peaks out earlier and I guess they didn't see the need to wind out the motor. Since there are currently no cams available for this head design your not losing anything much. You do have the advantage of a 4 counterweight crank and roller rockers which will free up some power. So if they do come out with cams and a computer It should be pretty sweet. But the lower redline definitely takes some of the fun out of it.

------------------
98 200SX SE-R custom cold air by Andreas, AEBS header, Greedy exhaust, JWT motor mounts, UR pullies, Nismo fuel press.reg, JWT C1 cams and JWT gears, Valve springs and titanium retainers, ACT HD/PP, Clutchmasters flywheel,Sprint spring/AGX combo, no cat, custom JWT computer w/cam program, Bored airflow meter, and a best ET of 14.78 @94.8mph on street tires with full interior and no limited slip diff!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
When I saw a dyno chart of a 2k+ SR20DE with the lower redline, I expected the power to drop off more than it did. It was still making very good power at fuel cut (or whenever they let their foot off the gas on the dyno).
There are some emmissions reasons that the redline has been getting lower. I don't know the details on the emissions.
It should be able to handle the same revs. Although the roller rocker cam profiles will be different and the vavle springs might be different. I dont know if the changes will limit you to a lower AFTERMARKET redline than the 91-99 aftermarket redline (7800).

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
91-94 SE-R redline: about 7500rpms

95-99 SE-R redline: about 7100rpms

00-01 SE redline: 6700rpms (estimate)

You can clearly see Nissan has detuned the cars each year

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ goodies
15.1 @ 90mph at Englishtown, NJ

·
0 Posts
I did the same **** when I raced an Accord.
doe!!! I saw 7800 but I also saw his taillights.
doe!!!
Next weekend its on!!

------------------
"Spidey"
3x ex-Honda owner

·
Registered
883 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 94_REDSE-R:
I did the same **** when I raced an Accord.
doe!!! I saw 7800 but I also saw his taillights.
doe!!!
Next weekend its on!!

</font>
hehe, you have to shift out of first.

G

·
0 Posts
I remember seeing somewhere that the SR20DE redlines somewhere over 7000. I have a 2001 Sentra SE with the SR20DE and my tach redlines at 6500. Is the tach just more conservative than in earlier models? If it's an SR20DE, shouldn't it be able to handle the same revs? Am I mistaken in my memory of where the old redlines were???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts