SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Pat Pat Pat
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ive been doing a bit of research here in New Zealand, and found we got a n16 pulsar with qg18de engine and rs5f70a gearbox. I saw a post where someone on here got a rs5f70 box from a b15, but took it back because it was off a 1800, not a qr25, so is there a difference? Cant imagine them making a trans with different internals, and same trans code. I know its non lsd, but will do more research and see if they were sold with lsd option, then can keep an eye out and ope for the best. Biggest prob will be most of these cars are auto (as nana's tend to buy them, they are pretty gay), and we have a smaller market here than you guys, so less wrecked cars to choose from.

Had a look at a n16 with this box today, and it certainly looks the same as pics of b15 trans seen on here, and the bolt pattern for the bell housing looks ok, but couldnt find where the vin plate is hidden with the transaxle code, but was deff a non lsd version.

·
huh??
3,407 Posts

·
Pat Pat Pat
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, we dont get any of those cars over here, but have found a n16 with a rs5f70a, but it is qg18de, so need to know if the b15 you get over there has the same engine and trans as ours, and if it will fit a sr20. I may just end up trying to find a trans at a wrecker and check it myself, but knowlegdge before hand could save me some leg work. I have found one about 250km away, just waiting to hear back if they still have it in stock, and maybe get me some pics.

·
Pat Pat Pat
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, this is starting to look so so now, it is a rs5f70 gearbox, but would appear from posts on here, that they made a different bell housing for the qg18 engine, maybe i could mod this to fit a sr20 still, but then its still open diff. If i get one for the right price, may make a go at modding one to fit, they are common enough over here, so if the conversion plus nismo lsd works out ok, then may be worth it still. Other option is PAR gearset, but converting one of these boxs would have to get to around half the cost of the PAR before i give it up and just save the pennys.

Ta for your help.

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
this makes no sense to me

A QG motor and SR motor bell hosuings are not close to being the same.

As far as getting the right tranny that matches the B15 one. Well you dont have the B15 but you do have the P11 which the B15 tranny comes in. Just find a RR P11 motor and the tranny you are looking for will be there

·
Registered
945 Posts
Any RR P11 will have a tranny that lines up to the SR20, but if you need the high power tranny then in the UK it needs to be a P11-144 which came later, so in Kiwi-land you may need to check which year got the uprated box.

Regards,

mike

·
Pat Pat Pat
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, we never got P11 Primera with manual trans after 1998, they were all poo CVT trans. Ive delt with a couple of wreckers and not found one that knows of any post 2000 sr20 fwd trans available, so Im gona be out of luck on the front, but im still looking in case. Apart from the 6 speed 20v box, which would be ok if i could get it from a front clip to get all the accesories, but most wreckers have never heard of them, and think im talking out my arse when i ask for one.

Drove a P12 20v manual wagon the other day, what an ugly car, what was Nissan thinking, they should have put this engine and trans in a Pulsar and kicked some honduhs. The one i drove was open diff too, so think the LSD was only an upspec on the Autech models. But these cars are not that common, and hard to tell the diference from a qr25 auto at 1st glance, so is going totake time....

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
Andreas Miko said:
this makes no sense to me

A QG motor and SR motor bell hosuings are not close to being the same.
Still Andreas, this leaves an open issue...

Both are referred to as RS5F70A(V) in all Nissan nomenclature. If they are indeed different, wouldn't they make sure they have a different code?

Judging from your experience, is it possible for two RS5F70 trannies to have a different bellhousing and still have the same code?

B15/P11/QG18 gear ratios BTW are following the same pattern we have seen in RS5F32A(V), depending on the application...

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
I say a buy one and put it in. That will close the debate.

·
Pat Pat Pat
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the bell housing is different on the Us spec 1800 cars, then prob the same here, so i guess that is that, its just a shame that i found a 70 series box right here in little old NZ, and its no good... sob... looking for a 20v sr20ve 6 speed and shifter now....

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
EVLNXR said:
If the bell housing is different on the Us spec 1800 cars, then prob the same here, so i guess that is that, its just a shame that i found a 70 series box right here in little old NZ, and its no good... sob... looking for a 20v sr20ve 6 speed and shifter now....

This is what I have been saying but people have been arguing with me. Like I said in this thread a few times it aint goin fit.

·
Pat Pat Pat
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, saw the pics in one fo the posts of the bell housing profile, (http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=97257&page=14&highlight=qg18 post no270) looks pretty different, may be worth while making a adaptor in NZ, but as they are all non lsd it would just be a waste of time. If it bolted up, i would get one and get a nismo lsd for it, and if it had a lsd, i would find a way to bolt it up.

Ta for your help on the subject.

·
Registered
17 Posts
90's Maxima box is the RS5F50A (or V). It was also fitted to SR20 powered U12 & U13 Bluebirds, with a different bellhousing. The 4WD version was in the GTiR, same code.

Another expample of the same box code with different bell housings is the RS5F31. It had at least 3 bell housings I can think of straight away = CG/GA, E, CA/CD.

The P12 20V box RS6F51A (or V) had the viscous as an option. A couple of years ago when I first looked at these there was at least 1 at a dealer in hamilton that had RS6F51V on the tag. It's not listed as a possible option thou, on the sedan or wagon, strange.
http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools
http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

The VQ35DE powered 2002- Maxima also had the RS6F51A and RS6F51H option (H=Helical)

·
Autech
106 Posts
Sorry to bump a bit of an old thread but......

On the talk of the gearset 70a/v being used in a variety of engines and applications - its obvious the bellhousing is a different, however the gearset casing to bellhousing mating pattern remains the same.

Now my question is - has anyone to date been able to bolt the outer casing(gearset/case/etc) - combined with the gearset to an early model 32 series or 50 series sr bellhousing?

Cheers
Dale

·
Pat Pat Pat
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nah, wont work, totaly differnt box.

Get a 6 speed from japan, or just save for the PAR gearset.

I was suprised when i found the 70 box in the n16, but they were def not specced with lsd at all, and the bellhousing being too different makes it way too much work.

·
Autech
106 Posts
Ok me being further on in my research:D

Sorry to bump and old thread but i didnt want to leave this open and unanswered if anyone ever stumbeld acrosss it.

You can take the gearbox from the QG18, rip off the bellhousing and put on a bellhousing from the B15 5 speed SR20. It will mate up perfectly and you can still retain the same flywheel and clutch.

Because the QG18 box was always open diff you can use the nismo RS5F32A mechanical LSD as it will fit and operate straight into the 70A box.

The bellhousing you need to source must be an open diff - ie 70A bellhousing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts