SR20 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
ok i read most of this sticky and i was really looking for is this what cam is good to add to my sr20de (95 200sx se-r) im not all good w.the cam mods. so i see peeps posting s3s or s4s. i was think about the jwt cams.What other cams are good like the jwt .is jun good to.Also i was woundering does anyone have a 95-99 200sx se-r w.either cams and what do u think about it thanks for the help and replys

·
Simian Rex
890 Posts
The killer with non-JWT cams is that nobody really knows how good they are. For the money, and the proven results, and the quality of product, nothing beats JWT. S3 for gains all around, S4s for more HP with a slight loss in low-end torque. Period. If you can afford the springs and retainers, JWT C-series cams are even better.

·
The Super Mechanic
645 Posts
Jun cams

Jun cams are real good but there is no support for them. They come with no type of specs to degree the cams. I ran them with the stock degree numbers. I recently put 185 hp and 145 torque with the JUN cams. the jwt is very conservative. I like the tomei stuff better. they give you specs to degree your camshafts properly. How many people have degreed there cams on an sr20. I bet not to many. Regarding the the scc article if you notice the smaller Tomei cams put just as good numbers as the s4. The mid range power of the the car certainly is better than the JWT, but everybody is looking for peak numbers. Remember its not how fast your going its how fast you get there!!!!

·
Simian Rex
890 Posts
Actually, a pretty good number of people are running around with advanced S4s, which lose practically no power below 4000 RPM to S3s, with massive midrange punch and upper HP that still beats S3s by a significant margin. The Tomei cams make me really nervous; I don't like the idea of being able to flake material off of the cam shaft (not lobe, but shaft) with my fingernail.

·
The Super Mechanic
645 Posts
CowboyDren said:
Actually, a pretty good number of people are running around with advanced S4s, which lose practically no power below 4000 RPM to S3s, with massive midrange punch and upper HP that still beats S3s by a significant margin. The Tomei cams make me really nervous; I don't like the idea of being able to flake material off of the cam shaft (not lobe, but shaft) with my fingernail.
advancing the cams should lose bottom end torque and increase rpm, retarding the cams will gain low end power. if you look at the graph the s4 cams will pick up very high in the rpm band. Almost when it is time to shift. I would rather have a pull in a 2500 or 3000 rpm band. cars feel more powerful that way. also the comparison of the cams in that article are horrible who would measure power after it falls off (note the down curve on those graphs.) I have never seen any of there cams flake like that. If they did they would exchange them at no cost im sure. they have a real good customer service. there.

·
Simian Rex
890 Posts
I really, really, really need to read that entire article again. I read it when it was first published, but being the owner of a '95 Saturn and a '94 Tercel at the time, the SR20 stuff only marginally interested me, and I threw out that issue. Does anybody still have the complete article on-hand?

·
Registered
71 Posts
ok guys a question about,with type of head they use pre 94 or post, i know that the stock 91vs 98 was on 91 head, but i dont know in what head were test the S3 and S4?

·
Simian Rex
890 Posts
All tests in that article were on the same head, in the same car, with the same configuration. That's what made the article so good; all factors were equal. The only thing that might be a bad thing was that they didn't show a low-port cam in a low-port head. BFD.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
what the [email protected]$% a stock G20 motor only put out 114 HP?? WHat the hell is going on. Its Rated 140 at the flywheel. Is it possible to lose 26 hp???

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
26 of 140 is close to 15%.

Yes, it is possible and almost all engine-tranny-drivetrains in production loose that much...

Chris

·
the original 4-door SR20
590 Posts
You know what I find weird? The gain from the stillen intake. I always here that the JWT pop/still pop WAI only give you 1-2 hp. But it shows a 6.9hp gain. Not to bad.

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
jamse-r said:
You know what I find weird? The gain from the stillen intake. I always here that the JWT pop/still pop WAI only give you 1-2 hp. But it shows a 6.9hp gain. Not to bad.
Thread from the dead! :eek:

Actually, those numbers are complete BS! Stillen products always claim to produce unproven HP gains. And to be honest, I do not believe that SCC actually provided any support for those dyno runs. They just posted what was provided to them.

As for the cam shoot-out, I know those numbers are a bit more accurate.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts