SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed the s4 cams in my car, I have put about 80 miles on the car driving like a granny due to break in period. The idle is realy bad, I know that i have to get the ecu to correct this problem,but not only is the idle bad but the car basicly runs like ****, the car hesitates around 3500 to 4500 rpm. Anybody have similar experiences with the s4's? The car seems alot slower too me , maybe the timing is fuked up. Need info from those who have the s4's

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
It might be your cap and rotor. My cap and rotor are shot and my car now hesitates a little bit down low.

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Sup Abel

Sup dude. It's Luis,

Sounds like your cam timing might be off. Maybe you can bring your car up to my house this coming weekend? There will be a buncha fellas up here helping us install Antonios DET in Pitt. I'm sure we can spare some time to take a look at your car.

Late

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Nope I bet it's none of that.

Wait about 500 miles and then see how it feels. I've had both a 91 SE-R and my 98 with S3/S4 cams, both cars took about 500 miles to make me feel the power.

·
Registered
348 Posts
ALoha Abel

Whats up dude, (its me Ryan)

I guess we are going to have to race now.. as soon as i get me car back from Larry..

ALoha Ryan

·
Registered
92 Posts
hmmmm

I just got the S3's and they ran funny, but not per miles, but per cold starts. By this I mean the ECU needs to adjust to the new air/fuel flow and whatnot.
From what I understand the ECU is "self learning" and should correct alot of your issues on it's own. mine ran weird a few days, but it seems that every morning I drove it it did a little better.

Give it a week or more, if it persists, then seek help, dist. cap, cam timing, etc.

My 1.5 cents

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Yeah.. my car ran like **** too with the S3s the first few days. This was with the stock ecu. Then after a few hundred miles the car seemed to have woken up. But it would still randomly die on me at stops etc. But with the S3 ecu it's totally different, the target idle is raised and I havent had the car die out on me yet. But its still kinda cranky when it's cold in the morning.

·
GUPAMF 4 Life
1,240 Posts
Surprisingly enough, my car has only died on me ONCE with the C3 cams. And that was when it was very cold WITH the JWT ECU. Go figure. Other than that, th idle has been rock steady.

Terrin
92 SE-R

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
My car has yet to die with my JUN cams and the S3 idle program. The car definately felt faster after driving around a bit and even a few days later. Jay Hass and I took the car out for a test rip after the install and I got on it and was like ok, this is ok. Went back to his house to drop him off. Left a few minutes later, and got on it and was like holy ****. Give the ECU a few days then check your dist. cap and cam timing like the others said.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wsup guys

wsup luis, ryan

i havent read the tread till today, im drivin the commuter for now my se-r has been in the garage for like 3 days im like scared to drive it cause it dies like at every intersection. I'm going give jwt a call about the ecu. From talkin to larry i can see that its probably the timing, i probably skipped a chain link or somthing like that.thanks for the info ill see bout saturday luis

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
yah i tried adjusting the timing by advancing and retarding on his car. Also attempted to raise his idle . There was also a strange whinning sound coming from the top-end at idle. Almost sound like a supercharger sound. His car responded negitively to all attempt. I checked his tps , timing ,iac etc. Im pretty confident his cam timing is off . The chain prolly jumped on the crank since he tied the cam sprockets. his car was running fine before the install.
Anyway we shall see after its broken in. His car is truly running like "Crap".

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Re: wsup guys

abemack said:
wsup luis, ryan

i havent read the tread till today, im drivin the commuter for now my se-r has been in the garage for like 3 days im like scared to drive it cause it dies like at every intersection. I'm going give jwt a call about the ecu. From talkin to larry i can see that its probably the timing, i probably skipped a chain link or somthing like that.thanks for the info ill see bout saturday luis
It is not the stock ECU that is causing the problem. First, chekc your ignition timing and set it at around 14-15 degrees. If that does not work, then you have skipped a tooth on the cam sprockets during the install. These are the only two problems that I can think of.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
There was also a strange whinning sound coming from the top-end at idle. Almost sound like a supercharger sound.
This sound can be caused if you didn't seat the cam sprocket keyhole on the cam key correctly.

Make sure you are using 91+ Octane and your ignition timing isn't too low.

·
Registered
110 Posts
the best thing to do is to take the valve cover and set the crank at top dead center, untill the timing marks on the cam gears are on top. the intake cam should be at about 11' o' clock, and the exaust should be at about 1 o'clock. when i was changing mine i the chain sliped off the exust gear. but really as long as there is atleat 1 gear tied then you should be ok. if you skipped one tooth i will run like crap, but if you skipped 2 than you are dealing with bent valves, remember this is an interfearence motor!

good luck
chris

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it is runnig like crap

tomorrow is fix it day, i will try to see what the problem is thanks to your info results to be posted tomorow night thanks for the info

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey man,

With the engine at TDC, the intake cam keyway should be facing at 10 o'clock and the exhaust keyway at 12 o'clock. You should then count a total of 20 rollers between the dots on the intake and exhaust cams.

Good luck,

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
took out the s4's

The whining sound was due to the exhaust cam sprocket mounted incorrectly, when i took of the cam i noticed the face were the sprocket sits up against was uneven and sloped to one side.I couldn't beleive it, so Will be calling jwt up to see whats up with that they better send me a new one or something

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Doh! Sorry to hear about that man...

If the sprocket is still in ok condition, methinks you could still use it for a while and pop in a new one. And check the cam timing like Jay W. said! That sprocket was probably wiggling all crazy at 7500rpms! Scary! :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts