SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a RWD SR20DE (S13) swapped into a Datsun 1600. The engine ran fine until one day I tried to start it and it would only crank. Im getting fuel pressure so I believe this is spark related. I did a search and read that the ignitor or coil could go bad. Is this what I should be looking into? Or maybe dist. rotor? Also heard that even a bad MAFS could cause this, is this true?
Please point me in the right direction to what should be replaced.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Its almost always the simplest answer.
Check spark plugs and go back from there, leads, dizzy, coil.
Easiest way to check for spark is to get a friend to crank the car, while you hold the spark plug lead, grounding the spark plug electrode on the rocker cover. If you see a spark, then there wont be anything wrong with your ignition system.
Zac

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
check spark, if you have spark, verify fuel is leaving the injectors, if you have both, come back here and we will try to narrow it down!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright guys, all four spark plugs are getting spark. They all smell like fuel and were even slightly wet from fuel. Could it be that I am getting too much fuel and this is why the engine wont start up? I am running a Walbro 255 external pump and I realize this is overkill for a NA engine, but I dont think this would matter because the FPR would restrict the amount of fuel going into cylinders, right?

I also tried McCoy's suggestion of trying to start up the engine with the MAF unplugged but with no luck.

It is clearly noticable after trying both tests that the engine sounds differnt now when I try to start it. Before today the engine would simply crank and spin and quite of make a whining sound, where as now it kind of makes a muffled stumbling sound as if its trying to start up? Is my engine flooded with so much fuel that it wont even come close to starting up?

Or is the stumbling sound the result of the MAF being plugged and unplugged a few times while trying to start it up?

-Sean

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Walbro pump with stock, unadjustable FPR might be the culprit. Walbros are known to overpower stock FPRs.

Did this problem occur *after* the Walbro install? A Nismo adjustable FPR might solve it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So how's the engine coming along? I doubt a bad MAF would cause the engine not to run. An engine needs 4 things to run fuel, air, heat (spark), and timing. if you have one of these things missing, it wont run. I had this prob with my N sr in my 240. Make sure your timing is correct. and since your plugs are wet, you know you're getting fuel. I had too much fuel in my chambers, so I had to get a long grill lighter and yeah...let's say the hair on my hands is still growing. :tsk: but after that mine ran just fine. Good luck to you.

Nissan distributors just don't go out. unless your engine has rediculous high miles.

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
So how's the engine coming along? I doubt a bad MAF would cause the engine not to run.
Actually, it is very possible... I just helped troubleshoot a 300zx that wouldn't start to a dead MAF...

Nissan distributors just don't go out. unless your engine has rediculous high miles.
Again, there is a possibility of it being the distributor... it does contain a moving part and is a part of delivering the spark

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Maybe the dist is out of phase enough to not fire the plugs at the right time?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im stumped. Im thinking maybe my injectors are stuck open or leaking or something. Although, I have already had them flow-tested and I replaced the o-rings as well.
Will the 92 SE-R injectors work with the RWD SR20DE if I buy some brand new ones? I think they are both 290cc right?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If your fuel injectors were leaking, you would smell it, trust me.

·
allmotorKA24DE
607 Posts
Im stumped. Im thinking maybe my injectors are stuck open or leaking or something. Although, I have already had them flow-tested and I replaced the o-rings as well.
Will the 92 SE-R injectors work with the RWD SR20DE if I buy some brand new ones? I think they are both 290cc right?
this sounds exacty like what my NX did, no crank, good spark, extra fuel...

turns out, my coolant temp sensor on the intake mani was bad(the ecu sensor, not the gauge sensor), and the engine thought it was runnin crazy hot and dumped in extra fuel, flooding itself. when i unplugged the bad sensor, it took a few cranks, but it cleared itself out, and then ran like a champ. it has run good ever since, the few times i have cranked it up( i myself am still trying to find someplace that has the right replacement sensor, probly jus have to calll Nissan).

moral: find your coolant temp and unplug it, and if it clears out and runs, then you found the culprit.

g/l!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
do you need a distributor? I'm pulling my DE apart. I've got a DET I'm currently Building. My sr is an s14 though. Not sure if the part numbers are still the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
this sounds exacty like what my NX did, no crank, good spark, extra fuel...

turns out, my coolant temp sensor on the intake mani was bad(the ecu sensor, not the gauge sensor), and the engine thought it was runnin crazy hot and dumped in extra fuel, flooding itself. when i unplugged the bad sensor, it took a few cranks, but it cleared itself out, and then ran like a champ. it has run good ever since, the few times i have cranked it up( i myself am still trying to find someplace that has the right replacement sensor, probly jus have to calll Nissan).

moral: find your coolant temp and unplug it, and if it clears out and runs, then you found the culprit.

g/l!!!
Isn't the coolant temp sensor the same from a KA? I believe it is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put in a brand new temp sensor awhile back as I read this could be the problem.

I do have a minor indent in the corner of the oil pan, but I dont think this is the problem because it was running fine a few months back with the dent.

Addition to my dilemma: either my starter just died on me (AGAIN!) or my battery has no power. Although, I think I may have left my key in the ignition in the ON position over night. Ill have to swap batteries sometime in the next couple days to see if this is the problem. I really hope its not the starter, changing starters in a tiny Datsun engine bay equals hell.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am also having this same problem, my car started and ran fine many times with my new setup. Then one day I went out and got flooded cylinders and good spark, just no start. I'm in the process of coolant temp sensor, reground maf, new plugs and swapping ecus. I am pretty much lost. I will post if I have any luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts