SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
a real egg-head
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions:

what is the break-in procedure for new cams?

for any of you who know my mods... running 14.7 on street tires... what can i expect to run with s4's?

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Ummm, your gonna haul ass, cant wait to see numbers this year!

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
Drive around for 100 miles taking it easy then change oil. Then drive for another 300 or so and change oil again.

then take it past 4k for the first time and feel the love
O

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
nx2000racer said:
2 questions:

for any of you who know my mods... running 14.7 on street tires... what can i expect to run with s4's?
Immediatly on starting, take your engine up to 3000 rpm. Blip the throttle between 3000-4000 rpm for about 15-20 minutes. This is critcal the rpm gets the load off the lobe tips and helps burnish the lobes faster. The worst you can do is let the engine idle.

After this your cam is broken in and you can do whatever. You might want to change the oil after a few days of driving.

Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
what would you guys recommend for a freshly rebuilt sr20 w/s4 cams. i would think the immediate 3000 rpm would be bad for everything else. thanks, matt

·
Registered
229 Posts
how much are the S4 cams and how much improvement on performance can i gain?

·
Registered
229 Posts
thats a big improvement!!!
how much do those run for and are they easy to install???

·
Red line chaser
2,040 Posts
nx2000racer said:
2 questions:

I was pretty anal with mine. I took it easy for 250 miles, changed the oil. Drove for another easy 250, changed the oil. Drove it for 500 more easy miles, realized how hard it is to stay below 4 grand, changed the oil. Took it out, dropped the hammer and got a nice grin. JWT only recommends 100 miles BTW.

I'd predict you'd probably could see a 14.3 or 14.4 with about 4 more mph.
Just wait til the first time you cross 5k and don't feel a drop off in power at the high end. That makes it all worth it. ;)

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
are the s3's the same way as the s4's about making power all the way to redline and not dropping off. just not quite as much top end power as s4's. oh and what are the specs for stock sr20 cams. lift and duration. just curious. i cant wait to get mine in.

·
old school
504 Posts
I predict you'll run a 13.99 @ 97 on slicks!

I just want to see an all motor bolt on only sr20 run 13's without figgy style weight reduction. I know these cars can do it and thats impressive considering where they are in stock form.

·
a real egg-head
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ill do it... the front half of my car is still normal and its gona stay that way... time will tell!

chris13bsr20 said:
I predict you'll run a 13.99 @ 97 on slicks!

I just want to see an all motor bolt on only sr20 run 13's without figgy style weight reduction. I know these cars can do it and thats impressive considering where they are in stock form.

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
on the dyno i made peak power at 6800rpm and only lost 4whp by fuel cut off at 7500rpm. I am going to dyno again with a 3in exhaust and see.

O

·
old school
504 Posts
nx2000racer said:
ill do it... the front half of my car is still normal and its gona stay that way... time will tell!
I'm going to do it too when the S5's come out... may be a bold statement but I don't think its that unreasonable. I know some guys are trapping at 96-97 with the bolt ons and weight reduction without cams. 97 is enough to run a 13 on a good run starting with a 1.8-1.9 60 foot time. I ran [email protected] with one of my previous cars with a 60' of exactly 1.80. The car was AWD but thats beside the point.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts