SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago i installed my JWT S3's and they didnt seem to make much of a difference, there is a little difference and the biggest was that i do feel it pull better towards redline and not drop off in power in the last 500rpms. but as far as time wise. it only took .1 of my 0-60 and i went to the track but i wasnt doing very good traction wise and my i had other issues too. but i figure the way it is now it would take a tenth of my 1/4 too and maybee 1mph. but i was told it was going to be because of my really oldschool header i have on there. So i went ahead and ordered an obx header. im going to do that work to the flanges to make it alot smoother flow. but yeah i know thats going to help alot especially with the cams. im hoping to hit at least 14.0 maybe better. but i know for a fact that this header i have on here is what is restricting it. its not that good of a design and the primaries are small. The way it is now i could run a [email protected] but i was expecting the cams to make a big difference but i wasnt sure because of the header. It did make my exhaust tone alot deeper and better sounding and a nice little lumpy idle which i love and everyone says sounds really mean. but we will see performance wise when i get the new header on. What is everyones imput on it.

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
Better header, bigger exhaust and I dont think the cams will like that 17* timing. That's what I've read tho. Other than that...nice times.

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
I went out to the track this last Wednesday. (First time out with my S3's) Seat of the pants seemed to be improved but actual mph times at the track did not. I plan on going out again to make sure that its not something else.

·
Banned
543 Posts
Cantdoadonut Put His S4s In And Went To The Track And It Dident Help One Bit!we Checked Cam Timing And Its Fine.called Jwt And They Couldent Tell Us Anything..

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
14.4 is damn good for your mods, i wouldnt be disappointed in the least. Although I see what you mean about lack of improvement

·
Registered
850 Posts
My advice is first find out where the rev limiter is on your tach. In my car the tach is 500rpm fast, so a redline shift would only be 7000rpm. For me the S3s were good for 1 tenth and 1mph. However I only had a CAI, udp, 2.25in B pipe with stock muffler. At the dyno day last year my car with said mods made less than other high ports with I/H/E.

·
Red line chaser
2,040 Posts
Are you getting more slippage in the clutch on upshifts?
I'd think the S3's would cause more slippage to occur.
And the header will help the engine breathe much better. Also you may want to adjust your shift points. When my S4's went in, if I upshifted at the same points as the stock cams, it didn't feel like a big difference. But once I started shifting higher up, it didn't feel significantly faster, but I could see the difference in mph.

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, for one yeah i think the the header i have on there is crap and thats the reason why its not making a difference. oh and no i changed my sig and forgot to remove the slipping clutch and worn tires part. that was with my stock clutch in. my stage two grabs good. and i have the falken azenis on there now. but yeah i figured that the cams would at least improve my time by at least 3-4 tenths. i believe it because of my header now that they didnt. well see. i know the cams helped slightly and makes the exhaust sound really mean and gives it that nice idle. but ive had them in for almost two weeks and driven like 6-700 miles. Neways i think with the cams and my header now i would be able to pull a 14.4 or so @97mph. the time in my sig was without cams, stock clutch and crappy tires. ill be going this friday to the track and well see how things go before my obx header is installed. but im hoping to get down to at least 14.0 or so. i think that might be possible with the newer header especially with the cams. well see and ill definetly let you guys know how it went

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh and my tach is right on the money. rev limiter 7650 or so. i shift right as it hits redline. with the new cams it does pull better all the way to redline instead of power dropping off. but its just not making as much more power as i thought it would. A 13whp difference is very noticable and well im just not feeling it and i know its because of the header. my exhaust is decent size. and i have a high flow cat also. so i dont think thats the problem

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
What about gas mileage? Have you noticed a +/- change in it? :confused:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Unless you have a good amount of weight reduction that 14.5 without the cams and clutch upgrade is really fast. Maybe you have an Autech JDM motor (or what ever it is called). Its a tuned version of the sr20 and puts out about 160 at the fly wheel, this motor comes with upgraded cams, that might account for not feeling much of a difference with the S3s.

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks, dont think i have that motor. its just the basic jdm motor. ive read up on that but yeah i dont have anything special. i know its really fast but you should see how good i drive my car. still working on launches, i can do fine on the streets when practicing but when it comes to the track somtimes the conditions are different and it makes it difficult. You should see how fast i can shift. i really dont loose any time on my shifts. ive had several people that ive played around with first to second gear dash and ive had a couple people amazed at how fast i can shift. good timing and stuff like that. i cant wait to get my new header on there and see. oh and the cams i know were just the basic, the lobes on my s3's where huge compared to the stock ones. the lift was about a quarter inch higher or so on the s3's. so i know i dont have any special motor. but it is just a really really low milage jdm. the engine was lucky if it had even 20k miles when i got it. there wasnt a scuff on the cams and not one carbon spot or buildup grime anywhere. the underside of the valvecover was like new. shiny and not one burn mark. ive only put another 17k miles on it since the swap and ive just been tuning it and tinkering with it and beating on it and it just seems to run harder and harder. i do want to get it dynod sometime after my new header is in. i know that why my cams didnt make the difference that i thought they would make, the thing i have on there now is like over 6years old. so i guess well see. thanks for all the comments guys

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh and the only weight reduction i have is no spare or jack in the trunk, and no a/c and bracket.

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh and gas milage is about the same maybe a little worse.

·
Lock it up!!!!
1,074 Posts
S3s are good cams, but they are better for turbo cars. Most people I have talked to go with S4s for all motor. When Mark and Me raced (all motor) I have S3s and he has S4s he pulled me at about 5grand. Thats my two cents.. Good times anyways

1 - 20 of 41 Posts