SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. We (Ray Kawski and I) FINALLY got the JWT s4 cams in my '98 SE today. They feel great and although I haven't gotten "on it" much to allow a nice 100 mile break-in, I can definately feel alot of power there.

One problem though. The idle SUCKS.

The car is consistently idling at like 600rpms. With the cams and the ES mounts that I have also, it makes the car shake like hell.

My problem is, I can't seem to adjust the idle higher. I didn't exactly follow the method on SE-R.net though.

I ran the car to warm temps, and disconnected the TPS. The idle DOES shoot up like to about 1100-1200 rpms once I disconnect the TPS, but the second I re-connect it it drops down to 600rpms again.

I can turn the idle screw up or down with the TPS connected or even disconnected and the idle will not change. It will stay the same. Any suggestions?

I don't know if this matters, but my timing is still @ 19 degrees, and I know that 15 degrees is recommended with the cams. Any help would be GREAT. Thanks.

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, Timing @ 19, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/ Pirelli P700Z's

15.454 @ 88mph at Englishtown, NJ - stock cams

·
Registered
858 Posts
when you disconect the tps and the idle shoots up to 1200 rpm, turn the idle screw toward the right (clockwise)to decrease idle. then loosen tps once connected and rotate it to desired rpm. let me know if this helps.
also check timing again after you're done!

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
Registered
858 Posts
also the ecu has to get used to the new cams about one day of driving if it dosen't get better, then do as above.

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
You will need the JWT/ecu upgrade and maintain your timing at 15 degrees. But also understand the S4 cam has a ruff idle that will smooth out some as they break-in. I have read(June 00 issue of SCC)that S4 deliver more HP but without the ecu will tend to stall. Hey GOOD LUCK! let me know how things turn out.

Nigel
95G20t/AUTO
Stillen header/intake JWT/ecu/S3cams Greddy/MX exhaust.

[This message has been edited by paradyme (edited 02-05-2001).]

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct....well I've put 70 miles on the cams. Long enough to expect the idle to be how it is? Or is there more break in?

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, Timing @ 19, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/ Pirelli P700Z's

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I think the nissan ecu needs something like 50 starts to learn new mods on your car, and also will learn how you drive your car. mine was kind rough at first, and it smoothed out. I cant even tell the cams are there, but I only have the s3s

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
Mine are like Brians and I can hardly notice the lope, The S3cams really smooth out. I still think the JWT ecu makes an overall difference in the performance and speed. My car feels like a rocket above 4000rpm. I've already dusted a 88 accord, 96/97 neon, and a 91 acura integra. My car with the Greddy exhaust has a SE-rious growl that attracts attention, unwanted in each case mentioned. Also try adjusting your throttle cable, This was also done while my cams were being intalled.
Nigel
95G20t/AUTO

[This message has been edited by paradyme (edited 02-05-2001).]

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Throttle cable was done after the cams

Forgot to mention that.

Here's my problem:

Good news: the idle feels fine when I hold the revs steady at like 900+rpms with the s4's.

Bad news: it won't stay there! Without my help it sits at 600rpms and for some reason it won't go up even when I turn the idle adjusting screw. I don't get it. ?? Help

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redman007:
then loosen tps once connected and rotate it to desired rpm. let me know if this helps.
also check timing again after you're done!
</font>
When you say "loosen"...do you mean disconnect?

The problem is the idle seems to stay the same while turning the screw, even if the TPS is connected OR disconnected. ??

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)

·
Registered
858 Posts
no. when after the idle is done, and dosen't help , you put the tps connected and then loosen the screws to the tps and play with it till it gets to desired idle but know this , if it wont idle right turning the screw with the tps disconnected , then some thing is wrong with your ficd solenoid which is connected to the aac valve also . but aac valve is only for cold starts letting the engine idle at 1500 rpm and lowering as the engine gets warm but the ficd solenoid is the (idle adjustment screw joint)

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, one question, could this have anything to do with my timing at 19?

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)

·
Registered
858 Posts
well don't know much about the 98's but my nismo cams learned quick at about one good day of driving! listen to brian, he should know about the later sr20de's. sorry to put you on the spot there Brian bro! hehe

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

[This message has been edited by redman007 (edited 02-06-2001).]

·
Registered
858 Posts
man I don't know who's spreadin the bull but JW ecu or not haven't seen a problem with or wthout Jw ECU. However, I have felt a difference in performance after the cams have been put in. so any "late sr20de will benefit from the JW cams but more so if they have the JW ecu" 3:16 redman007

------------------

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Jordan,
Is your cold start idle high (1200+) like it is supposed to be?

You can remove the passenger side of the intake manifold and inspect the idle air control crap. Pay particualr attention to the idle screw; remove it and inspect the passage; check for blockage.

Does your warm idle rpm increase if you turn on the air conditioner?

Once you check these things we can 'reset your base idle'. This allows the ecu to re-learn what tps voltage means to be in idle mode.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jacen,

My cold idle is about 1300-1400rpms for a few minutes.

I am unsure about the A/C idle increase but I will check later today.

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
There's no ECU for his car though. That's part of the problem. I'd retard that timing a little and keep messing with your tc.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header(not installed), Hotshot CAI (waiting for patiently)

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
I wonder whats the big differnce in engines,
between 96 and 98 SE-R. They're both low port.Teal97 your point is valid, and Storm, looks like you have a major problem if reducing your idle to 15 degrees does not work. I hope redman007 suggestion of a learned stock ecu works in this case. GOOD LUCK!

Nigel
95G20t/AUTO

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
there is more emissions stuff on the 98s. the s4s would probably make more power around 13 degrees also. the jwt cams do not need anything above 15 degrees. it may feel faster, but you are loosing power b/c of too much preignition.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
Hey Redmann, No BULL! What I mentioned about the JWT ecu and the S4cams is backed by Jim Wolf and the June 00 issue of SCC. You can run them (S4CAMS), But do expect a rougher idle.Jim Wolf also does not recommend the high timing settings. Hey we need not debate this issue give Jim a call. He has always spoken to me when I needed clarity. You can do the same. The S3 is a more street able cam with less rough idle. The S4 runs better with the JWT ecu upgrade.

Nigel
95G20t

·
Registered
858 Posts
tooshay paradyme you're right!

------------------

1 - 20 of 44 Posts