SR20 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas:

Just got my '91 SE-R today, so I'm looking forward to tuning it up and re-doing the comp test (thanx for the advice there).

Anyways, it has the sagging door problem, and a possible related problem in that the PASSENGER DOOR WON'T OPEN, even from inside or outside. Previous owner said it opens SOMETIMES, which I believe since it opened when I test drove it.

Anyone had a similar experience? I tried simultaneously lifting the door up and opening, from inside and out, and fiddling with the key / inside door pull, and it seems stuck in place. Please help, thanks!

Archie

·
Registered
450 Posts
The heavy door on the classic sagging is a common problem. They are far too heavy for the hinges. Many people have had to replace them. I'm not sure why the other side won't open at all. But I would bet you might be looking at replacing the hinges.

------------------
Erik, 94 Classic with goodies and a matching child car seat!
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

·
jo mom
502 Posts
I got my sagging door fixed when the car was at a body shop getting a new hood and fender. No new hinge. The genius just aligned it on a machine and he didn't even bother to charge me. Sorry i don't know all details cause i was too busy checking the body work. Point is: you may not need hinges cause good body shops can work miracles

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
I replaced the hinges on my driver's door myself. The fact is that the doors on the classics are too long and heavy for the hinge pins, at least over time. Before I replaced them I could move the door vertically several inches when it was open. Now I can't really move it at all.

If you've got access to a floor jack you can do it too. It's a long enough process that if you want to know it email me privately. There's also a good writeup on Se-r.net.

FYI dealership wanted $200 to do it, parts cost me less than $80 (two hinges from dealer @ $35 each and a tube of black silicon sealant from AutoZone, plus paint for the hinges). Took me and a good friend about 3 hours all told, and has been rock solid ever since (did it in July).

------------------
1994 SE-R Super Black
HS CAI, STB, NX console, 15" rolling stock, more to come...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts