SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: This is also posted on the SoCAL SERCA list.

In short...our cars suck!

Here's what I did with the following mods: JDM motor, HS Header, PR
CAI, Greddy SP Exhaust, UR Pullies, JWT S3 cams, JWT ECU w/ S3/S4 cam
program, and JWT 50 shot NOS. Also have GC/AGX 300/200, ES MM, ES
front control arms bushings and the SMC S/S.

I was able to get a lot of runs in since I got to the quarter finals
in bracket racing, but launching with the NOS and street tires (195-
55-14 SP8000s, 21 psi) is pretty damn tricky, let me tell ya.

Best NOS run:
RT .730
60' 2.178
1/8 9.196
MPH 77.362
1/4 14.287
MPH 95.692

Best NA run:
RT .874
60' 2.347
1/8 9.763
MPH 73.019
1/4 15.177
MPH 90.432

Don't those trap speeds seem kind of low for my mods? I figured I
would at least be near 100mph traps with the nitrous, but I'm
thinking my exhaust might be choking my car up top since the Greddy
is only 50mm I.D. (slightly less than 2")...good for NA purposes, but
maybe not so good with the nitrous. Any comments? But, even NA, I
could only must a 90 mph trap speed...which should be around 93
comparing to other times I've seen with similar mods. So, I don't
know what's going on since all standard tune up stuff is fairly new.
Timing dead nuts on at 15* too.

Terrin's car is a beastly-sounding car with those C3's. At idle,
people would walk by and literally stare at his stock looking Sentra
with really confused faces. Hilarious! I'll let him comment on his
times, but I'll only disclose that he wanted to kick his car.
He
did win the bracket races though and got a cool trophy!

Luis is the only one I know of to get fast times at this
track...maybe I really should let him drive my car.

Ok, this has gotten long enough...sorry!

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

[This message has been edited by AntonioG (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
782 Posts
My best I ever ran with I/H/E & JWT 50 shot was a 13.7 @ 97 mph. The trap seems right , especially on street tires!

------------------
http://members8.clubphoto.com/louis419830/439477/guest.phtml

Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
349.6 hp & 301.9 ft/lb @ 19 psi, 12.0 @ 118.77, Bluebird SR20DET, T3/T04E, Deltagate Wastegate, FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, Autometer Shift Light, Fiber Images Carbon Fiber Hood, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Yokohama 205/40/ZR17 Tires (Street), 13x7.5 White Lenso VPD's w/ Mickey Thompson 24.5x8x13 Slicks(Drag)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well, I showed up too to see what my little NX could do. I didn't have time to prep the car at all, this includes running though a carwash. I had the dirtiest car out there I think..

Anyway, I ran a [email protected]!! w00t!

I'm not sure if draggin is my thing. It was cool to check out the scene though and see some nice sr20 cars. We met up before and caravaned there, Ron A. showed up with his turbo b14, the one Jay H. built. VERY nice car, and I'm glad I got to see it, never thought I would when it was back east.

So the NX goes in the garage for a round of parts installs and a nice tune-up. It'll come out for the winter autocross "slush series"

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Antonio;

Welcome to the world of nitrous tuning. We took my SE-R from 14.5s to 14.10, all with tuning: Spark plugs, gaps, timing, etc.

It's in there, you just have to go and get it.

Your 2.17 60-foot time and 9.19 1/8th tell me that 14-flat is in your car.

Yes, launching is the KEY to nitrous use. It is an art. I use drag radials (I know...yours were stolen i think), and launch at 5,200-5,500 rpm.

Seeing as how you can't control when the nitrous hits via throttle switch (like I can), you have to concentrate on the launch and the clutch. It's not just a drop-it-and-go affair. More of a modulate-and-go thing.

You'll get it. The times are in there. Just play with your plugs (type) and gaps (start at .030 and move up by .002 every run). Your plugs will tell you A LOT after every run. Look for light brown specks, which means detonation. You may not even hear it, but it's there.

It's in there, man. I'm telling you.......

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AntonioG:
Here's what I did with the following mods: JDM motor, HS Header, PR
CAI, Greddy SP Exhaust, UR Pullies, JWT S3 cams, JWT ECU w/ S3/S4 cam
program, and JWT 50 shot NOS. Also have GC/AGX 300/200, ES MM, ES
front control arms bushings and the SMC S/S.

Best NOS run:
RT .730
60' 2.178
1/8 9.196
MPH 77.362
1/4 14.287
MPH 95.692

Best NA run:
RT .874
60' 2.347
1/8 9.763
MPH 73.019
1/4 15.177
MPH 90.432

</font>
Something aint right.

I pulled your nitrous trap with the same mods NA.

My 50shot took me to a best of 104mph (Okay 103.98) and best ET on street tires of 13.6 consistently and 13.1 with slicks.

Average trap for my 50shot was 102-103mph.

What was the track elevation?

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sacramento's track is really good. One of the best in CA. Elevation isn't sky high and is actually pretty close to sea level I hear. It was hot when the sun was out (like high 80s/low 90s) but cooled down nicely when the sun set.

I'm also running NGK copper plugs gapped at .030. Plugs look perfect.

I'll have to get a 2.5" exhaust though and see if that makes a difference in my trap speeds. That, another thorough tune-up and playing with plugs gaps hopefully will improve my times.

Thanks for the tips fellas!

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
[email protected] on JWT 50 shot NOS
Bay Area, CA

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Don't those trap speeds seem kind of low for my mods?</font>
Must have been very warm and humid that day/night. I mean no disrespect, but on a typically coolish April NC evening(~65 F), I pulled your N/A times and speed with only headers, POP, and underdrive pulleys. Plus I lugged around a 100 lb roll cage. Like I said, no disrespect at all, just curious as to the weather conditions that night.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
on a typically coolish April NC evening(~65 F), I pulled your N/A times and speed with only headers, POP, and underdrive pulleys. Plus I lugged around a 100 lb roll cage

</font>
Yeah, I know that's possible. On my old engine, I pulled a [email protected] w/ headers, CAI, and exhaust only. So, I know my motor is down on power somehow. I just gotta figure out what the heck is causing it.

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
[email protected] on JWT 50 shot NOS
Bay Area, CA

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">So, I know my motor is down on power somehow.</font>
That's what I'd conclude. I'd expect mid 14s and ~95mph with all those mods and no nitrous.

In fact, I wonder if nitrous hasn't made your engine weak by accelerated aging. Just a thought. Might do a compression and leak down test...

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I figured out what the problem is.

I have the UR pullies and for some reason got confused on the timing marks. I thought they were 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25. A search in the archives reveals the marks are actually -5, 0, 5, 10, 15, 20. So I was retarded 5 degrees!

Using the Russell McMullan procedure for adjusting the timing, the car revs better. I'll take it back to the track after I get a couple more issues resolved with the car.

Just figured you guys would like to know this..

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
a slow [email protected] on JWT 50 shot
Bay Area, CA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts