SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Nissan Sport Magazine
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have been following the GT3 posts in the All-motor section, here's an update on my tubeframe 350Z with SR20 power. Progress has been slow, but sure. Engineering and fabrication have been aided by BMF Performance, out of Brighton, CO. Here is a link to what the engine bay looks like, as of 10/11/05:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/dkmura/839a60a3.jpg

Notice the (admittedly unfinished) stepped header design that comes courtesy of Chowdaboy2's (thanks Mike!) specs and expert opinions. It's a 4-2-1 design that will fit neatly out the left side, with the collector and muffler tucked into the "sidepod" of the 350Z fiberglass bodywork. Why not wrap it around and take it out the passenger side, you ask? Good question: this chassis was built with the fuel cell opposite the driver and all the oil and gas lines routed on the passenger side. We decided it would be better to keep all that heat away from those components take the route that would have fewer bends.

Second, the left side of the picture shows the EFI Solutions quad throttle body setup that came from Tweakit! in Oz. The top mounted injector ports are well positioned with the fuel rail just above them and a carbonfiber airbox mounted on the blue anodized airhorns. I'm leaning towards running RC Engineering low impedence 550 cc injectors, but haven't gotten to that part yet. Also coming up are final choices with TPS and engine mgmt systems. Any suggestions there would be appreciated, although it looks like Simple Digital Systems EM-4D system with one of my older Electromotive HPV-1's might be the most cost-effective way to go. Thoughts?

While you can't see much of it, the lower front section of the SR20 has the Mossy Performance underdrive water pump pulley just showing. After searching most of Nissan's catalog for an effective way to get a 25-30% underdrive (to prevent cavitation above 6.5K), Mossy's piece is an impressive custom piece. My thanks to Greg Vogel and Mossy for their help on solving this problem.

You also can't see too much of the Razor four-stage drysump pump (just a flash of blue on the lower left hand side of the block), but it's there. Tried using a refabbed upper oil pan to fit over the Appleton steering rack, but it was a losing battle. Cris Muhler, of BMF Performance, built a gorgeous billet aluminum pan to provide both clearance and better scavenging for this SR20.

Which brings me to some final thoughts. It's taken plenty of time, $$$ and effort to get this far. But now that SCCA race season is over (at least in this part of the country), I want to consider future development. Once we get this puppy up and running, the next step is a fresh ported and polished head with fresh valve guides, upgraded springs and Ti retainers to go with the C3 cams I already have. Does anyone have a line on such a piece collecting dust on somebody's shelf?

·
Nissan Sport Magazine
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've edited my posts referencing this area and offer my apologizes. My original intent was to see if I could reach a wider audience and see if anyone has a P & P head for sale. I should have thought about what I was doing before I posted. The replys were, predictably, not helpful at all.

Now, for those REALLY interested, here's another close-up pic of the EFI TB; showing the casting quality and fuel rail :

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/dkmura/a3aeaf48.jpg

Also, with the airbox cover off and looking down the 50 mm TB's airhorns:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/dkmura/585c1883.jpg

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
You might want to locate that fuel rail with a third dimension. I can't really tell in that pic, but it looks like there's the 2 brackets that are on the same plane as the injeoctors holding it in? If the rail moves a little, the injectors like to leak. Don't ask me how I know... :D

·
Nissan Sport Magazine
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rockwood said:
You might want to locate that fuel rail with a third dimension. I can't really tell in that pic, but it looks like there's the 2 brackets that are on the same plane as the injeoctors holding it in? If the rail moves a little, the injectors like to leak. Don't ask me how I know... :D
It's hard to tell, but the fuel rail is located on a higher plane than the injectors. There's not much room for a third member and we'll have to get the injectors in and properly plumbed before I take that into consideration. I appreciate your comment as I'd really like to avoid a FIRE on the first installation lap...

BTW- I AM curious how you know about injector leaks- does your setup have a custom fuel rail as well? Where did you locate a third member?

·
Always Different !
812 Posts
How deep is that air box. I want one!

My Jenvey system has 91mm air horns so the box would need to be at least 121mm deep with the cover on. Can you measure it and let me know.
Also, did it come from the same people who made the bodies.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
dkmura said:
BTW- I AM curious how you know about injector leaks- does your setup have a custom fuel rail as well? Where did you locate a third member?
Cause Steve is a monkey, thats how he knows.... ;)

On the fuel rails I build I only use two mounting locations per rail on just about every configuration I make. Thats all you really need, but on the flipside, my mounting brackets are also 1/4" thick as well and dont flex what so ever.

With those brackets that support the fuel rail, it will tend to flex a bit. Not holding the injectors square and you may get some leakage past the orings. Also, your rail doesnt have injector clip bosses, those are pretty handy to have. The injector clips keep the injector locked into the rail.

Hell, if your down for the winter, send me your manifold and ill do the finishing touches ;)

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
My rail leaked because of JGY's chintzy mounting brackets (which were thinner than yours). When I would shift hard, it would sometimes hop and leak. Luckily C16 has a very distinct smell, so I solved the problem before I made a car-b-que. :D

I made my own aluminum ones which were trialgualated by welding another piece to the "side" of it.

You could just make it out of 1/4" angle aluminum, which should be plenty strong. Or you could put another mount where the velocity stacks connect to the ITBs.

·
Nissan Sport Magazine
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll try to consolidate a few replys here. For Bigtoe, I thought you might find the airbox attractive. It did come from Tweakit in Australia, but I'm unsure if EFI Solutions (who built the Quad TBs) is the vendor. I'll try to get measurements next week when I get out to the race shop. Here's a link to the vendor that might have some info in the meantime:

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=120

For Yahnozah- thanks for mentioning the injector clips, I'll consider shipping you the EFI manifolds for your finishing touch, but I need to do more preassembly work before that point. I know it would be great to get this beast up and running before the snow starts seriously flying!

For Rockwood, thanks for giving me the benefit of your experience. I don't want a car BBQ either- LOL! Once the car is together, it will definitely run on a chassis dyno before we take it to the track for testing. I'm sure we'll run into some NVH issues and we'll see how the fuel rail mounting brackets hold up...

Great hearing from everybody! Keep those thoughts and ideas coming!

·
Nissan Sport Magazine
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bigtoe said:
How deep is that air box. I want one!
My Jenvey system has 91mm air horns so the box would need to be at least 121mm deep with the cover on. Can you measure it and let me know.
Also, did it come from the same people who made the bodies.
Thanks.
OK- checked the inside measurements from the airbox and it's 150 mm deep with the cover on. I'd guestimate that your Jenvey airhorns should fit nicely. As I mentioned before, I purchased the entire system from Tweakit!, so I'm not sure if EFI Solutions (who built the TBs) moulded the airbox as well. The airbox is available separately and for about $200 U.S. it's a deal.

·
Nissan Sport Magazine
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick update: the fuel rail now has RC 370cc injectors filling them and just a little tweaking of the support brackets was in order. The front of the engine, including underdrive pulleys for both the WP and alternator (thanks again to Greg Vogel at Mossey Nissan!), is fully dressed out. BMF fabricated a beautifully done magnetic ignition pickup holder in aluminum and things are wrapping up there.

We're spending some major time relocating the seat and some bars in the cockpit (I'd rather not have my legs sawed off at the knees, thank you) and replaced the "kidney buster" Kirkey seat with a 20 degree Ultrashield road racing seat. Back to it...

·
Nissan Sport Magazine
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rockwood said:
Is that a FWD SR?
Steve- The intent of SCCA classifications is to use the USDM motor- unless otherwise specified in the GTCS- so, yes, it is a FWD unit. As everybody knows, it would have been a helluva lot easier to just pop a SR20VE in there!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.