SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My set-up right now:
DE ECU, DE Injectors, OBX Header, DE MAF, VE TB, DE TPS, DE Distributor, HS CAI...
In order to start the motor, I had to drop in my DE Injectors and switch over to the DE TPS... (VE injectors were bad, but now they're fixed)
The motor was running fine for a couple of days, but since Wednesday it started to act up... Now it idles real rough, it sputters and gives off a very strong smell of gas... It started small, but now it's really BAD!!!
My conclusion/assumption, I'm running rich and I guess I'm dumping too much fuel in the chamber... Unless I'm missing something...
Question:
How bad is that for the motor, running too rich?
I'm putting back the VE injectors and the VE TPS back on tonight!! Anything else I should check for? Bad MAF?
Thanks again!

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well my coolant temp sensor looks fine as far as I can tell... the gauge doesn't act up or anything... The problem is definitely fuel related (I'd bet)...

I don't have a JWT ECU yet, but I am running the 99' DE ECU with the DE Injectors, the DE TPS and the DE MAF... The JWT ECU is soon to come, but I need to run the car for now...
Would a bad front 02 sensor throw things off like that??

Cuz' I am running the DE OBX header and the front one is smacked right there... instead of the VE way down the secondary pipe...

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ouch...

OnyxEros said:
To specifically answer your question, running too rich will destroy your piston rings...and your motor
That's all I needed to know... pretty much... :(
But is that an immediate process or is it an over-a-long-period-of-time kinda' thing... :confused:
I barely have 1 week driving the car with the motor in it... I'd hate to know that I'm about to blow it in a matter of 2-3 days driving it this way... :( :confused:

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advices guys...
Money goes to whom suggested that the O-rings on the DE Injectors were bad - ;)
When I removed the DE Injectors last night, I noticed that the smaller O-rings at the tips were torn to shreds... They were barely hanging from the injectors.
VE Injectors and VE TPS are back in the car and the motor's running strong and smoothly again.
Honestly, I pray that this is the last thing I deal with until I receive the JWT reprog ECU...

The CTS with the 2-wires is the one that activates the fans BTW...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.