SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting 17s on my car b/c I have them sitting in my garage and was just curious, what is the farthest I can lower it and still be semi-comfortable and exactly how do you measure how far the drop is?

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Any more than 1 inch drop will put you very close to hitting the bump stops, which isn't good. Our cars have very little suspension travel.

You measure the drop by measuring the middle of the fender lip before you put on the new springs and struts, and then measuring afterward.

·
"Pimping aint Easy"
517 Posts
ok the b13 bump stop deal? i have a 89 sentra along with my 93 SER, now my 89 sentra has sprint low street springs which give the car a nice 2" drop, the b12's have the same suspension set up as the b13's but what your telling me is they have bump stops, i didnt run into this problem with the 89 but the SER seems to have it while dropping it 2" with coil overs, both cars have kyb gr2's around. so is there anything i can do about this other than being stuck with a 1" drop. ?

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Two inches of drop is about the limit before you start wearing out CV joints on our cars, as Marty at Raxles told me. Even if you aren't interested in performance, you have to keep the drop reasonable for reliability.

If you're going for style, do whatever. Personally, I think a set of 17's would be so big as to visually cancel out whatever fender gap was left for most people looking at your car. You wouldn't have to slam the car, anyway.

Shortened perch struts could let you get a little lower without vice, but it seems wasteful to pair nice struts with inexpensive slammer springs. Your call.

For performance on our cars, you'll want to retain suspension travel, shod the car with sticky tires on lightweight wheels, and get roll under control.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Putting 17's on my car & dropping it 2 inches was the first mod I did. My 1st 2 sets of springs were pretty bouncy. I then went with another set of springs (Eibach) & my car rides, performs fine as a daily driver & @ the track. You do lose fender gap, but not to the point where you will not be able to stick your hand above your tire. You should have enough clearance where you will not bottom out & have a comfortable ride. Just be careful about what springs, shocks, wheels, & tires you use for your setup or your ride will not perform as well as you would like it too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts