SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The road's my slave
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i've noticed this for a while and whenever i slow down for a stop i notice my RPMS drop to about 500 sometimes a little lower i was wondering if it's normal or not and if it isn't, what can i do to stop it?

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Check to see how your brake booster is operating, an fsm is VERY handy to have around...

·
The road's my slave
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Storm88000 said:
Maybe your base idle is set too low.
hmm...is fsm factory service manual? i dont have one of those but i'm also wondering how i can change my idle speed to at least 1000 RPMS, and what's a brake boost??

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
a clogged fuel filter will represent itself that way sometimes, only when you hit the brakes or when you don't have your foot on the gas?

·
Nostalgic for Classics
189 Posts
Chris,

That's what the FSM is. You owe it to your car to at least get a Haynes manual ($15 or less new at auto parts stores). I just went through this problem with our '94 G20t. It is also known as the "coast-down idle stall"

There are many components that could cause this problem, but probably the #1 culprit is a dirty throttle body and/or IACV. I cleaned my throttle body first with carb cleaner, but the problem remained occasionally -- I had to remove the whole IACV unit and cleaned out all the black soot; problem solved. Easier to try diagnosing your EGR system first (with the unplug or "golf tee" trick), and check your base idle AND engine timing (see SE-R.net).

Also, read these links, explains how the SR20DE idles:

http://www.se-r.net/car_info/problems/index.html
http://www.se-r.net/engine/about_iacv.html
http://www.se-r.net/engine/troubleshooting_guide/info.html

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
For anybody on the forum to be of lots of help, we definitly need more info about your problem.....but there are several suggestions presented above, I reccomend you look into them!

·
Slowly modding...
389 Posts
IvanC hit it on the head. I have this same problem, but am not around to look into it. You can search on this forum, it is sometimes referred to 'idle drop problem'. Dont let it go unfixed, I did and now my car will stall on start up, or will stall repeatedly when I am slowing down and try to start it back up.

-Ken

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
ChrisNX2000 said:
hmm...is fsm factory service manual? i dont have one of those but i'm also wondering how i can change my idle speed to at least 1000 RPMS, and what's a brake boost??

Yeah, FSM means factory service manual. You should get one.

You can change your idle by adjusting the idle screw, it's on the left hand side towards the firewall if you were standing facing the front of the car with the hood popped.

·
The road's my slave
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks alot. is this something that i can do myself, i'm not much of a technician but i am one to try something new

·
Registered
619 Posts
Are you sure its just when u hit the brakes??? cause when i put it in nuetral after driving my RPM's drop quick and some time turns off... i was thinking it might be the cap and rotor or maybe the idle adjustment...

·
The road's my slave
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YES SER said:
Are you sure its just when u hit the brakes??? cause when i put it in nuetral after driving my RPM's drop quick and some time turns off... i was thinking it might be the cap and rotor or maybe the idle adjustment...
well sometimes when i start it up after i've driven it, it doesn't really start completely. it like get's started and then just seems to stall and die so i just start it up and it's all good. it starts up real good on a cold start the RPMS are at about 1500 and then drop to about 900 or 800

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dont just jack up the base idle to prevent this because that's not going to fix the real cause of the problem and the higher you set the idle the worse your gas mileage. I tried that once and got around 18mpg.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts