SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
juss as the title says......have heard different stories when it comes to tuning.......some say go safc. other say use jim wolfe ecu.....btw i got gti-r in my 96 se-r......was wanting to turn the boost up to 14lbs and i need to get my car tuned badly.....lil help please

·
Sportbike fevah
1,003 Posts
I'd also throw this into the mix:

The JWT is pre-tuned. Massive amounts of
dyno time has gone into every ECU JWT sells.

The SAFC can only properly be tuned on a dyno,
shooting for numbers based on other people's trial
and error on their own cars is basically shooting in
the dark, IMHO.

There is a third and 4th option that sounds kind
of promising. Similiar to the S-AFC, there is the
grassroots movement megasquirt opensource
project. You buy a kit, assemble it with some
amount of electronics soldering experience, and
run it with a base map to tune from. I'd consider
that to be one of the most difficult ways.

Then, there's going the Greddy way, buying an
e-manage and the appropriate map sensor, wiring
kit(s), and using a base map from a similiarly built
car and going to a dyno, spending a considerable
amount of money, time, and energy getting it
dialed in. Or, you could buy a wideband o2 and
maybe EGT gauge and try to get it dialed in
yourself.

It's easier to do on a chassis dyno, IMHO.

By the time you spend the money on an e-manage
setup, and the money on some dyno time, you may
or may not get the thing running as good as a JWT
ECU would. The nice thing is that if you order up
a JWT, and tell them exactly what MAF you have,
exactly what motor, injectors, and whatever other
variables they account for, like cams, the like, they
will send you an ECU programmed for good, solid
performance with out risking things like detonation.

As far as 'plug and play' goes, nothing beats JWT.

For the money, I'd probably go with the plug and
play. I doubt I want to travel for a couple hundred
miles to find a dyno shop that has a clue what they
are doing, and probably have to go back a few times
for 'adjustment' afterwards. JWT's already spent all
that time, on a lot of different configurations.

There, my $.02 goes a long-winded way, doesn't it?

;)

Peter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks a lot guys.....i kinda figured jim wolfe would be the answer to this one but wanted to get other sr20 owners opinions......guess i will be calling up jim wolfe in a few weeks when i get my tax returns

·
Registered
124 Posts
From what I've heard, cause I have a high port engine (02 G20) I'm unable to use a JWT and my only options are the SAFC or emanage. Can anyone confirm this?

·
WWJD
2,092 Posts
I have JWT and I think its the best,I have no problems with it at all.

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
If you did a seach you would have walked away knowning that the JWT ecu's have a broad program on them. Lets call them Stage 1 and Stage 2. If you buy a Stage 1 ecu you have the same program as 50 other people with the same ECU. Get my Point? The grass root movement to tune your own ecu has been there for Many Many years. They sell eprom burners and programs in japan so that anyone could do it. The AFC can't control timming and the Emange can do both timming and fuel+bigger injectors and MAF. The Reason why you would use the Map sensor on the Emange is not to get rid of the MAF but help tunning the car when your maf is maxed out. Plug and Play? Give me a Apexi Power FC Hands down the best Plug and Play ecu to date. It's not a piggy back option like the AFC,Emange and JWT. It's a full standalone that you put in and have total control over your car. I heard AEM is comming out with the SR20 Version of it's EMS so thats another plug in play system thats even better than the PFC.

·
Banned
1,252 Posts
i saw emanage because there are alot of guys working on maps for sr20's that are willing to share them with us for free it beats the 6-8 week downtime from jwt when you want to change injectors or maf or 3-4 bar ect.

·
Just different!
189 Posts
Yellow4g63 said:
I heard AEM is comming out with the SR20 Version of it's EMS so thats another plug in play system thats even better than the PFC.
Have you talked to them directly??? If so
When does AEM plans to offer the SR20 Version and for what cars (B13, B14, etc)??? Is it the Wofl3d EMS or other model of computer?
I am interested
Thanks

·
Audio Nut
283 Posts
So, what would everyone's opinion be on a JWT ecu with the standard program for a stock U12 BB DET and USDM o2, MAF, TPS, and then adding an e-manage into the mix? To me this seems like an excellent option if you are needing to fine tune, or upgrade things like injectors, or cams maybe, upping boost, etc... but don't want to have a couple months of downtime for JWT to re-program your ecu...

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Yellow4g63 said:
The grass root movement to tune your own ecu has been there for Many Many years. They sell eprom burners and programs in japan so that anyone could do it.

Actually, what Peter was talking about has just been going on here recently. Have you looked in the group buy section? He has made his own board that has a serial connection that interfaces with the ECU through the cousult port.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
quick108 said:
I belive the AEM unit is now avalible for sale.

AFC's have several disadvantages. When you trim fuel you are actualy moving around in the timing map as well. Triming for big injectors means that your timing will be considerably off. Too much trim, like if you are trying to get bigger than about 440cc injectors to work and the ECU goes into limp mode. You also fight the ECU's self learning loop at part throttle if you go to far.

If you have dyno access and a wideband A/F meter, they can be useful as a light tuning tool.

Mike

·
fabricator
841 Posts
The AEM is not available for sale yet. The only vehicle it is currently running on is a 93 ka24. The same box should work for most 4 cylinder obd1 cars. This includes the b13, p10, altima, 240, etc. I have been in contact with one of the engineers and may supply them with a stock se-r as well as some of the common fuel injectors. They will have programs for all the applicable cars at some point. Don't expect a release or even a release date for at least a few months. But do know that an AEM computer IS coming. I'd expect retail to be around what the other models go for - 1500-1900 dollars.

andris

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
But I like this list right here:

P/N: 30-1600(U)
1989-1994 Nissan 240SX
1991-1994 Nissan Sentra
1991-1993 Nissan NX
1993-1994 Nissan Altima
1991-1993 Infiniti G20

That looks really promising!

brent

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
andris said:
The AEM is not available for sale yet. The only vehicle it is currently running on is a 93 ka24. The same box should work for most 4 cylinder obd1 cars. This includes the b13, p10, altima, 240, etc. I have been in contact with one of the engineers and may supply them with a stock se-r as well as some of the common fuel injectors. They will have programs for all the applicable cars at some point. Don't expect a release or even a release date for at least a few months. But do know that an AEM computer IS coming. I'd expect retail to be around what the other models go for - 1500-1900 dollars.

andris
I spoke to the VP of engineering and he said it was avalible for the SE-R. He wanted me to try one.

Mike

·
Registered
803 Posts
AEM Powa yo....I get to be a riceboy and vent my bov to the air...ahhh....map based systems....

·
WWJD
2,092 Posts
Cjburn said:
AEM Powa yo....I get to be a riceboy and vent my bov to the air...ahhh....map based systems....
I have JWT and can do tha same thing with no problem

1 - 20 of 23 Posts