SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Importing to South Africa seems to be a bit of a problem. Can anyone get hold of the specs on the S3 cams from JWT or the cam program that goes with it? I have a programmable piggyback chip on my ECU.

Else, if not possible then contact details for JWT so I can buy specs off them...

Are they close to 264 degree with 10.5mm (0.42 inch) lift?

·
Banned
543 Posts
someone help this guy lol.wish i knew

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so the S3 cams are 260 duration and 11.3mm lift.

And you guys reckon that these will provide the best result for my SR20? It's a daily driven car (traffic and free way) so I guess the drivability is an issue...

I have headers, 2.52" exhaust and a managment chip.

What kind of improvement will I see with these cams? Expected wheel HP gain?
Expected torwque gain/loss?
How will Fuel economy be affected?

Thanks for the infor guys...

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Sabre 200 Gxi said:
Ok, so the S3 cams are 260 duration and 11.3mm lift.

And you guys reckon that these will provide the best result for my SR20? It's a daily driven car (traffic and free way) so I guess the drivability is an issue...

I have headers, 2.52" exhaust and a managment chip.

What kind of improvement will I see with these cams? Expected wheel HP gain?
Expected torwque gain/loss?
How will Fuel economy be affected?

Thanks for the infor guys...
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=111&highlight=Sport+compact+car+cam+shootout

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys.....

I have another q though........and yes, I've searched....

How much of a diff would it make if you fit the S3 spec cams without having the head flowed and ported? I don't want to open the motor just yet...?

Also, the specs on JWt website says that the S3's are 11.05mm (0.442" (x2.5 = 11.05")) lift whereas the other specs found on the forum says 11.3mm lift. Can anyone confirm?

Lastly, the idiot tuners around here have billets for my car bu only 260 duration with 10.2 lift. They reckon that these are allready lumpy at idle. Do the S3's lump a lot? Also, Will that extra 1.1mm have a huge impact on the hp?

thanks

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
Sabre 200 Gxi said:
How much of a diff would it make if you fit the S3 spec cams without having the head flowed and ported? I don't want to open the motor just yet...?
A lot. S3 is a "street" JWT grind and it was not designed for engines with internal work. No need to port it, I would actually do not bother with head porting unless I was going with a much more aggresive cam. Not thatit will not help but it will not add much to an S3 as it is.
Also, the specs on JWt website says that the S3's are 11.05mm (0.442" (x2.5 = 11.05")) lift whereas the other specs found on the forum says 11.3mm lift. Can anyone confirm?
Probably JWT has not updated the site info yet. There were S3s and some time ago the became S3HL (as in high lift) but still marketed (I think) as S3. PRobably the 11.3 is correct now.
Lastly, the idiot tuners around here have billets for my car bu only 260 duration with 10.2 lift.
Billets made by which company??? Anyway, 260/10.2 is an OK upgrade gring giving stock-like engine operation with improved performance. What you would describe as "Stage 1" cams for SR20DEs.
They reckon that these are allready lumpy at idle. Do the S3's lump a lot? Also, Will that extra 1.1mm have a huge impact on the hp?
The S3s do not lamp a lot. Some might say they lump just a tiny bit!!! :)
Teh extra 1.1.mm makes a lot of difference.

Chris

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
I would be very hesitant to buy SR20 cams from a South African tuner. Typically they cut corners. Make sure they aren't regrinds. It seems like that's what all the Honda and Toyota guys run.

For the price they will charge you, you're probably better off ordering S3's or S4's from somebody state-side. You'll also be sure to have quality. You could probably have yourself a set to your door for around R4000. Not too shabby.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys.....appreciate it.

Yes, I am aware of the regrinds that most guys use. I don't want that. So I guess the improtant difference between billets and regrinds would be the diameter of the base of the cam right?

Bennitto, how do you figure we can get cams to my door for R4000? They go for $550 * 6.5 = R3575. You reckon shipping would be about $65? If you know how to go about importing these then please give me a shout.... [email protected]

Long time since we chatted. And why are you "Now pushing thea CA"??

I told you we fixed up my old CA and it's running pretty strong now. Let me know what you need. I'm comming down to Eastern Cape soon....for a visit.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
You'd be surprised what Federal Express will do for you. I was ballparking the figure, but it goes from R6.5-7.0/$

All's I know is re-grinds **** up the geometry in the head.

I didn't realize it was you Ronnie. There's a few on this forum from South Africa. I'll pm you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts