SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read one last thread on this from awhile ago and just wanted to get some new input ive heard good things on sound and the only downfall was the fumes kinda get to you. Is it to loud or would it be fine to run like this all the time, Ive got a 3 inch d/p and test pipe and would just run off the test pipe..... Just dont want to get annoyed by it being too loud..... talk about annoying i have a leak like right around the J pipe sounds like a dying truck haha. Thanks for any input, later.

Josh

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
OMG This thread sucks. This has been covered about 500 million times. You actually covered the majority of it in your own post. Its not terribly loud but all factors of it are annoying.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Im running open from the testpipe and i felt a somewhat big difference. It's loud as hell but i kinda like it like that.

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
From a technical stand point cuzz i know first hand its makes the o2 sensor very inacurate as it will not create enough heat for the o2 to function optimaly.......it will effect the fuel trim in one way or another this im sure and if you have a SAFC have fun.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK ya if its too loud then i dont want to be bothered by it thanks... and 97 SER you need to chill man who cares what i post i wanted some newer input and didnt feel like sitting here forever searching when people are nice enough to post quick replies. Thanks for the replies from everyone else.

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
Imma share this with you to:

Impressions:

Open downpipe: Sucks ass IMHO, not worth the smell and mess it makes, not to mention the noise.

2 1/4 inch downpipe with 2 inch stock exhuast and muffler: ****ing feels bad ass.

2 1/4 inch downpipe open at the cat: Nice

2 1/2 inch downpipe with 2 inch stock exhaust and muffler: So far I prefer my 2 1/4 downpipe with 2 inch.

P.S. I could not imagine using a 3 inch exhaust with a T25 ever.

2 1/4 inch downpipe spools the turbo much more quickly than the 2 1/2 IMHO. Much more torque down low to, just a hell-of-alot more fun to drive.........I could imagine at this point a nice straight threw muffler would help free up a few more horse power.

I know it sounds crazy, I though bigger was suppost to be better with turbo's, maybe only to an extent it is. Anyone care to comment, im sure someone will

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
I think the best system would be a 2 1/4 inch downpipe with a 2 1/4 inch to 2 1/2 inch cat back system.

Dont get me wrong there is a noticale difference when using a bigger size downpipe on the top end but its not worth the trade off IMHO.

·
I look good going slow
1,161 Posts
agreed! I got a 2.5" crush from dp to muffler no cat and it feels great.
As for open downpipe. I had the factory u13 down pipe that was torn of the car on my frends driveway. The car pulls much harder but its so annoyingly loud that when WOT people driving next to you stare as if you are going to blow up or something.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Open DP is great for racing, but daily driving it sucks, I did it for 2 weeks waiting for a 3'' exhaust to come in. Also, don't forget you are trading that massive top end for almost no low-end power. My trap speeds at the track went from 98 to 103 if that is any indication of the added top end :D

Justin

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
In my experience, i had 2.5 inch dp, and 2 1/4 exhuast system. After I cut the piping from the test pipe, i felt the car pulled harder once it hit full boost. I don't know tho... everyone has their own beliefs. I guess the real way to find out is to dyno it. Peas~

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Anybody running exhaust cutouts?

·
meh
867 Posts
charlie2020 said:
I know it sounds crazy, I though bigger was suppost to be better with turbo's, maybe only to an extent it is. Anyone care to comment, im sure someone will
bigger is always better if the downpipe/exhaust system is designed or fabricated correctly.....meaning a smooth transition from the turbine exducer (look at the newer GT turbine housings) to the downpipe or low angle "swedge" from say 2.5 to 3.0 in diameter piping. you will produce trq quicker, better performance or broader power curve, from boosting a little sooner from less backpressure with large diameter piping in the exhaust system than you will from scavenging exhaust gas after the turbine with small diameter piping. you want the least amount of backpressure in the exhaust system as possible.

in my own car, i designed and fabricated the down pipe and mid pipe out of mandrel bent 3.0 in 16 gauge stainless with 4.0 radii. there is only 1 90 deg. bend in the system....all the others have smaller angles. right now its open dp, but im going to throw a 4.0 in. catback on pretty soon ;)

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
Both my downpipes are mandrel bent BTW but the stock cat back is stock with crush bends.

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
BoostedSentra said:
OK ya if its too loud then i dont want to be bothered by it thanks... and 97 SER you need to chill man who cares what i post i wanted some newer input and didnt feel like sitting here forever searching when people are nice enough to post quick replies. Thanks for the replies from everyone else.
Newer input? this topic was discussed Last week. Just like everyother week.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
BoostedSentra said:
and didnt feel like sitting here forever searching when people are nice enough to post quick replies.
Please learn how to search and take the time to do it.

charlie2020 said:
2 1/4 inch downpipe with 2 inch stock exhuast and muffler: ****ing feels bad ass.
Charlie, you're still choking that engine. When I first installed my T28 setup (2.5" downpipe to stock 2 inch exhaust piping), it did indeed feel bad ass.

Until I went to the dragstrip. 14.57 @ 95mph was the result. One week later, I added a 3" cat, resonator, and muffler. No other changes. The car went 13.70 @ 100mph that day.

Almost .90 of a second difference, which is about 2-3 car lengths in the 1/4 mile. Just wanted to share that with you.

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
I for sure tell you one thing my car doesn;t run that slow. I know I gotta take it to the track, but trust me most all my buddies have very low 13's second cars 13.3 sec being the fastest and I whoop on all of them on a regular basis.

There no doubt it is choked up, i wont deny that obviosly going form 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 to 2 is not good.

IMO the car doesn't spool faster with the open downpipe for whatever reason that is.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well what would you guys do next, i didnt expect to get this car as fast as i did and get the motor in it either but it happened and i still dont know enough about the car, would you leave the 3 inch dp and GReddy SP that ive got and go for injectors to run more boost or would go for the 3 inch exhaust next? I guess it could be a toss-up?

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
BoostedSentra said:
Well what would you guys do next, i didnt expect to get this car as fast as i did and get the motor in it either but it happened and i still dont know enough about the car, would you leave the 3 inch dp and GReddy SP that ive got and go for injectors to run more boost or would go for the 3 inch exhaust next? I guess it could be a toss-up?

thats totalllyy on you! everyone always has a toss up lol go for whats smarter in your opinion... if this was a dicision i had to make i would dump it for the dp and up the injectors... but i have also ran with my exhaust disconnected from the cat back for 2 years now (NA) and i am not sure if turbo is louder than NA but, its not that i like the sound of my uncapped exhaust, its that im soo usto it, its almost like you can totally feeel your engine, and you also dont ever have to look at your tach. i can shift right on 7.5 everytime.. but if i get in my friends se-r with the same mods (capped exhaust) i cant tell where the hell i am and i just dont feel as "one" with my car

its alllll preference some people thinks its annoying some people find it fun. im going turbo very soon and i know im not going to waste the money right away for a nice exhaust. im going for radiator, and all the other stuff to make it run better.

ohhh another thing open exhuast will seriously get you 50% more of those tickets you wouldnt have got with it capped... i have been pulled over before by a cop when i wasnt speeding. he said " i was posted at chuckie cheese (almost across town from where i was pulled over) and i heard a car flying through the gears red linning 1 through 3, i hear you everytime you get on that throttle, you better hopeeee i dont see you in action BOI...fix that exhaust" lol i said thank you officer ill get it fixxed! soo you cant get on it as much but when u do its pretty intimidating.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
charlie2020 said:
I for sure tell you one thing my car doesn;t run that slow. I know I gotta take it to the track, but trust me most all my buddies have very low 13's second cars 13.3 sec being the fastest and I whoop on all of them on a regular basis.

There no doubt it is choked up, i wont deny that obviosly going form 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 to 2 is not good.

IMO the car doesn't spool faster with the open downpipe for whatever reason that is.
Just take it to the dragstrip. No way with that little exhaust you break a 13.5.

My T28 spooled much quicker with open downpipe, but there is a definite loss of torque down low.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts