SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gah, my car is running so bad now, missing like a muthafucka! i still haven't found out what the red bands on my plugs signify..(http://www.sr20deforum.com/NonCGI/Forum1/HTML/002093.html)

i'm so broke, god, don't get paid until the monday after next...are you guys sure it's spark plugs? these plugs are brand new...wtf is going on here, i'm starting to get worried. it ran fine, now it's doing shitty, it runs fine, now it's doing shitty...it's puttering and missing like all hell..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Pull you plugs and take a picture of the electrode and post it here. Have you changed your cap and rotor? What about cleaning the TB and EGR? If you have done this and posted about it, sorry I guess I missed it. Where is your timing? Are you sure it's where you set it?

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here's some pics, i didn't post these last time, i don't know why..

and i have cleaned my TB and EGR, about a month ago...recently changed oil 500 mi. ago...HAVENT changed cap and rotor, yet..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Those plugs don't look too bad to me. The tip is whitish-grey and the electrode doesn't look warped, which suggests a healthy plug.

The plugs in my Classic have the rust-colored bands, but it doesn't seem to affect running. They're 20k mile Bosch Platnums and my car purrs. Go figure.

Try unplugging the lines to the EGR/BPT, and see what happens. Disconnecting them helped my idle a lot.

New plug wires, cap, and rotor seem like good bets when the cash rolls in.

New plug wires fixed a bad misfiring on an old AE92 Corolla my Mom had. That, after I spent money out-of-pocket to get that thing new plugs and filters. D'oh.

[This message has been edited by JimR (edited 09-05-2001).]

P

·
0 Posts
you can check the resistance of your leads (wires) by checking them with a multimeter (ohms) excessive ohms, ie if 3 are at 8ohms and one reads 40 then the higher one is faulty, the higher the number the higher the resistance in the lead, it is normal to have some resistance in the lead as this helps to supress the electrical noise in your radio whatever.
you can check the cap and rotor the same way also looking for lines running from piont to point, creating an earth itself isnt uncommon for the ignition as it is high voltage, also check the bottom (rubber bit) of the plugs on the leads (wires) themselves, look for white spots, if there are any, these are caused by the spark tracking and burning through the rubber sheath to earth, a get you by till you can afford new ones fix is to wrap it in insulation tape, but it will still burn through so tape it when it does it again if its that.
good luck, chris.

------------------
primeras its where its at.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
hey silver,

When I first had my SE-R I was missing alot too. It would miss whenever I would be WOT and it would hesitate to lunge out and kill anything in its way. I know you're broke but try and borrow a ski mask and .....
( dont do that). Bro, you're going to have to spend some dough to fix that baby up. I wish I lived near by to help you. Spark plug wires cost around $50 and the good plugs around $44. Cap and rotor about $20-25.
Do you need the emissions stuff? If not yank it out and take it for a spin. Im sorry the NX is acting up on you.

Keep the faith though!! Good luck.
Lets see some engine pics!!!

------------------

http://94_redse-r.tripod.com/FASTSER/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts