SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I've been noticing that my nx2000 hits over 4000RPM when cruising around 80mph on 5th gear, and a friend's galant stays down at 3k at that speed. I've also drove my sister's 1.6 sentra at that speed and her RPM didn't seem that high. Is my car out of tune or am I just getting paranoid??
TIA,
Nick

·
Registered
723 Posts
ours cars are just geared that short for better performance... tho i dont really need that short 5th gear since i dont race in 5th.

anyawys, civic si's and integra type r's wil do about the same at that speed.

it might be an annoyance if uve got exhaust and whatnot... but i like the power on tap :D

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
80 at 4k? im probly doing about 100 at 4k in my nx.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Limited Slip said:
it might be an annoyance if uve got exhaust and whatnot... but i like the power on tap :D
Yes it is very annoying with my exhaust system, and I'm beginning to get very irritated because my sound system got stolen a few months ago and now I'm noticing that my car is very loud at 4k RPM.

92nx2k, do you have any suggestions on why my RPM is so high? ( Guys keep in mind that I have about 150k on the clock, and my NGK wires and Bosh +4 plugs are only a few months old)

I haven't changed my distributor cap and rotor in more than 2 years so can that be it??
Any ideas guys/gals??

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
just to make sure, im going out for a drive right now. ill be back round 5, and ill tell you for sure exactly what my rpms are at, cause i could be wrong. ill ask some people about the problem but i cannot tihnk of anything that could be causing that, not if its a 5spd.

·
Nut Hugger Bandwagon
2,558 Posts
I don't think that is right 4k at 80mph in 5th gear only because in 3rd gear at redline you should be at or around 90 mph so a shift to 4th would be round 4.5k. That's on my car and my friends classic.Just my .02cents.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That was an excellent question, one i have been wondering about myself. Good to know that my NX isn't as f*?k up as I originally thought.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I also wondered that about my NX - I'm at about 4k @ 80 also... however my G20 will run about 3k+ at the same speed and its an auto... just a lot quieter....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay it seems like most of you guys agree with me except for RUTH'LESS NX2K, so I'm not so paranoid anymore. ;) Anyways, Im going with a BB DET in about a month so I'm hoping this wouldn't be a problem with that engine, any thoughts on that??

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I see no reason why it would be any different with a DET - the tranny will be the same - only thing that may make a difference is a different wheel and tire combo. Its the wheels/tranny that determine RPM's of the engine at a given speed. A turbo does quiet things down in the exaust dept. - so maybe it won't sound as bad :p

Chris

·
Nut Hugger Bandwagon
2,558 Posts
1BAD_NX I do agree with you now that i got in my car and saw it with my very own eyes I was at 4K @ 80.Guess I never really paid attention to that aspect.

·
8,148 Posts
3K doing 60 is about right. In 4th gear, your speedo and tach should be dead even/parallel or whatever. BTW Suckit? When the hell do you work? I comee by and you are never there. I was driving the 42 Sunday and I did not see your car.

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
mine is at 42-43k rpm at 100 mph. i have an automatic maybe thats making a difference.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MauiBlueGride said:
I see no reason why it would be any different with a DET - the tranny will be the same - only thing that may make a difference is a different wheel and tire combo. Its the wheels/tranny that determine RPM's of the engine at a given speed. A turbo does quiet things down in the exaust dept. - so maybe it won't sound as bad :p

Chris
That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the enlightenment MauiBlueGride. So what about the quaife stuff people do on trannys :confused: (Someone please tell me what that does and if that could lower the rpm on our cars)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
92nx2k said:
mine is at 42-43k rpm at 100 mph. i have an automatic maybe thats making a difference.
Yeah I think the auto trannys are much lower with rpms, or at least thats what I noticed on my friend's se-r.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Pretty White said:
3K doing 60 is about right. In 4th gear, your speedo and tach should be dead even/parallel or whatever. BTW Suckit? When the hell do you work? I comee by and you are never there. I was driving the 42 Sunday and I did not see your car.
Sundays and Wednesdays im there but i dont drive all the time cause its only 5 min walk. You drive the 42 now?
As for the tranny i might try what timmy suggested and swap 2nd and 3rd gear out of the Gti-r tranny into mine...Ian, as you know this was how he said his brother did [email protected] from the low 13's he ran originally.

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
Also the G20 has a taller tire, that will make the effective final drive change so the car will rev a bit lower.

The DET is a bit quieter but not all that noticeable at 80mph, although its quite easy to entertain yourself by slightly pushing on the throttle and getting into boost.... it makes cool noises :)

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
SucKit
wrote:

Sundays and Wednesdays im there but i dont drive all the time cause its only 5 min walk. You drive the 42 now?
As for the tranny i might try what timmy suggested and swap 2nd and 3rd gear out of the Gti-r tranny into mine...Ian, as you know this was how he said his brother did [email protected] from the low 13's he ran originally.
<end qoute>

Suckit - I think I've read about everywhere that a GTiR tranny gear won't work - two problems - one its AWD, second I've heard most are autos. Only way to use a tranny other than ours is to use the whole tranny. Only gears you can swap are G20 tranny gears into another SE-R tranny case.

Best of luck though.
Chris

1 - 20 of 29 Posts