SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a couple of posts and it seems most people use the S3 cams with turbo. My question is why mot the s4 cams. I will be going turbo very soon and i have the s4's. Sould i swap to the s3's?

------------------
Place Racing CAI,JWT S4 cams and JWT ECU with S4 program, hotshot gen3 header, greddy SP exhaust, KYB AGX's and Ground Controls, Konig Traffiks with Nitto NT555's

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
I have the same question. A friend of mine wants to swap his s3's for my s4's. I dont want to do it because I like them. Has anyone tested this on a dyno? If not I will have to test this myself. Thanks.

Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R (Pacific sun blue)

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone?????????????

------------------
Place Racing CAI,JWT S4 cams and JWT ECU with S4 program, hotshot gen3 header, greddy SP exhaust, KYB AGX's and Ground Controls, Konig Traffiks with Nitto NT555's

G

·
0 Posts
I just recently about two weeks ago bought some s3 cams I wanted the s4 but when I told them that I wanted to go turbo Jim at JWT and Chris at sr20developement told me to go with s3 because they have a lower duration than the s4 and that is a good thing if you are going to go turbo so that is why I went with the s3.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Yeah, I guess less duration somewhat translates into less overlap. You don't want overlap with turbos due to the possiblity of reversion.

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Well cant you retard the timing to get rid of the overlap. because the power that is gained from the s4's is very impressive. I have them and I want to go turbo. I dont want to change cams either. What should I do because of this?

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marksr20 I am going to talk to Jim Wolf I will let you know.

------------------
Russ Knezic

Turbo soon!
N/A is not enough

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright this is what Ben at Jim Wolf told me. If you wnat more power above 5000 use the s4's and buy the cam gears, cam gears are needed so you can get rid of the overlap. They will work with the specific setup to tell you the degrees to set each cam gear. But if you are lloking for ease of install and more power over the band use the s3's

------------------
Russ Knezic

Turbo soon!
N/A is not enough

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.
Does anyone know how much the cam gears are?

Thanks

Mark Merliss

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they are 140$ for the set

------------------
Russ Knezic

Turbo soon!
N/A is not enough

1 - 12 of 12 Posts