SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My set-up right now:
DE ECU, DE Injectors, OBX Header, DE MAF, VE TB, DE TPS, DE Distributor, HS CAI...
In order to start the motor, I had to drop in my DE Injectors and switch over to the DE TPS... (VE injectors were bad, but now they're fixed)
The motor was running fine for a couple of days, but since Wednesday it started to act up... Now it idles real rough, it sputters and gives off a very strong smell of gas... It started small, but now it's really BAD!!!
My conclusion/assumption, I'm running rich and I guess I'm dumping too much fuel in the chamber... Unless I'm missing something...
Question:
How bad is that for the motor, running too rich?
I'm putting back the VE injectors and the VE TPS back on tonight!! Anything else I should check for? Bad MAF?
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
The VE injectors will cause you to run even richer. You need a JWT ECU to run VE injectors.

·
agent camel toe
9,396 Posts
i was in the same boat..get the jwt ecu and use the ve inj..i have a b14 tb/tps and its fine..do u have a cat?i dont and the smells pretty bad..im going for the magnaflow high flow cat soon.get the ecu,fpr and tune it with a wideband to get the best driving exp. in the world..and yeah ur vvl will pop harder once u tune it..saves gas also

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
If you are using the DE ECU you need to keep the DE injectors/MAF. If you have a JWT ECU programed for VE injectors and you're using DE injectors it will run lean. If you're running the DE ECU and DE injectors, it should not be running rich. Check you're oxygen sensor and coolant temp sensor.

Running rich shouldnt hurt much, other then your wallet, spark plugs, o2 sensor, and cat, all depending upon how long and how rich its running.

·
agent camel toe
9,396 Posts
running the ve on my car for like 3 months killed my o2..ur eyes will burn if ur standing behind the car 2 long also..lol...and ull get like 160-180 miles per tank also.....tuning is the key element to swaps..does anyone know where the coolant temp sensor is on the ve?same spot as the de?

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
bj200sx said:
so i'ts absolutely positive i'm gonna run rich if i have everything stock ve? (ecu, injectors, maf, etc)
If you stick with everything from the DE (ECU, MAF, Injectors) it will probably run ok.

The coolant temp sensor is in a different spot at least between a highport DE and a VE, but yeah, they are still in the same general area.

·
agent camel toe
9,396 Posts
so its right by the oil filter on the de..purple plug?i think mines is loose or something cause when i rev passed 4 k it drops..its like an extra tach;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well my coolant temp sensor looks fine as far as I can tell... the gauge doesn't act up or anything... The problem is definitely fuel related (I'd bet)...

I don't have a JWT ECU yet, but I am running the 99' DE ECU with the DE Injectors, the DE TPS and the DE MAF... The JWT ECU is soon to come, but I need to run the car for now...
Would a bad front 02 sensor throw things off like that??

Cuz' I am running the DE OBX header and the front one is smacked right there... instead of the VE way down the secondary pipe...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ouch...

OnyxEros said:
To specifically answer your question, running too rich will destroy your piston rings...and your motor
That's all I needed to know... pretty much... :(
But is that an immediate process or is it an over-a-long-period-of-time kinda' thing... :confused:
I barely have 1 week driving the car with the motor in it... I'd hate to know that I'm about to blow it in a matter of 2-3 days driving it this way... :( :confused:

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Fraychild said:
Well my coolant temp sensor looks fine as far as I can tell... the gauge doesn't act up or anything... The problem is definitely fuel related (I'd bet)...
I don't have a JWT ECU yet, but I am running the 99' DE ECU with the DE Injectors, the DE TPS and the DE MAF... The JWT ECU is soon to come, but I need to run the car for now...
Would a bad front 02 sensor throw things off like that??
Cuz' I am running the DE OBX header and the front one is smacked right there... instead of the VE way down the secondary pipe...
The gauge and the ECU read two different sensors. One wire sensor goes to the gauge, two wire goes to the ECU. If the two wire one is bad it can cause you to run rich. Yes a bad front o2 sensor will cause you to run rich.

·
retired
1,501 Posts
t bags said:
ur the man..exx i knew kesi was right..should i just replace it?the temp tickering like that is pretty annoying
You can replace it, i bent the prong on mine.

Fray, make sure the coolant temp sensor is in spec. Did you use the sensor from your DE? If not put the one from the DE in the VE.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts