SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've settled to the fact I'm buying cams in the next month, I've narrowed down the field to either the S3's or S4's (price easier to deal with than the C series)

But what are the differences between the two? do the S4's have that much better numbers to risk a lopey idle? I don't plan on doing the ECU upgrade anytime soon or it would not be a question (S4's)

So S3's or S4's, please, oh please, help me make up my mind...

does anyone have some numbers???? HP/TQ? to compare these two fine products? remember that the 92s redline in like 7700RPM so I think it makes good use of these cams....(higher reving than later models.)

Help... I've trusted you guys in the past, trust you in the future...

HArp...

92NX, AEBS, UD/P, POP intake, striaght through muffla...

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I have the S4 cams, and if I were to do it over again, I think I'd get the S3 cams.

You will lose low and mid-range torque.

You will gain more hp than the S3s, but only at 6500 + rpms.

If you really want to sacrifice your low end, get some some C series cams.

I think for a car that's primarily driven on the street, the S3 cams make a lot more sense.

BTW, this isn't just SOTP experience on my car, I also had my car dynoed, and I overlaid the charts, before and after the cams (no, I don't have a scanner, sorry).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spnx:
I have the S4 cams, and if I were to do it over again, I think I'd get the S3 cams.

You will lose low and mid-range torque.

You will gain more hp than the S3s, but only at 6500 + rpms.

If you really want to sacrifice your low end, get some some C series cams.

I think for a car that's primarily driven on the street, the S3 cams make a lot more sense.

BTW, this isn't just SOTP experience on my car, I also had my car dynoed, and I overlaid the charts, before and after the cams (no, I don't have a scanner, sorry).
</font>
whe you say "You will lose low and mid-range torque." it that for the S3's or S4's?
and a first hand account is what I'm looking for...

So we have 1 for the S3's 0 for the S4's for far...

Thanks, I hope there is more coming..

Harp

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I bumped my idle speed up to 1000, and now it's less noticible. Well, you can hear it "miss" occasionally. I do have the JWT ecu which is supposed to help out the idle too.

I did lose some significant mid-range torque. I'm wondering if maybe my 1st generation Stillen header is the problem though. It might not be a good match with the S4s.

One thing's for sure, ultimately the car is WAY faster with cams than stock. Sounds way meaner too. It's almost worth it for that

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I have the JUN 264's with the 10.5mm lift. If I were to do it again, I would get the JUN 264's with the 11.5mm lift with JUN valvesprings. The S4's are nice camshafts too. My friend mark merliss had them in his old car. The cams along with the ECU make a huge difference. On the way to the shop when mark was having his cams taken out and the stockers put back in we raced. He had JWT ECU, JWT s4's, Stillen Pop, 2.5" exhaust, hotshot header, pro kit's with agx's, wires.

Me-Hotshot header, hotshot CAI, UR pulleys, 2.5" exhaust.

We went from about a 35mph roll and he took me by several cars. Later that night I put his JWT ECU in my car and it was a totally differnt car. Added the cams a few monthes later with my own JWT ECU and the car is much much quicker.

JWT is a great company but I think you should consider all the options out there before making a decision on which cams you want to invest in.

Good luck.

Cams+ECU=15whp and a big toothy grin that doesn't go away for at least a week.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
Registered
756 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 97 Black SER:
We went from about a 35mph roll and he took me by several cars. Later that night I put his JWT ECU in my car and it was a totally differnt car. Added the cams a few monthes later with my own JWT ECU and the car is much much quicker.
</font>
So do you think your car is quicker than his car now with your jun sticks?

·
Registered
513 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteSER:
So do you think your car is quicker than his car now with your jun sticks?</font>
Well, I can say that Mark thinks Ryan's car is faster than his was. Ryan does have pulleys and mark's didn't. But that is the only difference. I believe Mark said something like, it just pulls so much harder than his did!

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I honestly think mine is faster. Mark agrees as does Jay Hass. Can't wait to dyno....

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
Registered
513 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MarkSR20:
Me THREE!!!! oh wait a minute. I am MARK.</font>
hahahaha...that's great. I am pretty excited to see they dyno of the JUN's and Toda's. That should really give us a good look at what is out there.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
1998ccs of fury
5,489 Posts
I have the S3s and JWT ECU, but the ECU doesn't have the cam program on it. Make sure you get the cam program or the idle will suck!

·
Registered
487 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mciin1:
Okay, I've settled to the fact I'm buying cams in the next month, I've narrowed down the field to either the S3's or S4's (price easier to deal with than the C series)

But what are the differences between the two? do the S4's have that much better numbers to risk a lopey idle? I don't plan on doing the ECU upgrade anytime soon or it would not be a question (S4's)

So S3's or S4's, please, oh please, help me make up my mind...

does anyone have some numbers???? HP/TQ? to compare these two fine products? remember that the 92s redline in like 7700RPM so I think it makes good use of these cams....(higher reving than later models.)

Help... I've trusted you guys in the past, trust you in the future...

HArp...

92NX, AEBS, UD/P, POP intake, striaght through muffla...
</font>
I have a very similar setup to you with the S4 cams and no ecu upgrade. I've barely noticed the drop in low rpm power. The car is kick ass though once you get into the high revs. The one thing you'll notice is the lumpy idle. There's no hiding the S4's! I've heard the idle from a few S3 epuipped classics and its very smooth compared to the S4's. But then again, none of these classics have beat my 1/4 mile et's

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"If I were to do it again, I would get the JUN 264's with the 11.5mm "

OKay, so now I have a three way tie,

S3=1
S4=1
JUN 264/11.5mm lift=1

More votes, or at least a tie breaker...

Thanks for all the response... leaning towards the S3 to have minimal impact on a daily driven car.

Harp

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
I'll put my vote for the S4's. I've had both S3's and S4's in similarly modded cars, I like the S4's a little better.

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

1 - 20 of 34 Posts